Chances of being a software engineer?

1 minute ago, Euphoria said:

So based on your answer you've already set yourself on a path for mediocrity, so to save you time and money... go and study something else... your chances are getting slimmer and slimmer, more I read this thread.

how is it getting slimmer by just posting on a forum? Wow I didn't realize you were a hiring manager at Google and apparently hire people based on forum threads.

6 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well I haven't applied to any software jobs as I'm still in college. Secondly, People on Reddit basically told me that I have no chance whatsoever so idk what to believe. Thirdly I have no work experience  maybe because I have a record.

Run a background check on yourself and see? If it's expunged it won't show. A diversion program might, but highly unlikely, especially if said program resulted in record being expunged.

And not sure why you're aiming toward Google? I mean it's a great goal to push toward, but why not find a local software company to start off at and go from there? They're not going to have nearly the competition that Google has.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, shockz said:

Run a background check on yourself and see? If it's expunged it won't show. A diversion program might, but highly unlikely, especially if said program resulted in record being expunged.

I ran background check on myself a year ago after I did this diversion program and nothing showed up. And what do you mean diversion program might? Are you trying to say that me doing a diversion program basically ruined my chances or me doing a diversion program was basically pointless?

4 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I ran background check on myself a year ago after I did this diversion program and nothing showed up. And what do you mean diversion program might? Are you trying to say that me doing a diversion program basically ruined my chances or me doing a diversion program was basically pointless?

No and you just answered your own question. Your background check is clean, you have no record and nothing to worry about in that regard as a block to getting a job.

18 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Thirdly I have no work experience  maybe because I have a record.

No, you have no work experience because either you haven't applied for any jobs or you do not have the skills for the jobs you applied for and I say that not even knowing what the jobs are that you have applied for. Absolutely nobody is denying you a job simply because of an expunged misdemeanor (except maybe certain government positions) - especially now that you have confirmed it doesn't even show on a background check. So tell us, who has turned you down and what was the position you were applying for?  Have you tried part time contract coding jobs? What exactly are you in school for? What is your current level of ability. You said earlier, "some C++." I'm hoping that isn't the extent of your education.  What did you study last semester? Are you in a summer program? If not, why not? Are you planning to attend any code camps or tech events this summer?  What are your expectations for the fall semester? 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

how is it getting slimmer by just posting on a forum? Wow I didn't realize you were a hiring manager at Google and apparently hire people based on forum threads.

No I do not work for Google but I do interview and hire people for another large company.

Sure going to a prestigious school helps you earn some points, but at the end it's up to you, your skill set and how you can apply it to do your job better then someone else.

Usually these interviews are like a sales pitch, the interviewer is not only interested in your skill set but also how you communicate and deliver. Especially for newbies being able to adapt and learn as you go is a must, also need to be a team player and help others when help is needed.

Your first post here was apparently a second post an year after you asked the same question,... so a year have passed and you are still thinking if you should do something... instead of wasting another year thinking about it, go apply your self and see what kind of feedback you get from employers. Doing interviews is separate skill set, so more interviews you do, better you get. Stop wasting your time thinking on what if scenarios....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

No, you have no work experience because either you haven't applied for any jobs or you do not have the skills for the jobs you applied for and I say that not even knowing what the jobs are that you have applied for. Absolutely nobody is denying you a job simply because of an expunged misdemeanor (except maybe certain government positions) - especially now that you have confirmed it doesn't even show on a background check. So tell us, who has turned you down and what was the position you were applying for?  Have you tried part time contract coding jobs? What exactly are you in school for? What is your current level of ability. You said earlier, "some C++." I'm hoping that isn't the extent of your education.  What did you study last semester? Are you in a summer program? If not, why not? Are you planning to attend any code camps or tech events this summer?  What are your expectations for the fall semester? 

I applied to grocery jobs and dishwasher jobs at restaurants. To be honest I'm still in a associate in science program at a junior college. So far the highest math I took was algebra and I'm taking trig this fall. Also, I haven't attend any summer programs or tech events.

15 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

No I do not work for Google but I do interview and hire people for another large company.

Sure going to a prestigious school helps you earn some points, but at the end it's up to you, your skill set and how you can apply it to do your job better then someone else.

Usually these interviews are like a sales pitch, the interviewer is not only interested in your skill set but also how you communicate and deliver. Especially for newbies being able to adapt and learn as you go is a must, also need to be a team player and help others when help is needed.

Your first post here was apparently a second post an year after you asked the same question,... so a year have passed and you are still thinking if you should do something... instead of wasting another year thinking about it, go apply your self and see what kind of feedback you get from employers. Doing interviews is separate skill set, so more interviews you do, better you get. Stop wasting your time thinking on what if scenarios....

So basically I should just take whatever feedback I get and if that feedback isn't great then now I have to wound up working at a dead end job for the rest of my life?

56 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

well how come people on reddit told me otherwise about getting a software job?

Well they could be right or they could be wrong.  

40 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Well I haven't applied to any software jobs as I'm still in college. Secondly, People on Reddit basically told me that I have no chance whatsoever so idk what to believe. Thirdly I have no work experience  maybe because I have a record.

1. Why don't you apply or apply to internships

2.  People on reddit are people on reddit.  Who cares what they think...do your own thinking.  Stop letting negativity rule you.

3.  You have no work experience because you have not applied yourself.  If your issue has been expunged, you have no record.  You want work, go out there and get it...think positively, work on your people skills, work on your technical skills, and most importantly do stuff on your own to keep up with your skill set and constantly improve.  

No one is going to hand you a job because you are you.  No one is going to give you a job simply because you apply.  No one is going to give you a job because you recite this in a mirror  "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."  You need to put your knowledge in your resume and prove it in an interview.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

I applied to grocery jobs and dishwasher jobs at restaurants. To be honest I'm still in a associate in science program at a junior college. So far the highest math I took was algebra and I'm taking trig this fall. Also, I haven't attend any summer programs or tech events.

OK, so (aside from Google) what is your plan. Forget about the non-existent record, what are your plans? You are doing a two year program. OK, whats after that? Are planning on then attending a four year college to finish your degree? If you are really intent on an actual engineering degree, I hope you like the math classes, you have more than a few more to get through.  Also, you use the term, "Software Engineer."  What do you envision that meaning? What do you see doing as an employee in that role?  Writing mobile apps? Creating/managing data stores for big data? Cloud development, IoT? 

1 minute ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

So basically I should just take whatever feedback I get and if that feedback isn't great then now I have to wound up working at a dead end job for the rest of my life?

Yes and no... You take the feedback and learn out of it... first of all criticism at your age is a good thing, you should ask for constructive criticism at any performance review as this is the time for you to learn, adjust and correct so you can make yourself a better person and an employee... I have not met a single person that is perfect straight out of college, irrelevant of what school they went to ...

Learn how to adjust your interview, resume, your pitch... and in some cases it might be that they just need a specific skill set that you do not acquire, so you'll have to see if getting that skill set would be worthwhile for you or you look for another job where you can be a better match... 

BTW you are 23 so what kind of job you end up doing when you are in your 50s is absolutely up to you.... you have to start from an entry level position, learn, perform, move up... if that is what you want to do...

4 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Well they could be right or they could be wrong.  

1. Why don't you apply or apply to internships

2.  People on reddit are people on reddit.  Who cares what they think...do your own thinking.  Stop letting negativity rule you.

3.  You have no work experience because you have not applied yourself.  If your issue has been expunged, you have no record.  You want work, go out there and get it...think positively, work on your people skills, work on your technical skills, and most importantly do stuff on your own to keep up with your skill set and constantly improve.  

No one is going to hand you a job because you are you.  No one is going to give you a job simply because you apply.  No one is going to give you a job because you recite this in a mirror  "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggone it, people like me."  You need to put it in your resume and prove it in an interview.  

first you tell me people on reddit could be either right or wrong to only go on to say who cares what they think? Secondly why am I gonna apply to a software engineering job and I don't have a degree yet? Your answer is irrelevant. 

12 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

Ah so you are still in school, than finding an internship in the industry you want to work in is the right way to go...

3 minutes ago, Euphoria said:

Yes and no... You take the feedback and learn out of it... first of all criticism at your age is a good thing, you should ask for constructive criticism at any performance review as this is the time for you to learn, adjust and correct so you can make yourself a better person and an employee... I have not met a single person that is perfect straight out of college, irrelevant of what school they went to ...

Learn how to adjust your interview, resume, your pitch... and in some cases it might be that they just need a specific skill set that you do not acquire, so you'll have to see if getting that skill set would be worthwhile for you or you look for another job where you can be a better match... 

BTW you are 23 so what kind of job you end up doing when you are in your 50s is absolutely up to you.... you have to start from an entry level position, learn, perform, move up... if that is what you want to do...

so basically you are telling me i can't get a job in that field now well that sums it all up doesn't it? Look at the words you just said yes and no so in other it can't happen for me now.

2 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

so basically you are telling me i can't get a job in that field now basically? ok well thanks you're no longer needed

No that is absolutely opposite of what I said....With that attitude you will not get a job anywhere, not even as a dishwasher.... good luck!

1 minute ago, Euphoria said:

With that attitude you will not get a job anywhere, not even as a dishwasher.... good luck!

Well in your other post you told me yes and no so you basically telling me it cant happen now

9 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

first you tell me people on reddit could be either right or wrong to only go on to say who cares what they think? Secondly why am I gonna apply to a software engineering job and I don't have a degree yet? Your answer is irrelevant. 

reddit is full of trolls, I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

And just because you're still in college for the degree doesn't mean you shouldn't apply for the positions. Employers will look at that as a positive thing and even if they cant offer the full position, many will counter offer an internship; some of those internships are even paid. you just have to look, and actually submit applications.

you won't get anywhere just whining about it here. I apologize if that sounds harsh but that's how it is in the business world, even in IT.

Even non-paid internships will do you good, they look good on your resume and give you needed experience to help you going forward.

The only one holding you back here is yourself; not some expunged record that no one can officially see anyway. Just have some confidence and someone will give you a shot.

As someone who's horrible at interviewing I understand how difficult pinning a job can be but once you get your foot in the door the possibilities are endless. :)

17 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

There is only two ways to go...they could be right or they could be wrong.....There are no definites in that statement -essentially who cares what they think.  

You are the one complaining about not having a job.  You are the one asking if you can do it.  You are the one going on about being negative and worrying about things.  

You want me to go negative, I will.  

You don't have the experience, you don't have the capability, you don't have the drive, and you dont have the attitude to land a job. 

No longer negative (so that you see the difference).

You want something, get it.  You don't need a degree.  If you are in your junior or senior year you can apply for a internship (you don't need to finish your degree in order to get an internship).  The only thing stopping you is you, and the only one you are arguing with is you.  You can't get out of your own head to see that.

I don't know if this helps you, but I am a Director of IT/Network Engineer without a college degree with my own background issues that have also been expunged.  You need to do what you need to to get the experience and knowledge, everything else will come.  Complaining about nothing will get you nowhere.

• Thanks 2

Considering I've had a handful of misdemeanor fines and I currently work for a municipality, I had to have a full background and security check in order to be vetted so I can work with/around Police and the sensitive matters they deal with.

Turns out misdemeanors don't show up on your criminal record.

Also I don't have a degree.

If you have the skills, are well-spoken, clean up nice, and can throw together a half-decent resume (personal projects count here), you'll be able to get a job. Half of getting a job is getting them to like you as an applicant. The other half is knowing your sh*t and being able to demonstrate to your interviewers that you know your sh*t without being pompous or overly egotistical.

7 minutes ago, sc302 said:

There is only two ways to go...they could be right or they could be wrong.....There are no definites in that statement -essentially who cares what they think.  

You are the one complaining about not having a job.  you are the one asking if you can do it.  you are the one going on about being negative and worrying about things.  

You want me to go negative, I will.  

You don't have the experience, you don't have the capability, you don't have the drive, and you dont have the attitude to land a job. 

No longer negative (so that you see the difference).

You want something, get it.  You don't need a degree.  If you are in your junior or senior year you can apply for a internship (you don't need to finish your degree in order to get an internship).  The only thing stopping you is you, and the only one you are arguing with is you.  You can't get out of your own head to see that.

First of all the college I'm currently at doesn't have internship opportunities and as far as reddit users go idk who to believe you or them. The way I see my chances of getting job in software is non existent no matter how many internships, schooling, good personality etc. it can't really happen for me now because to me I still have a record no matter what a background or a piece of paper says.

Since the OP stated it was a misdemeanor and that he completed a Diversion Program, there is no record. None. All it takes is 30 minutes of research and anyone (including the OP) could determine this. I can't find a single state (in the U.S.) that offers a Misdemeanor Diversion Program in which the charge isn't completely dismissed upon completion.  Bottom line is YOU HAVE NO RECORD, period.  Let me say this again, you can research it yourself. Better yet, simply call the court and ask them. The only thing holding the OP back from achieving anything in his/her life is the OP themselves.

Now, being 23 and in a 2 year junior college is probably not going to end at Google. Sorry to say that. The Alphabet target demographic is going to be way beyond Algebra at 23. That said, there are thousands and thousands of other good companies offering some pretty good opportunities to people that work hard. There are also a ton of companies that stink...

So once again, what is it you really want to do? What is a description of your 'perfect' job. What is it you think you want it to be? Why are you not seeking out tech events over the summer? Do you attend any technology based user groups in your area? Who says the internships need to be at your school. Are there no businesses in your area? 

7 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

First of all the college I'm currently at doesn't have internship opportunities

This is an excuse.  Look at http://www.indeed.com and other job search sites for internships 

The way I see my chances of getting job in software is non existent no matter how many internships, schooling, good personality etc

You need to get out of your own head.

it can't really happen for me now because to me I still have a record no matter what a background or a piece of paper says.

If background checks come up blank and a piece of paper says you are innocent, guess what?  Businesses will not see anything....again in your head, get out of it.

And incase you didn't see my edit:

I don't know if this helps you, but I am a Director of IT/Network Engineer without a college degree with my own background issues that have also been expunged.  You need to do what you need to to get the experience and knowledge, everything else will come.  Complaining about nothing will get you nowhere.

2 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

First of all the college I'm currently at doesn't have internship opportunities and as far as reddit users go idk who to believe you or them. The way I see my chances of getting job in software is non existent no matter how many internships, schooling, good personality etc. it can't really happen for me now because to me I still have a record no matter what a background or a piece of paper says.

if your record has been expunged then there's no LEGAL way for them to see it. You have NO record as far as ANY employer (outside of government) is concerned. Please stop worrying about that part for your own health.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, RolloofTheNorm said:

You yourself said record has been expunged, you've even ordered a background check on yourself... a minor expunged state-specific misdemeanour isn't going to have any effect on getting a software dev job. The only thing stopping you from getting those jobs is yourself (attitude / experience), you seem to have some mental hangup on this that might be worth seeking professional help for (I don't mean this as an insult, we all need help from time to time). You've asked the same question many times on multiple forums over the last 2 years, how many people need to reassure you before you accept it's basically a non-issue?

Edited by ZakO

9 minutes ago, Zag L. said:

Since the OP stated it was a misdemeanor and that he completed a Diversion Program, there is no record. None. All it takes is 30 minutes of research and anyone (including the OP) could determine this. I can't find a single state (in the U.S.) that offers a Misdemeanor Diversion Program in which the charge isn't completely dismissed upon completion.  Bottom line is YOU HAVE NO RECORD, period.  Let me say this again, you can research it yourself. Better yet, simply call the court and ask them. The only thing holding the OP back from achieving anything in his/her life is the OP themselves.

Now, being 23 and in a 2 year junior college is probably not going to end at Google. Sorry to say that. The Alphabet target demographic is going to be way beyond Algebra at 23. That said, there are thousands and thousands of other good companies offering some pretty good opportunities to people that work hard. There are also a ton of companies that stink...

So once again, what is it you really want to do? What is a description of your 'perfect' job. What is it you think you want it to be? Why are you not seeking out tech events over the summer? Do you attend any technology based user groups in your area? Who says the internships need to be at your school. Are there no businesses in your area? 

I just remembered recently talked to my advisor and I took trig last semester actually and about to start taking calc, but that still won't land me a job at Google apparently now would it?