PS 2 on your computer monitor...

[Does anyone know if it's possible to connect your ps2 to your computer monitor?...do you have to do it through your PC tv in or is the some kind of adapter that could work? :whistle:

You can get this device by Viewsonic that costs abt $100 which lets you connect cable, dvd/vcr/xbox/ps2.

I forgot what it is called but I am sure it is on their site.

When I had a TV card, I plugged the video input cable into it, then just used the card's viewing program to watch it. I can't remember what I did with the sound cables, but I remember that there was sound! :punk:

yeah... it's much better on a TV than a monitor, unless your monitor doubles as a TV. I plugged in my GC (don't flame) to my ATI AIW card when I first got it, and the screen was blurred, and had the shakes. It will seriously damage your eyes.

I hooked up a ps2 to my PC via a Winfast TV200XP PCI card and found the games quite playable.

I read that the reason the image quality is not as good as when viewed on a TV is due to the fact that the PS2 gains a bit of antialiasing and motion-blur on the TV while not on the PC. This is because PC monitors are needed to view small text whereas TV's are not.

I could however be talking out of my (not in-talkative) arse.

I usually use TV-out on my video card to watch videos on my TV instead of PCs. Why do I do this? Because the TV looks much better. I think its because its set at a low resolution, which is good for looking at movies. Higher resolution is better for games and video designed for high resolution (I think that's how it works :)); stuff like high-resolution DVDs and PC games are designed for the high resolution PC monitors. A VCD (its VHS quality) looked like utter crap on my PC monitor, but when I used the TV-out to the TV, it looked perfect.

Since most PS2 games are designed for low resolutions iirc (there are exceptions, like that Terminator game which supports high resolutions), it should look better on TV than PC.

I ran my xbox into my PC (and am planning on doing it this year at Uni as I won't have a TV). Just ran it into a TV tuner card and made some adapters for the audio so i could plug it into my soundcard. It didn't look as good as the TV (though I was used to a 86cm widescreen) but you could make it look better by playing with monitor resolution/refresh rate/interlacing etc etc. Though I'm not sure how PS2 video out works, might be TOTALLY different to xbox.

it just seems whenever u enter a Toys R US or compUSA .......the console systems are connected to a pc monitor (LCD) of some kind. When u ask an employee what kind of monitor it is, you always get the standard answer.....DUH I DONT KNOW.......*sigh*

I'm reading a whole bunch of toss posted here. Look at this: http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=219&

My mate uses a PC monitor for his PS2 (not through a PC, connected directly). The picture quality is far superior to that of a TV. It looks crisper, the colours are more vivid, the contrast is a lot better. Ok it's a smaller picture, but no big deal.

And no. He does not have a shoddy TV, it's just that monitors are better!

you buy a VD-Z3 from http://www.vdigi.com/ for $50.

VGA Transcoder

Progressive Scan 480p, 720p, 540p / 1080i

2 In 1 Out (YrPrPb In & VGA In; VGA Out) with switching

XBOX, GAMECUBE, PS2 Progressive Output Supported

High compatibility for CRT, LCD monitors

Easy configuration

Brightness adjustment

VD-Z3 Specification:

Input

Component In (Y, Pr, Pb)

VGA In (Black colour, DSUB 15 PIN VGA FEMALE)

DC Power Jack (Input voltage range: 7 ? 9V; Input current range: 350mA ? 600mAOutput

VGA Out (Blue colour, DSUB 15 PIN VGA FEMALEVideo Bandwidth

145MHz@-3dB

*Highest Supported VGA in Signal 1280 x 1024@60HSupported Component In Video Modes

480i**, 480p, 720p, 1080i / 540p @60Hz

Automatic format, output the highest resolution available

Input and Output at same scanning formaSupported Sync. Modes

Separate RGBHV sync

Composite RGB sync (RGBsSupported Consoles (Progressive Output)

XBOX, GAMECUBE, PInput Source LED Indicator

Power / VGA ByPass LED (Orange when on)

Component In (Blue when on)

*For the best performance of VGA ByPass, the recommended resolution is 1024 x 768 @ 75 Hz, and VGA cable with ferrite core filter is highly recommend. (Distortion may occur if you use normal VGA cable with no filter.)

**480i Setup mode only workable under RGBHV sync mode, you can use it or not depends on your monitor, not all monitor support this simplified 480i setup mode, this simplified 480i setup mode can display a incomplete screen, so that you can set the XBOX dashboard on your monitor directly. (XBOX dashboard is in 480i). It is not guaranteed that you can use this feature.

***Support NTSC version of XBOX, not Pal. version.

I was reading this thread thinking that SOMEONE had to come up with the component video solution. Looks like Blizzard got the award :).

Seriosuly, unless you're hooking up DIRECTLY to the monitor with component video and a component->VGA converter, don't bother. It'll look like crap.

Mike

"Looks like Blizzard got the award :)."

ohhhh... :blush: thank you! thank you! thank you! :woot:

I want to thank my mom, my dad my dog and of course my manager and all my fans... God knows how hard I'd worked to get this award... :p

upppsss... grammy weekend fever... ;)

well, at least i didn't have the need to show my boobs to get this award ;)