Chances of being a software engineer?

44 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I’ll just make this post quick since this thread is dead. Ever since I made this thread months ago I’ve started practicing C# not too long ago and also decided that I want to go specialize in scientific computing or data science once I start my CS degree. I also don’t view google as the end all be all anymore and in all honesty have a couple of other companies in mind. 

Always good to keep your options open.

Though awhile ago I had someone told me that they could get me a reference from someone who works at google and also promised me I would get hired on the spot, but I'm, real skeptical about that. 

26 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Though awhile ago I had someone told me that they could get me a reference from someone who works at google and also promised me I would get hired on the spot, but I'm, real skeptical about that. 

I would be very skeptical about that.  You have seen multiple sites reporting about how long the interview process is. 

1 hour ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well, you could always try for the Google career path where you get a $90 million settlement for harassing people...

https://www.nytimes.com/video/technology/100000006192998/google-walkout-sexual-harassment.html

Anyways, it seems that most Google employees do rather boring things and their interview process is a great example of how people that think too much of their intelligence end up being very stupid in the aggregate. They are "regressing to the mean" witheperhaps Google+ being a great example of "smart" people who actually had the resources to challenge Facebook, floundering around like fish out of water due to complete and utter failure of Vision.

In the end, you should have ZERO "companies in mind" and focus on the specific actual project that captivates your fancy and drives your passions far above any mundane thoughts.

You don't find a company first...   and then wait for them to hand out your personal passion on an engraved gift card!

Your two interests:

https://github.com/search?q=scientific+computing

https://github.com/search?q=data+science

And a bonus search:

https://github.com/search?q=machine+learning

Most of the software you will actually work with in those fields is sitting on GitHub right now for your inspection!

I was wondering does majoring in computer engineering come with more options since it’s computer science and electrical engineering rolled into one degree? 

3 hours ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I was wondering does majoring in computer engineering come with more options since it’s computer science and electrical engineering rolled into one degree? 

Any school will be limited by the their world view that they teach humans stuff. It is a "Push Model" of learning that does not map very well to the human brain but does map very well to the school getting money. With this stupid system they will have courses that they provide in various subjects where they pretend they know what you need to learn in various careers. With this scheme, you will endure 10 boring courses per year for 5 years more or less for a total of 50 courses.

So by definition, you can't learn more by taking a different program, just different stuff.

Computer Engineering will have more of a hardware emphasis where you might learn some circuit design, some chip design, some low level programming of tiny embedded and IOT type CPUs, and perhaps some robotics. There will be software courses that might have less theory and more hands on practical value.

There is a newer type of program called "Mecatronics" which is similar to Computer Engineering with tighter focus on Robotics.

Computer Science traditionally has a much higher emphasis on math courses and basic insides of computer software stuff like compiler and operating system design etc.

Some universities will combine computers with a wider variety of other subjects such as "Media Studies" to make unique programs. Some of these unique programs have such a high reputation that the people you meet there will be an actual jumpstart to a career.

The human brain is designed to learn using a "Pull Model" where you develop a passionate interest in something and suck in all the information you can find in your area of interest wherever that leads you. This process appears chaotic to an outside viewer and is very different for each individual and therefore is impossible to "supervise" if you stuff groups of unique humans in a room. So the Teacher's Union spends much effort during the early years of your life training you out of the normal mode of human learning so they can steal this important ability from you and make money from it.

You could in theory attempt to start your journey by taking some time off from formal education to study theories and practices of "Learning How To Learn," "Self Directed Learning" etc including John Holt's "Learning By Doing"

If your mind does not "wake up" then it doesn't really matter which bunch of "out of touch with the real world industry" courses you take at a university other than perhaps careful examination of unique programs that give you access to resources that are hard to assemble at home such as Industrial Robots, Medical Imaging Systems, Media Labs, Silicon Chip Fabrication etc.