I want to app-ify Xero.com

derekaw

I regularly use Xero.com for my accounts but I want to app-ify it so it behaves like a Mac App and has an icon in the dock etc.

I have tried a few things including a site where you entered the URL and ended up with a google chrome extension but I think those instructions were old and Chrome now handles extensions differently. I tried creating a manifest file (or something) but I got an error when I opened it with Chrome and did not know where to go next. Again, I think that those directions were old and out of date.

I expect that my problem must have already been solved by some smart person here so I am asking for help.

I have the latest version of MacOS and I have the latest version of Google Chrome, does anyone know the best way to wrap up a web site so it works an as App? Im happy to use Safari if you have a solution that needs Safari.

Thanks, Derek.

• 2 weeks later...
linettereed

You can use shell scripts to app-ify the website.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rich Woods
      Apple releases iOS 14.0.1 with default app setting fix
      by Rich Woods

If this was a normal year, we'd all have been downloading iOS 14 yesterday, and waiting to pick up our iPhone 12 devices tomorrow. But it's not a normal year, the iPhone 12 is delayed from its normal timeframe, and Apple didn't have to tie iOS 14 to its release, so it actually released the OS last week. Now, the first bug fix updates are rolling out in the form of iOS 14.0.1, iPadOS 14.0.1, watchOS 7.0.1, tvOS 14.0.1, and macOS 10.15.7 Catalina.

The iOS and iPadOS updates do fix a key issue. iOS 14, for the first time, offered the ability to choose a default browser or a default email client. There was an issue though, as users quickly found that that setting was reset upon rebooting their device. This update fixes that.

There are plenty of other fixes as well. There are fixes for widgets, such as a fix for an issue that prevented images from appearing in News. There are also camera fixes if you're still using an iPhone 7 or 7 Plus, and there's a fix for connecting to Wi-Fi networks. Finally, Apple listed a fix for an issue with sending emails with some mail providers.

The updates are rolling out now, although there are already minor updates in beta.

• By indospot
      Google is permanently removing paid extensions from the Chrome Web Store
      by João Carrasqueira

Earlier this year, Google decided to temporarily suspend the ability to create paid browser extensions on the Chrome Web Store. While temporary, there was no set date for the measure to be reverted, and as it turns out, it won't be. Google has announced (as spotted by 9to5Google) that the ability to publish new paid items on the Chrome Web Store is now disabled permanently as of yesterday, September 21.

The initial ban was put in place due to the high number of fraudulent transactions, but that reasoning wasn't mentioned anywhere in Google's announcement. The company simply says there are many more methods available for developers to monetize their extensions, and that they'll need to migrate to one of them if they're interested in monetizing extensions.

The payment and licensing system will be shut down gradually over the next few months. As of today, developers can't create new paid items on the Chrome Web Store, and free trials for existing items will be disabled on December 1. On February 1, all payments will be disabled, even for existing items.

However, the licensing API will remain active for a while longer, and while it will be eventually shut down, Google didn't provide a date for that to happen yet. In the meantime, it can still be used to track users with active licenses.

• By Copernic
      Google Chrome 85.0.4183.121 (offline installer)
      by Razvan Serea

The web browser is arguably the most important piece of software on your computer. You spend much of your time online inside a browser: when you search, chat, email, shop, bank, read the news, and watch videos online, you often do all this using a browser.

Google Chrome is a browser that combines a minimal design with sophisticated technology to make the web faster, safer, and easier. Use one box for everything--type in the address bar and get suggestions for both search and Web pages. Thumbnails of your top sites let you access your favorite pages instantly with lightning speed from any new tab. Desktop shortcuts allow you to launch your favorite Web apps straight from your desktop. Chrome has many useful features built in, including automatic full-page translation and access to thousands of apps, extensions, and themes from the Chrome Web Store.

Google Chrome is one of the best solutions for Internet browsing giving you high level of security, speed and great features.

Important to know! The offline installer links do not include the automatic update feature.

Download web installer: Google Chrome Web 32-bit | Google Chrome 64-bit | Freeware
      Download: Google Chrome Offline Installer 32-bit | 62.1 MB
      Download: Google Chrome Offline Installer 64-bit | 63.7 MB
      Download: Google Chrome MSI Installers for Windows (automatic update)
      View: Chrome Website | v85.0.4183.121 Release Notes

Get alerted to all of our Software updates on Twitter at @NeowinSoftware

• By Abhay V
      Google working to add the ability for Chrome to automatically create tab groups
      by Abhay Venkatesh

Google debuted tab groups with Chrome 85, bringing the ability to group similar tabs, rename, and color code them for enhanced tab management. The firm is also set to add the option to collapse groups, which is currently available in Chrome Canary. Now, a new Chromium commit has been spotted that suggests that the search giant is working to add the ability to automatically create groups.

The experimental flag is already present in Chrome Canary under the ‘Tab Groups Auto Create’ name. However, the feature seems to still be under development as enabling the flag does not activate any features. Another entry for the feature details the possible function of the feature. The verbiage suggests that Chrome will be able to automatically create a tab group when users open “a tab with the same domain as its parent tab”.

Other references in the Chromium entry point towards UI elements to enable this feature, a scrollable tab strip, and more. It is not clear as to what other capabilities the feature will bring when it does make it to all users. While the option to create groups for webpages of the same domain is a nifty addition, it will be interesting to see how the feature evolves, and if it intelligently groups pages with similar content, something that could rival the likes of Edge’s Collections.

Source: Chromium Gerrit (1)(2) via Techdows

• By Usama Jawad96
      Google's Advanced Protection Program will now scan risky files on-demand
      by Usama Jawad

Back in 2017, Google announced its Advanced Protection Program (APP) to secure accounts of high-risk individuals such as journalists, business executives, activists and people involved in electoral processes. While the service is free to use, people who enroll in the program may have to pay a fee to procure a security key.

In August 2019, Google stated that for APP users, Chrome will automatically scan for risky downloads, trigger alerts if required, and even block files containing malware from downloading. Now, the firm is making further enhancements to this feature.

In a blog post, Google has highlighted that APP customers are already protected from phishing and Chrome also warns them when downloading risky files. Now, the company is taking this a step further by allowing them to send risky files directly to Google for scanning of potential threats. The tech giant will be using its cloud-hosting Safe Browsing suite of malware detection technology to analyze any files uploaded to its service. Google says:

With the U.S. presidential elections just around the corner - amidst reports of increased cyberattacks - Google has encouraged members of political campaigns to enroll in APP. You can find out more details about the program here.