Word 2016 Formatting

Question

I recently forwarded a co-worker my resume for review. I have my contact information as a page header since my resume is on multiple pages. When I open the file on my computer, I can see the header. They opened the file on their computer with the same version of Word and the header was missing. The only thing I can think of was that somehow they opened the file and got a different layout view. Just wondering if there is anything else that would cause the header to not display when someone else opens it? 

I've sent this same file to multiple people over the last few days both from my personal computer and work computer. This is the first time I was made aware that the contact information that I have setup as a page header was not showing up.

3 answers to this question

Two suggestions from me, as I am looking for new work myself at the moment:

1) You mention it's multiple pages. Never make your CV longer than two pages. I know you only said "multiple pages" and not a specific number, but it's good advice. As a general rule someone looking for an employee out of the numerous requests received won't bother with something that is too long.

2) Convert the Word document to a PDF. It standardizes the formatting on all computers. I'm slightly surprised that when applying for a job they didn't stipulate that they wanted it in a PDF format.

• Like 3

Certain views in Word don’t show page headers and footers but a document should open in the same view it was saved in. 

Maybe be your coworker is at fault here?

4 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Two suggestions from me, as I am looking for new work myself at the moment:

1) You mention it's multiple pages. Never make your CV longer than two pages. I know you only said "multiple pages" and not a specific number, but it's good advice. As a general rule someone looking for an employee out of the numerous requests received won't bother with something that is too long.

2) Convert the Word document to a PDF. It standardizes the formatting on all computers. I'm slightly surprised that when applying for a job they didn't stipulate that they wanted it in a PDF format.

It honestly never occurred that I should submit a PDF. At least with a PDF, it can't be edited. 

I've actually got 3 1/2 pages of content. I don't have much practical experience, so I'm trying to expand on education as much as possible.