Battery life, restore iPhone via iTunes, buggy iOS 11 & possible wait for iOS 12

Just a question.... ever since iOS 11.4 I’m experiencing battery issues.

according to this 38 page thread it looks like I’m not the only one.

Apple support states that I should restore my iPhone 7 via iTunes and than reinstall the apps.

i have done before on another phone with no results.

is this really needed for a better battery life? Or is the 11(.4.x) update just worthless?

And can I better hope for and await the upcoming iOS 12 update later this fall?

which iPhone? might want to look into battery replacement as an option depending on age of device.

edit: which iOS version version did they add the battery health monitor? if you have that whats the status show?

11.4.1 seems to fix battery issues. Not sure why this has been an issue for every couple iOS revisions.

Keep in mind if you restore your phone, it will be busy indexing and running background tasks for a few hours, impacting battery life as well. Everytime I restored my iPhone, battery life would be lousy for a day or two.

7 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

which iPhone? might want to look into battery replacement as an option depending on age of device.

edit: which iOS version version did they add the battery health monitor? if you have that whats the status show?

iPhone 7; iOS 11.4.1 installed since yesterday (all previous updates since the day they were released)

battery life is 96%

I had it swapped in February due to issues with my previous iPhone 7 (so technically 6 months old)

Is there actually a real difference between an OTA-update and a restore via iTunes?

28 minutes ago, kiddingguy said:

Is there actually a real difference between an OTA-update and a restore via iTunes?

nothing different as far as i'm aware

17 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

nothing different as far as i'm aware

Well at Apple support they say otherwise, but I think this is bullocks as well... ?

Just now, kiddingguy said:

Well at Apple support they say otherwise, but I think this is bullocks as well... ?

at most i think the only difference is you get to option NOT to restore data if you do the update through iTunes

Just now, Brandon H said:

at most i think the only difference is you get to option NOT to restore data if you do the update through iTunes

Apparently you can choose to have an iCloud backup restored via iTunes as well. At least that’s what the support employee told me.

Apparently with a restore on more layers within the OS is everything removed, renewed and reinstalled. As compared with an update, where previous and older files could remain on the iOS device.