Linux 18.04 LTS Driver issue or something else?

Q-truth

Good afternoon/evening/morning wherever you are. I posted this question on another forum I frequent but here it goes...

Q: Is there a bug in Ubuntu or the Nvidia driver (I'm on the stable proprietary drivers that come with the OS), that causes my screen to go black when I log-off?

I use a program named "Caffeine and Caffeine indicator" to prevent this black screen. Before Caffeine, the screen would go black and I couldn't get my system to wake-up. So I ended up rebooting and that gets old fast.

Any help? Could I simply revert back to the original  nouveau driver instead?

-Thanks

Q-truth

I apologize for this reply. I am using the Nouveau  driver after all. However, the problem does persist on the Proprietary (Stable) drivers that come with the OS.

I'm on the Nouveau drivers x11.org drivers now. But if I were to change to the Nvidia driver, the screen goes blank.

again... I'm on the nouveau driver... It goes blank but any button push or mouse movement wakes it up... that's a relief!

so Nvidia.... what's up?

Unobscured Vision

Generally speaking the proprietary drivers are the ones to go with. Never try to game with the open-source Nvidia ones, you'll find yourself pulled to the nearest brick wall via your cranium with an irresistible urge to smash said cranium against said brick wall repeatedly.

Mindovermaster
4 hours ago, Q-truth said:

I apologize for this reply. I am using the Nouveau  driver after all. However, the problem does persist on the Proprietary (Stable) drivers that come with the OS.

I'm on the Nouveau drivers x11.org drivers now. But if I were to change to the Nvidia driver, the screen goes blank.

again... I'm on the nouveau driver... It goes blank but any button push or mouse movement wakes it up... that's a relief!

so Nvidia.... what's up?

You misunderstand me. What GFX card do you have? 960? 1050? 1060? 1070? 1080?

You see this?

nvidia.png

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By zikalify
      Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS out now opening LTS upgrade path
      by Paul Hill

Canonical has announced the release of Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS for its Desktop, Server, and Cloud products as well as other Ubuntu flavours with long-term support. Additionally, those still running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS will now be offered the upgrade inside the Update Manager. As with other point releases, Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS comes with all the latest security patches from preceding months, saving time post-installation.

When Ubuntu 20.04 LTS was released back in April, those on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS were not offered the update right away because Canonical wanted to let the new release mature a bit. Long-term support editions of Ubuntu are supported for at least five years so they’re preferred in production environments so stability is a very important factor.

The new point release means that new ISO disc images have been spun, if you download and install these you’ll have all the previous security patches pre-installed so you don’t have to spend time post-installation installing updates. On a good internet connection, updates don’t take that long but having the newly spun ISOs available is useful for computers on a slower or offline network.

According to the Ubuntu Wiki, many popular pieces of software have been patched in this update and constitute installation bug fixes, upgrade bug fixes, desktop fixes, server and cloud fixes, and kernel and hardware support updates. If you’ve already installed Ubuntu 20.04, there’s no need to install this point release, just ensure that you have installed all the available updates.

• By zikalify
      Canonical pushes fourth point release for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
      by Paul Hill

Canonical has announced the availability of Ubuntu 18.04.4 LTS. The new update is a point release which rolls all of the latest updates into a single disc image saving you time when you do a clean install as you have fewer updates to install. Also, this update includes hardware enablement stacks which adds support for newer hardware.

The new point release is available for Ubuntu on Desktop, Server, and the Cloud as well as other flavours of Ubuntu with long-term support including Kubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Kylin, and Xubuntu. Detailed release notes for each of these flavours can be found on the Ubuntu Wiki.

Each Ubuntu LTS release ships with five years of maintenance updates, this means that Ubuntu 16.04 LTS will reach end-of-life around April or May 2021. If you’re still using this older release, Canonical will offer you an automatic upgrade to 18.04.4 via the Update Manager, you can find detailed instructions for upgrading here.

If you’re already running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and have all of the latest updates installed then you’re effectively on Ubuntu 18.04.4 and you do not need to do anything. Additionally, if you have Ubuntu 18.04 installation media, there is no need to throw this away as you only need to apply post-installation updates to be running the latest software.

• By zikalify
      Canonical announces Anbox Cloud allowing users to host Android apps in the cloud
      by Paul Hill

Canonical has announced a new service called Anbox Cloud aimed at enterprises. With Anbox Cloud, enterprises can distribute Android apps via the cloud in a container environment. By hosting the apps in the cloud, the businesses that opt to use the service will know that the app is secure and independent of a device’s capabilities. According to Canonical, it envisions this tech being used for cloud gaming, enterprise workplace applications, software testing, and mobile device virtualisation.

If you use Linux already, you may have seen and used Anbox if you’ve ever looked for a solution to run Android apps on the desktop. With Anbox Cloud, several Canonical technologies will be included in the software stack including the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS kernel, LXD containers, MAAS, and Juju. Additionally, Canonical’s Ubuntu Advantage support programme is included to provide continuous support and security updates for up to ten years.

Commenting on the news, Stephan Fabel, Director of Product at Canonical, said:

Canonical has turned to Packet, a leading cloud computing infrastructure provider, to deploy Anbox Cloud on-premise and at target edge locations around the world. The Ubuntu maker has also collaborated with Ampere (ARM) and Intel (x86) as silicon partners to ensure that these hardware options are optimised for customers looking to build services on Anbox Cloud.

To learn more about Anbox Cloud head over to its dedicated webpage, you can also find a whitepaper from Canonical and Intel called ‘Cloud gaming for Android: Building a high performing and scalable platform’ in order to get a better understanding of the software.

• By zikalify
      OpenJDK 11 replaces OpenJDK 10 as the default Java package in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
      by Paul Hill

Image via FossBytes Canonical has announced that OpenJDK 11 has replaced OpenJDK 10 as the default Java package in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. Canonical recently released Ubuntu 19.04 which also uses OpenJDK 11 as default, the move to bump the version in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS means that users who don’t want to upgrade can enjoy the latest features from OpenJDK 11.

OpenJDK is an open source implementation of Java and is used by developers around the world to develop enterprise-grade applications.

Writing in a blog post, Canonical explained the benefits that users will get from the update:

The previous OpenJDK LTS was version 8. This version is still available but now resides in the community-supported universe repository where updates will be provided until April 2021. OpenJDK 8 will be supported on both Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and 18.04 LTS until it reaches its end of life.

The move to make OpenJDK 11 the default option in Ubuntu 18.04 LTS comes just days after Red Hat announced that it would become the steward of OpenJDK 8 and OpenJDK 11, taking over from Oracle. Following up on its announcement that it made in December about commercial support for OpenJDK on Microsoft Windows, Red Hat has said it will launch OpenJDK in a Microsoft installer in the next few weeks along with IcedTea-Web, a free software version of Java Web Start.

• By zikalify
      Canonical releases second point release for Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
      by Paul Hill

Canonical, the company behind the popular Linux distribution Ubuntu, has announced the general availability of Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS. This is the second such point release since Ubuntu 18.04 was launched in April last year.

If you currently run Ubuntu 18.04 and want to use the new software, there’s no need to download the newly spun ISO images, instead just apply any available updates from the update manager. You shouldn’t notice anything different as these point releases are really just about bundling newer security patches so you don’t have to install them manually on a clean installation.

If you’ve tried Ubuntu 18.04 in the past but had issues with hardware, give this release another go. Ubuntu 18.04.2 includes hardware enablement stacks which support newer hardware. Explaining these stacks, Adam Conrad from Canonical, said:

According to Conrad, this update also adds the Raspberry Pi 3 as a supported image target for Ubuntu Server, joining the existing image for the Raspberry Pi 2. If Ubuntu isn’t your go-to spin, a point release has also been pushed for Kubuntu, Ubuntu Budgie, Ubuntu MATE, Lubuntu, Ubuntu Kylin, and Xubuntu. You can download the new Ubuntu ISO or the other derivative ISOs from their usual websites.