• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

macOS update situation?

Microsoft BOB™ 10    793

So as of 2018 and the latest mac OS (High Sierra), what is the update situation? I might get a Mac or MacBook if it's better than Windows.

1. How frequent are updates?

2. Can you hide/stop/block updates or not install them at all? Or eventually you must install them? Does this operating system employ tricks of its own to re-enable updates even after you have disabled or blocked them?

3. Most important: how big are the updates and is the size of updates shown before they are downloaded and installed?

Can anyone post screenshots of macOS entire updating process at work? I searched on Google and found that macOS has some delta updates (which are smaller due to only the differences) vs combo updates which are bigger. But I would still like my other questions answered. :)

Thanks very much in advance.

• Like 1

spy beef    737

1. 2 - 4 times a month. Usually, updates are security patches.

2. Yes. You initially get reminders to install them, but you have the option to put them off for another time or skip the update entirely. 

3. Usually, the updates are small in size unless it's a major OS upgrade update. 

Updates will show up as a notification. If you choose not to install right away, it will show up under the updates tab in the App Store. If it it's small update (no changes to the kernel) you can install it without restarting. Most updates are like this. 

• Like 1

Microsoft BOB™ 10    793

Thank you spy beef.

1. Are there options to completely disable all updating or check but warn before downloading etc like Windows 7/8.1? Screenshots please.

2. Can you avoid the updates for an indefinite period of time? And does the macOS annoy and nag you to install the ignored ones after some time?

3. "Small" and "large" are relative terms depending on your internet speed and how much time you have, space on your SSD etc. Can you tell me please the average update sizes in MB or GB? How big in MB are the weekly/fortnightly updates and how big and how frequent are the so-called "major" updates?

Do you have screenshots of updates in action? Screenshots or links to existing ones of the entire process will explain a lot.

I tried to search on Google images but since I haven't used macOS, I cannot tell quickly from the existing images if they belong to the latest macOS or some ancient release. Also it's hard to find screenshots specific to the newest macOS on Google.

I found some screenshots. I assume these options are still there.

macOS1.jpg

macOS2.jpg

Edited by Microsoft BOB™ 10

Quillz    934

You get a daily prompt to update but you can put it off indefinitely. 

• Haha 1

Microsoft BOB™ 10    793

OK good so it's one better at least. I don't see anywhere the size of updates or any progress bar detailing how much time or MB is left but STILL better than forced updates.

Jub Fequois    470
22 hours ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

So as of 2018 and the latest mac OS (High Sierra), what is the update situation? I might get a Mac or MacBook if it's better than Windows.

1. How frequent are updates?

2. Can you hide/stop/block updates or not install them at all? Or eventually you must install them? Does this operating system employ tricks of its own to re-enable updates even after you have disabled or blocked them?

3. Most important: how big are the updates and is the size of updates shown before they are downloaded and installed?

Can anyone post screenshots of macOS entire updating process at work? I searched on Google and found that macOS has some delta updates (which are smaller due to only the differences) vs combo updates which are bigger. But I would still like my other questions answered. :)

Thanks very much in advance.

1: There are new, major feature updates once per year. There are usually a handful or so smaller maintenance updates that require restarts during that year, and security updates that are (by default) installed in the background.

2: You can certainly control the updates. You can stop it from checking altogether or just the auto-update mechanism. macOS does not employ any tricks to install crap you don't want.

3: The download sizes for updates are always displayed before downloading. You will also see a progress bar of the download, and then receive a friendly notification asking whether you want to restart and install now or postpone it for later.

You can manually download so called "combo" updates that include all previous updates for a certain version of macOS. It's unnecessary if you keep your system updated through the built-in update mechanism through.

Microsoft BOB™ 10    793

Perfect. Thank you very much for clearing this up. I know what my next OS will be when the need to upgrade comes. It's better to get used to it in advance rather than being forced to use it when I run out of options to run Windows 7/8.1.

Jub Fequois    470
6 hours ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

Perfect. Thank you very much for clearing this up. I know what my next OS will be when the need to upgrade comes. It's better to get used to it in advance rather than being forced to use it when I run out of options to run Windows 7/8.1.

No problem at all.

I forgot to mention that you'll never be forced to jump to the next major version, only encouraged. Everything will keep working as usual (based on past experience at least), but new apps may take advantage of features exclusive to a newer, and as such require that you upgrade in order to run them. However it's exceedingly rare that an app will require you to run the latest version.

macOS is as user-friendly as Windows is these days so you'll get used to it in absolutely no time. I use both macOS and Windows machines and have no issue with either user interface. Though truth be told, my Windows machine is almost exclusively for games. :)

• Like 1

linettereed    2

New updates will pop up on regular basis, you will get the option of turning it off each time and there will be no strict command to update it at that very moment.

You can check the updates in the app store obviously and everything about that update would be there, making it easy for you to decide whether to update it or not.

By the way, the new coming update "Mojave" would gonna be something that one really need to look out for, as Apple everything brings something new and atypical with their new updates.

Anibal P    2,055

No matter the OS you should be installing all provided updates, exception for Corp environments, of course, not updating your systems is why the internet is full of viruses (yes Macs can get infected), spyware and all that junk

People that don't update only help to propagate all these negatives all because end users are lazy, or worse, think they are smarter than the OS Developers 

• Like 1

Microsoft BOB™ 10    793
On 6/28/2018 at 7:54 PM, Jub Fequois said:

3: The download sizes for updates are always displayed before downloading. You will also see a progress bar of the download, and then receive a friendly notification asking whether you want to restart and install now or postpone it for later.

Can I see a screenshot of this, please? I searched everywhere on the web but couldn't find one that showed update sizes or progress bar/progress indicator.

Jub Fequois    470
6 hours ago, Microsoft BOB™ 10 said:

Can I see a screenshot of this, please? I searched everywhere on the web but couldn't find one that showed update sizes or progress bar/progress indicator.

I don't have any updates pending so I can't take a screenshot right now of how it looks like in 10.12 (High Sierra, current version) but I did find a picture of how it looks like in the upcoming 10.13 (Mojave) beta, which is very similar.

macos_update.png