• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

  • 0

New Remote Desktop Software

Question

sikhwarrior    18

Hi all, 

I have been using TeamViewer for the last 6+ years and all of a sudden TeamView goes "You am using a business connection" and it times out after using it for 5 minutes. I have checked my network status to see it is in fact set as private as I am using my home network for both devices. 

 

My question is, is there any software that anyone use that they could recommend that is free and easy to use similar to TeamViewer.

 

Thanks in advance for suggestions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

23 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
Brandon H    2,097

have you reported the issue to TeamViewer? likely a bug you're hitting that they could fix with an update; never had the issue myself and I use TeamViewer pretty religiously on my home computer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,524

I have heard of AnyDesk, but you need to pay for business use...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
farmeunit    611

Remote Utilities is free for Small Business and Personal use.

 

https://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/licensing.php

 

I have not seen that issue, either, as Brandon said.  I do notice that sometimes it freezes and I just have to restart it, but that's not too often.  It doesn't crash, I just can click on anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sc302    1,571

I believe screenconnect (now connectwise control) is fairly inexpensive (free for a single tech) and would do the job you are looking for....gone are the days of free, at least something that isn't buggy/laggy/slow/doesn't frequently disconnect/etc.

 

 

https://www.connectwise.com/software/control/pricing

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sikhwarrior    18
19 hours ago, Brandon H said:

have you reported the issue to TeamViewer? likely a bug you're hitting that they could fix with an update; never had the issue myself and I use TeamViewer pretty religiously on my home computer.

It was working fine a week ago and bam it started to pop up with the alerts. 

 

19 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

I have heard of AnyDesk, but you need to pay for business use...

I use teamviewer for personal use.

19 hours ago, Jim K said:

Already sent them a report about this but it is strange as last week it was working fine, I have not updated TeamViewer for a few months now. 

19 hours ago, farmeunit said:

Remote Utilities is free for Small Business and Personal use.

 

https://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/licensing.php

 

I have not seen that issue, either, as Brandon said.  I do notice that sometimes it freezes and I just have to restart it, but that's not too often.  It doesn't crash, I just can click on anything.

 

16 hours ago, sc302 said:

I believe screenconnect (now connectwise control) is fairly inexpensive (free for a single tech) and would do the job you are looking for....gone are the days of free, at least something that isn't buggy/laggy/slow/doesn't frequently disconnect/etc.

 

 

https://www.connectwise.com/software/control/pricing

 

Will have a test of these two bits of software. Thanks for the suggestions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Mindovermaster    1,524
20 hours ago, sikhwarrior said:

I am using a business connection...

 

3 minutes ago, sikhwarrior said:

I use teamviewer for personal use.

Sounds farfetched... but personal version is free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,201
20 hours ago, sikhwarrior said:

I am using my home network for both devices.

So your using it for a lan connection from 1 device to another on the same network, or both local on different subnet?  Or you actually remote on 1 at a different location going over the internet?

 

If your line in fact a business connection even for home/personal use its quite possible TV identifies this line (based on IP for example) as a business connection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sc302    1,571
1 hour ago, BudMan said:

So your using it for a lan connection from 1 device to another on the same network, or both local on different subnet?  Or you actually remote on 1 at a different location going over the internet?

 

If your line in fact a business connection even for home/personal use its quite possible TV identifies this line (based on IP for example) as a business connection.

I think there are a few things at play that flag teamviewer accounts.  1 is the IP, but I think also the amount of use of the product could flag it.  I use it seldomly to connect to problematic parents computers from my work computer, I have yet to get flagged simply by my static address.   I have about 20 or so computers on my account between brothers/sisters/in laws/parents/cousins.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sikhwarrior    18

My ISP is Virgin Media and is a home line not a business line. The only thing that has changed is my laptop updated to the Windows 10 April update.  When I mean personal I mean the same as what sc302 use it for. Help non - technical family members devices and to also keep my devices in check.  Like I said a week ago all was fine I had no issues, the only thing I can recall that has changed is my OS being updated, but that would be totally strange and far fetched to blame for this. 

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

I think there are a few things at play that flag teamviewer accounts.  1 is the IP, but I think also the amount of use of the product could flag it.  I use it seldomly to connect to problematic parents computers from my work computer, I have yet to get flagged simply by my static address.   I have about 20 or so computers on my account between brothers/sisters/in laws/parents/cousins.

Remote Utilities looks good might try them out, while TeamViewer sorts it's self out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
satukoro    1,346

I've been using Chrome Remote Desktop lately and it works beautifully for a basic console connection.

I use it from my phone to control my desktop to watch HBO stuff in HD on my TV because comcast still believes in 480p as a baseline and I only have so many hdmi inputs on my TV so my fire stick is in another room.

 

Sorry about the preposition horror.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+BudMan    3,201

I am using a business connection

My ISP is Virgin Media and is a home line not a business line

 

Which is it?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    2,097
7 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I am using a business connection

My ISP is Virgin Media and is a home line not a business line

 

Which is it?? 

I think you need to re-read the OP budman

 

he's saying that's the message TeamViewer is giving before it kicks him out. the connection is his home personal connection.

 

Quote

TeamView goes "I am using a business connection" and it times out

added "" to make the statement more clear

 

 

edit: @sikhwarrior have you tried checking with your ISP? It's possible you were accidentally assigned a business class IP when the IP Lease refreshed on their end for your router.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sikhwarrior    18
18 minutes ago, BudMan said:

I am using a business connection

My ISP is Virgin Media and is a home line not a business line

 

Which is it?? 

I am not using a business line. 

 

17 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

I think you need to re-read the OP budman

 

he's saying that's the message TeamViewer is giving before it kicks him out. the connection is his home personal connection.

 

added "" to make the statement more clear

 

 

edit: @sikhwarrior have you tried checking with your ISP? It's possible you were accidentally assigned a business class IP when the IP Lease refreshed on their end for your router.

Brandon H is right I am using a home connection.  Maybe I should have put in quotes or highlighted it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Gerowen    1,182
Posted (edited)

Since both machines are on your home network, I would just use the regular old Remote Desktop that's built into Windows.  Honestly though, I don't know why Teamviewer would give you issues, try making sure that it's up to date and that your router itself isn't freaking out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+xrobwx    753

I too used Teamviewer and was seeking something less expensive at my store. I am now using Splashtop and it has worked great for 4 months now with less than half the cost of Teamviewer. They have a free version as well. https://www.splashtop.com/personal

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    12,143

I'm currently using "connectwise" .. not the free version but the paid.. and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it compared to gotoassist. (That problematic buggy piece of ######*at least for me*)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Sulphy    1,426

Have a go at Remote Desktop Manager... https://remotedesktopmanager.com/

 

I use it, and the first 30 days you have access to the full suite, after that, it goes into free/personal mode, and has limited features. But RDP still works perfectly fine!

 

Even if you buy a license, its a helluva lot cheaper than TeamViewer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
DConnell    6,399

I'll toss Splashtop into the ring. Free for local connections, $60/yr for off-site, up to ten hosts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+xrobwx    753
21 hours ago, warwagon said:

I'm currently using "connectwise" .. not the free version but the paid.. and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE it compared to gotoassist. (That problematic buggy piece of ######*at least for me*)

Looks interesting, the price is about the same as Splashtop. I'm always looking for better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
+warwagon    12,143
37 minutes ago, xrobwx said:

Looks interesting, the price is about the same as Splashtop. I'm always looking for better. 

Things i Love about it. 

 

1) You can leave a session but keep it open and go to a different machine and start the session with the customer back up <--- Probably my favorite feature compared to gotoassist.

2) Each remote session is in its own window

3) Its not on top of everything else. Gotoassist when you would full screen would always be on top of everything. So to get to a folder you would have to resize gotoassist and move it out of the way. I begged for a "always on top" checkmark box that I could uncheck, but they never gave it to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Brandon H    2,097

looks like the detecting commercial use is a bug that's starting to spread in TeamViewer going by the comment on this FPN article. you may have been an early victim of the bug OP

 

https://www.neowin.net/news/teamviewer-1325287#comment-598314310

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
sikhwarrior    18
On 7/25/2018 at 2:22 PM, Brandon H said:

looks like the detecting commercial use is a bug that's starting to spread in TeamViewer going by the comment on this FPN article. you may have been an early victim of the bug OP

 

https://www.neowin.net/news/teamviewer-1325287#comment-598314310

Sorry guys been busy, but an update so initial I had emailed TeamViewer support whilst posting this question. It is indeed a bug as the TeamViewer team fixed my issue by setting my licence accordingly. 

 

Back to using TeamViewer tried some of the other suggestions but this software just works for me. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.