Horizontal scroll jump in list view

Open a Windows 10 file explorer folder containing enough folders/files that, in List Mode, would cause it to display a horizontal scroll bar. Click on any file/folder residing in any column to the right of the left-most column. Instead of the file or folder opening, the click action produces a right horizontal scroll that takes said column one column position to the left.

This was supposed to be by design, but only to fully reveal items that were partially out of sight. Even files that are fully in plain view act in this way.

This is not a new subject.  Every once in a while I check to see if Has there been any progress on fixing this or a workaround?

I don't see this behavior in build 17677.

I view a folder containing many files in list view and click on items that are in columns to the right of the left-most column. If the entire file or folder that I click on is fully visible in the window (e.g. if you hover over it and can see the entire hover rectangle), then it is selected (or opened if I double-click). The content does not horizontally scroll unless the item that I click on is only partially displayed.

Some mouse drivers affect scrolling behavior. What mouse do you use?

Seems to work as expected (scrolling only if selected item is not fully visible) on 17134.

Wow.  After experiencing this for years, and now considering your replies, I just discovered something that never occurred to me.

I don't know if this is the same for you, but if any item in a column "is not fully visible", then the selection of that item or any other item in that column causes the auto-scroll.  If all items are fully visible, no auto-scroll.

5 hours ago, bluemoon_ken said:

Wow.  After experiencing this for years, and now considering your replies, I just discovered something that never occurred to me.

I don't know if this is the same for you, but if any item in a column "is not fully visible", then the selection of that item or any other item in that column causes the auto-scroll.  If all items are fully visible, no auto-scroll.

As far as I know, that is how this has always worked. The "scroll or not scroll" behavior considers the list view column being visible or not, not the width of a single column item. I happened to do my test in a Onedrive synced folder where it is very clear where the columns end, since the Onedrive sync icon is drawn there.