Question

FreqLength is just a very simple little tool I wrote for myself partly just as a hobby/project, and also so I'd have a portable wavelength calculator.  I just posted a new version of it yesterday and thought I would share in case any of you are interested in it or might find it useful.  It takes a given frequency as input and then spits out the wavelength of that frequency.  You can get wavelengths either in open space, or if you provide the velocity factor, it will give you those same wavelengths in a cable with that velocity factor.  This might come in handy for people such as Ham/CB radio operators, or others who deal with radio transmissions and make their own cables.

It's just written in Python, so if you don't trust me (I don't blame you for not trusting some noob on the internet), you can just download and extract the tar archive and then read the "freqlength.py" file with your favorite text/code editor.  The Windows executable is just the python version compiled against Python 3.4 with py2exe, then bundled into an installer with InnoSetup.  Since it's just Python, the version in the tar archive should run on any system with Python installed; Linux, Mac OS, etc.  There is a Linux installation batch script that you can use if you'd like, although it's not necessary to use it; all it does is move the files into /opt/freqlength and stick some icons on the desktop and in your applications menu.  The source files are also installed as part of the Windows installation process, so if you install the Windows version with the .exe but still want to see the source code, just browse to the installation directory and you should see the freqlength.py file in there.

I no longer own any 32 bit machines to compile on (and haven't bothered setting up a 32 bit VM), so the Windows executable version will only run on 64 bit machines, so if you're running a 32 bit version of Windows, you'll have to have Python 3 installed and use the tarball version.  If you're running 64 bit Windows and you don't care about reading the source code, all you need is the Windows executable.

Link: https://sourceforge.net/projects/freqlength/

vfactor.PNG

vfactor2.PNG

vfactor3.PNG

Edited by Gerowen

0 answers to this question

There have been no answers to this question yet