Aussies! - Region "0" Available

Hi Guys,

I learnt today that I can go down to my local Bing Lee and buy a Region 0 (region free) dvd player, with no mods, and with native NTSC playback etc. I did not know this. I was under the impression that DVD companies still held onto the whole region specific standards? Anyways I quickly snapped up a LG VCR/DVD combo (6 head vcr, DVD DTS). Just letting you know that you can buy them. The guy said the sony and panasonic models that where on sale where region free also. What do you guys think? Do other shops sell region free players? Will I experience any problems with these?

Cheers guys and I hope no one considers what I wrote spam or anything.

Cheers and please offer your thoughts on the region free issue.

hrmm normally dont see em available at large chain stores, all the little electrical joints seem to sell em here in AUS. then again Harvey Norman told me how to make mine region free after I brought it from em.

Hmm.. Is it region free? Or just capable of playing Region 0 DVD discs? A region free DVD player would be sweet

arent these two the same things Region 0 is just another name for region free?

The guy at the shop said that those free brands are capable of playing any region, with both PAL and NTSC playback. Even though it still has a 4 (region 4) on the back, it still is a region free player.

A region 0 disc is one that plays on any player, regardless of the zone, whereas a region free player can play all regions, eg. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

The Xbox makes a pretty good DVD player... Region AND MacroVision free. I can use it on my old TV through my VCR.

what the.. i've had this region-free Sony DVD player that plays anything i throw in it for about a year now.

i thought you were saying that we have region-free DVDs in JB Hifi when i read the title. :/

A region 0 disc is one that plays on any player, regardless of the zone, whereas a region free player can play all regions, eg. 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Right. I understand. Onr thing refers to discs (region 0) and the other refers to players (region free) thank's. Well looks like i just picked up a device that can play any dvd, any region right?