[Review] PocketSprite - Tiny Retro Gaming

dipsylalapo

There’s no denying that retro gaming, for whatever reason, is making a comeback in a big way. Atari recently launched its VCS console which raised over $2M in 2 days and the Nintendo Classic Editions were constantly out of stock

I was lucky and managed to get both Nintendo Classic consoles from Nintendo and both now sit proudly in my living room. This re-ignited my interest in retro gaming and I went on the hunt for my old handhelds. I managed to dig up my old Game Boy Colour, SP and Advance, which I can now enjoy on my commutes to work. 

Neowin posted an article earlier this year about PocketSprite, the tiny retro console and it was something that I had to buy. Check out the article above if you want more information, but I’m going to dive straight into a brief review and my initial thoughts on the device.

I opted for “Hacker” edition, as it involved some self assembly that I was looking forward, but mainly because it was the cheapest :p The device and its pieces came in a neat little box which you can see below. I’m not going to lie, the device was difficult to put together. I had no idea that some of the buttons would be so small and there were some hairy moments when I dropped some of the tiny buttons

IMG_20180426_175519.thumb.png.0bef5b1889c88180160a7f69c77a9588.png

IMG_20180426_175545.thumb.jpg.6a636845691021967148a7fb5e02ffe7.jpg

IMG_20180426_175835.thumb.jpg.e86ad6befa120338c2d47f6cd360604d.jpg

But here's one that I built earlier ;)

IMG_20180426_180437.thumb.jpg.61fef0aa56a57586b59088cb3c5c9f59.jpg

The device was a little confusing to use, there were minimal instructions in the box and as I was one of the first people to get my hands on it, there was limited information online. I managed to figure out how to do most things eventually, but a better set of instructions would have been welcomed.

The little handheld has a few games preloaded: Datastorm, Geometrix and 2048 and others can be acquired. Currently the device supports the following emulators – Game Boy and Game Boy Colour, Sega Master System and Game Gear and they recently added a NES emulator, which is enough to give you your retro fix.

Software updates and game uploads are really simply and simply involve connecting to the devices WiFi and navigating to the devices address. Then it’s a simply case of selecting the files and hitting upload. The platform is completely open source so expect some cool things once developers get their hands on it.

Playing games, is tricky. The battery lasts a few hours, but I think that that’s all that my hands could take. I don’t have large hands but even I struggled a few times to hit the right button, which can make playing games like Mario, where timing can be important, difficult. I’ve got a few images below of Geometrix and Super Maria Bros. The sound is very good, and given the slightly tinny nature of the speaker, it definitely feeds into the whole retro thing. I haven’t spent too much time playing a number of different games, but the ones that I have played, I was pleasantly surprised. The games (mostly) ran with no issues and I was able to save and change games really quickly and simply.

Getting pictures/videos with the game actually running is a tad difficult using a mobile phone, but I've done my best!

IMG_20180608_153100.thumb.jpg.f85f4af8be9417e98a4541d7021d3c2d.jpg

IMG_20180608_153302.thumb.jpg.e5f10c3f7beb4d9fcac8371dc3b90c4c.jpg

A few final thoughts, it’s probably not a device that I would use every day, it's too tiny and I feel like I'm straining my eyes way too much to make out the detail. It's definitely a conversation piece and something you can use occasionally. For something, more every day, I'd prefer something larger with a bigger screen and more important easier controls. 

If you fancy one yourself, head over here and pre-order one. If there's anything that you want to see, leave a post here and I'll do my best to post updates. 

Also my first time writing an article like this so constructive feedback is welcome! :)

xendrome

PocketSprite-Gaming-Emulation.gif?491172

Way too small, who even though that would be a good idea... :/ any HDMI output?

dipsylalapo

Unfortunately no HDMI output 

It's a bit of a gimmick but does work well (apart from the size)

• 1 month later...
+warwagon

So Stupid.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Namerah S
      NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Vol. 1 and 2 coming to consoles and PC on June 18
      by Namerah Saud Fatmi

Japanese video game developer and publisher Bandai Namco has announced two collective compilations of its retro arcade games called the NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Volume 1 and Volume 2. Both installments are to feature 11 classic games each, making the combined offering of both volumes 22 titles.

Some of the titles included in Bandai Namco's upcoming classic arcade collection duo have never been released in Western countries before. A comprehensive list of games which will be included in each volume is given below.

NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Volume 1:

Galaxian Xevious Mappy Dragon Buster Pac-Man Dig-Dug The Tower of Druaga Sky Kid Dragon Spirit: The New Legend Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti Pac-Man Championship Edition NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Volume 2:

Battle City Pac-Land Dig Dug II Super Xevious Galaga Rolling Thunder Mappy-Land Legacy of the Wizard Dragon Buster II Mendel Palace Gaplus Both volumes of Bandai Namco Asia's newly announced two-part series NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES are developed in partnership with Japanese game maker B.B. Studio, one of its own subsidiaries. Both collections will offer features which the retro titles did not have previously such as save points, wide-screen support, better playability and more.

The NAMCO MUSEUM ARCHIVES Volume 1 and 2 will be available on multiple platforms including the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC via Steam. Both retro compilations are due out June 18, 2020.

• By News Staff
      Save 20% off the 8BitDo SN30 Bluetooth Gamepad
      by Steven Parker

Today's highlighted deal comes via our Gear + Gadgets section of the Neowin Deals store, where for only a limited time you can save 20% off the 8BitDo SN30 Bluetooth Gamepad. Play your favorite games retro style with this Game Boy pocket inspired bluetooth gamepad.

What's the deal?
      8BitDo is a premier video game hardware company with a special focus on retro-themed game controllers. Inspired by the original Game Boy Pocket, 8BitDo brings you the SN30 Bluetooth Gamepad. Compatible with Windows, Android, macOS, Steam, Raspberry Pi, and Switch, you can enjoy your favorite game like the good old days but through your modern-day device! It's powered by a 480mAh rechargeable Li-on battery, giving you 18 hours of great play. Go retro in the digital world with 8BitDo.

Inspired by the original Game Boy Pocket Controller modes: X-input, D-input, Mac mode, Switch mode Wirless Bluetooth connectivity 18-hour playtime & 1 to 2 hours of charging time Good to know
      Ships To Contiguous US Expected Delivery: Dec 16 - Dec 23 All sales final. For a full description, specs, and terms, click here.

What's the benefit?
      The 8BitDo SN30 Bluetooth Gamepad normally costs $29.99, but you can pick it up for just $23.99 for a limited time, that's $6 (20%) off.

The Game Pad comes in four colors, Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green, however at the time of writing the Blue variant is sold out.

>> Click here to purchase or learn more about it <<
      See all discounted Gear + Gadgets on offer. This is a time-limited deal.

Save even more!
      Stick with Neowin Deals and earn credit or even deeper discounts.

Check out our recent deals here or on the Neowin Deals site. For every $25 spent, you get $1 credit added to your Neowin Deals account. Refer the deal for $10 credit via social media or email and if it results in a purchase of at least $10, you'll get $10 credit added to your account. 10% off for first-time buyers: be sure not to dismiss the popup offer to subscribe to email updates on the deals page in order to profit! Not for you?
      If this offer doesn't interest you, why not check out our giveaways on the Neowin Deals website? There's also a bunch of freebies you can check out here.

Miscellany and the fine print!
      In some cases, such as with Online Courses, a store credit refund within 15 days of purchase is possible if you are unhappy with it; this does not apply to all deals, so please do check the terms on the page before making a purchase.

Check our other recent deals, before they expire, or our preferred partner software for Private Internet Access and NordVPN deals.

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: This is a StackCommerce deal or giveaway in partnership with Neowin; an account at StackCommerce is required to participate in any deals or giveaways. For a full description of StackCommerce's privacy guidelines, go here. Neowin benefits from shared revenue of each sale made through our branded deals site, and it all goes toward the running costs. *Values or percentages mentioned above are subject to StackCommerce's own determination of retail pricing.

• By News Staff
      Retro Gaming on Raspberry Pi - free eBook
      by Steven Parker

Interested in building a retro gaming machine with a Raspberry Pi? Claim your complimentary eBook for free today, before the offer expires!

What's it about?
      Virtual reality gaming is on the rise. Mobile gaming is increasingly popular. Playing MMOs with headsets for voice chat and streaming the experience is all the rage.

Experts predicted all this years ago.

But who could have foreseen the rise of retro gaming? What sane person could have guessed that a credit card-sized single-board computer would become instrumental in the retro gaming explosion?

The versatile Raspberry Pi can emulate a vast collection of gaming platforms. Here’s what you need to know about RetroPie ROMs, downloads, and more.

Download the free eBook today!

How to get it
      Please ensure you read the terms and conditions to claim this offer. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this free offer. If you have previously made use of these free offers, you will not need to re-register. While supplies last!

>> Retro Gaming on Raspberry Pi - Free eBook <<
      Offered by MakeUseOf, view other free resources | Limited time offer.

Not for you?
      That's OK, there are other free eBooks on offer you can check out here, but be aware that these are all time-limited offers. If you are uncomfortable sharing your details with a third-party sponsor, we understand. Or via our preferred partner:

How can I disable these posts? Click here.

Disclosure: A valid email address is required to fulfill your request. Complete and verifiable information is required in order to receive this offer. By submitting a request, your information is subject to TradePub.com's Privacy Policy.

• By zikalify
      Fedora Project marks 15th anniversary of Fedora Core 1
      by Paul Hill

Image via Fedora Magazine The Fedora Project is celebrating 15 years since it released Fedora Core 1, the start of a very popular Linux distribution. As a present to the community, a virtual disk image of Fedora Core 1 has been compiled for users to try out in GNOME Boxes – virtualisation software that comes bundled with Fedora Workstation by default.

The Fedora Linux Project was initially established by a community of Red Hat Linux users with the aim of packaging software that was not a part of the core Red Hat Linux product. Just a few months after launching the Fedora.us homepage it was announced that Red Hat Linux Project was merging with Fedora Linux Project to create the Fedora Project. Explaining what happened next, Fedora user Link Dupont, said:

Fedora Core 1 which launched 15 years ago, today, introducing several packages that are familiar to a lot of Linux users, including dbus, epiphany, nano, rhythmbox, and yum. The then-new distribution shipped with GNOME 2.4 which was released in September 2003.

Fedora Core 1 shipped with Mozilla Suite as the default browser because the browser maker, Mozilla, was still to release Firefox as a stand-alone browser at the time. It also shipped with OpenOffice.org, Evolution, gAIM (now known as Pidgin), and X-Chat (an IRC client that’s still in use today).

On the hardware front, Fedora Core 1 was optimised for Pentium PRO CPUs but support other Pentium-class CPUs. A 400 MHz Pentium II was recommended for a graphical install while a 200 MHz Pentium-class or better could handle text-mode. In terms of memory, it was recommended to use 256 MB for a graphical install but 192 MB was also acceptable. Text-mode could be used with just 64 MB. It was also recommended that you have 2.4 GB storage for a Workstation installation and just 1.9 GB for the ‘Personal Desktop’.

If you grabbed a copy of Fedora 29 the other day or have a machine with GNOME Boxes installed and want to try out this legacy release of Fedora, be sure to grab the pre-compiled virtual image.

• By Hamza Jawad
      The GPD WIN 2, a Windows 10 gaming handheld, is now available for pre-order
      by Hamza Jawad

Image via Youtube Back in March, we took a look at the GPD WIN, a gaming handheld running Windows 10. The device managed to attract plenty of attention in the Windows community, particularly due to its capability to handle a wide array of tasks. A few months later, it was revealed that a successor to the company's popular pocket PC could be on the horizon. This was confirmed last month, when GPD revealed detailed specifications for the device, as well as announcing that it would be available through Indiegogo starting on January 15.

Yesterday, the GPD WIN 2 finally became available for pre-order at an initial price of $599. However, that price was only available for the first 1,000 buyers. Currently, the gaming handheld can be purchased for $649, which still is $250 cheaper than its final retail price of $899.

The specifications are:

6-inch 16:9 Sharp 720p touchscreen protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 4 Intel Kaby Lake Core m3-7Y30 processor with Intel HD Graphics 615 8GB DDR3 RAM 128GB internal storage via M.2 card, can be replaced for expansion Dual analog sticks produced by ALPS Japan with vibration motors 4900mAh battery x 2 (rated for six to eight hours of use) USB Type-C, 3.5mm headphone jack, USB 3.0 Type-A port, microSD slot, Micro HDMI As can be observed, it is quite similar in design to its predecessor. However, the control sticks and button positions are different from the original layout, and the display size falls at exactly 6 inches, 0.5 inches larger the previous installment. Similarly, the WIN 2 has received a considerable bump in other departments as well, packing twice as much RAM and internal storage as the original WIN. This leads to a much better gaming performance - particularly with regards to AAA titles; GPD claims that it can run Grand Theft Auto V at around 40 frames per second on maximum settings. Moreover, two batteries, each holding a capacity of 4900mAH, will provide around six to eight hours of use.

Shipping is expected to begin in May. The final product has not been finished as of yet. The GPD WIN 2 will eventually cost around $550 more than its predecessor, and it will be interesting to see whether the powerful handheld manages to live up to the gaming community's expectations.

Source and Image: Indiegogo

Be sure to follow us @NeowinGaming on Twitter for the latest gaming news updates!