• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Samsung TV issue/advice

patseguin    1,294

I have a 65" KS8000 Samsung UHD TV. Comes with a 1 year warranty and this is the ONLY time I've bought a TV without an extended warranty. About 11 months in, it started developing purple streaks vertically down the screen. I contacted Samsung via text and they promptly sent out a repair company. They diagnosed it and decided to replace the panel.

So, 2-3 months later now I noticed terrible light bleed all along the bottom of the screen plus a spot at the top. Additionally, I noticed the spot at the top is actually an opening where the back case is separated from the panel and I can see inside.

I contact Samsung and they tell me it's now out of warranty. I explain that I only need a repair because they didn't do it right when it was under warranty. Long story short, they come out yesterday and determine that it needs another new panel for $1000. I told them that I have to pay $1000 because they gave me a bad panel under warranty plus didn't even put  it back together right? The guy then tells me that there is a 30 day warranty on repairs. He suggested I try to escalate with Samsung to get them to "do something for me".

Not only do I never get anyone on the phone at Samsung with a grasp on the English language, but I am 99.9% certain that they will just robotically spout that it is out of warranty.

What would you guys do? The issue is not so bad that I can't watch the TV. I only really notice it in dark scenes but it does bother me to no end. Should I just suck it up for another year or so and then just buy an LG? Or should I stay on Samsung and try to get them to make it right?

Jason S.    1,495

i would try to find a way to get this escalated. perhaps search online for another phone number or just demand that they escalate the issue. the base level tech support people are just going to read the book and give you canned responses. in the end, it'll be a hassle but you still have a functioning TV right now.

as much as i love Samsung TVs, getting anything done under warranty is a pain. i had a repair done on my JS8500 a couple of years ago. You could hear the reluctance on their end to do any repairs. it took quite a bit of effort just for them to send someone out to fix it.

dipsylalapo    1,760

That really sucks :( I'm surprised that the fix doesn't have a longer warranty, you'd think that it'd be covered for at least 12 months. 

I'd keep pushing and escalate as much as you can. Companies can be more responsive on Twitter, so have you tried moaning about the issue on Twitter? Not sure about the cost of the TV, but is claiming against any sort of home insurance worth looking at? 

Something that's not entirely moral, but if you're able to extend the warranty now (either via Samsung or a third party) you could do that and then claim? 

Nick H.    9,708

That's a real shame to hear, I've not had a problem with my Samsung devices but to think that if I did they would be so reluctant to help... :(

I would continue to push them. It seems wrong that they did a half-arsed job and don't want to make things right. And if they still refuse to do anything about it you can still go and get a different TV, making sure to tell Samsung that it won't be one of theirs. The person on the other end of the phone might not give a hoot, but I always find it makes me feel a bit better to let them know.

patseguin    1,294
4 hours ago, Jason S. said:

i would try to find a way to get this escalated. perhaps search online for another phone number or just demand that they escalate the issue. the base level tech support people are just going to read the book and give you canned responses. in the end, it'll be a hassle but you still have a functioning TV right now.

as much as i love Samsung TVs, getting anything done under warranty is a pain. i had a repair done on my JS8500 a couple of years ago. You could hear the reluctance on their end to do any repairs. it took quite a bit of effort just for them to send someone out to fix it.

Yeah I was the exact opposite on the initial repair. When I first contacted them, I got an obvious call center and there was a language barrier. I used their text service and it went remarkably well. Within 3 days they had someone out and another 3 days a new panel installed.

The 30 days on the new panel indeed is a crock. I paid $1600 for a new TV and now have a REPAIRED TV with a faulty panel. Additionally, I told the tech that was there yesterday that the panel was separated from the case and wasn't reassembled properly but he couldn't care less.

The repair company is local for me in Western new York, but I still got a guy on the phone calling me "Mr. Pat" with a heavy accent. I tried explaining that I was not making a warranty claim but requesting a fix to an improper installation FROM a warranty claim.

I think I'm going to have to toughen up and call and ask for a supervisor. Would it be considered bad for me to request to speak to an American?

dipsylalapo    1,760
40 minutes ago, patseguin said:

I think I'm going to have to toughen up and call and ask for a supervisor. Would it be considered bad for me to request to speak to an American?

Definitely do that, but I don't know if these guys will have an American supervisor but worth taking a shot 

Jason S.    1,495
42 minutes ago, patseguin said:

i think a better way would be to ask to have it escalated. a lot of times that reroutes the call to another center...perhaps stateside.