Supreme Court upholds Ohio voter registration purge policy

4 minutes ago, DConnell said:

That might work, assuming that most eligible citizens have a driver's license or non-driver's ID.

Some states allow illegals to vote so that would not work there considering a lot do not have drivers licenses.

Anyway, always will have those who do not like change .  Cannot please everyone.

3 minutes ago, techbeck said:

Some states allow illegals to vote so that would not work there considering a lot do not have drivers licenses.

Illegals shouldn't be voting - it's a right for citizens.

I'd call that all the more reason to tie it to driver's licenses/state IDs.

2 minutes ago, DConnell said:

Illegals shouldn't be voting - it's a right for citizens.

I'd call that all the more reason to tie it to driver's licenses/state IDs.

Some cities are allowing it.  Illegals/non citizens are given the right to vote in certain elections.  I don't think they can vote at a federal level, but state/local...sure.

23 hours ago, FloatingFatMan said:

Which is the whole point.  If they're not informed you've moved or died, how else are they to know? Do they leave you registered forever, so that someone else can use your vote?  Of course not.  De-registering is the simplest and easiest way to fix this, and re-registering should be no harder than a 5 minute form.

Over here, they send you a card every couple of years. You just sign it and send it back, postage prepaid... Takes 2 minutes, tops.

Obviously the answer is to do an investigation on each coid registration - track down the person and personally provide them with a form to preserve their right to vote. ?

Or you know, just purge inactive records and let the person re-register if they care to.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Buttus said:

why don't they just link it to or combine it drivers licenses?   no one is complaining about having to renew their drivers license, so just add voting registration to it? (you can deny or re-register, whichever you choose)

if your drivers license expires, so does your voting registration

Ever hear of Motor Voter (National Voter Registration Act of 1993)? In 44  states (6 are exempted*) you're re-registered when you renew your license or do an address change.

Problems arose when 1) states weren't in compliance (esp. California, Nevada and North Carolina) and 2) people don't change their address with SoS/DMV when they move.

*North Dakota, Idaho, Minnesota, New Hampshire, Wisconsin and Wyoming

7 hours ago, techbeck said:

Some cities are allowing it.  Illegals/non citizens are given the right to vote in certain elections.  I don't think they can vote at a federal level, but state/local...sure.

There's only one voter registration so enforcing 'state/local elections only' for  illegals becomes a ridiculous exercise, so illegals do end up voting in federal elections. 

On 6/11/2018 at 5:44 PM, DocM said:

You can register by mail or online, and for those who are handicapped or infirm many municipalities and aid organizations will send a social worker.

Once registered you can vote normally or reguest an absentee ballot and vote early by mail. 

If not registered you can go to the polls and use a "provisional ballot," which is  guaranteed under HAVA (Help America Vote Actof 2002). A provisional ballot is used when,

the voter refuses to show a photo ID (where required), or

the voter's name does not appear on the precincts voter list, or

the voter's registration contains incorrect or outdated information (wrong address, spelling, etc.)

The provisional ballot being counted depends on verification of the voter's eligibility; showing a birth certificate or certified copy, state ID, driver's license, a bill with their name & current address etc.

These are not unreasonable standards or insurmountable barriers. 

They will literally let you vote even if you're not registered. This should be the end of this argument lol.

Seriously people, don't apologize for others' (or your) lack of effort to go vote. There are a plethora of resources.

Resource item #1 on the following page by the US Election Assistance Commission offers the national mail voter registration form in ten languages: https://www.eac.gov/voters/resourcesforvoters/

I found this page with a quick google search for "Voting Resources": https://lmgtfy.com/?q=voting+resources

If you have, or know someone who has, a cellphone or computer, you can register to vote. If you have a public library or a senior center with even a single computer in your town/city, you can register to vote. If you're reading this post, you can register to vote.

This is not a bipartisan issue. This is an "oh poor me" issue. If you feel strongly about voting, make it a priority. I can't make you vote.

As DocM said, "these are not unreasonable standards or insurmountable barriers."

• Thanks 2

I didn't read the thread nor the newspiece, but apparently the dead often vote in our villages, so I agree that should be a vote cleanup/lookup or vital record comparison before every election/referendum.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/13/2018 at 1:50 PM, tiagosilva29 said:

I didn't read the thread nor the newspiece, but apparently the dead often vote in our villages, 

Especially in the People's Republic of Chicago ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1