Hard Drive Shock Tolerance

Hey all. I just have a simple question. I've always wondered, since hard drives are mechanical, if it really damages them if you like bump your tower with your knee, or something to that affect, while the computer is on. I'm not talking about knocking the computer over, but just like bumping it or something like that. I know it's not good for the drive if you do that while it's writing to the drive, but other than that, what's up? Just wondering. Hope somebody can answer my question. Thanks!!

ECU Tekkie

Yes, it can always cause damage. The harder the bump, the more likely.

The ratingw will say something like 200G or 300G of shock. But that sounds a lot more robust than it is... :(

Then how come laptop hard drives aren't as prone to damage due to being tossed around and bumped? Don't drives have some shock reistant features?

They can be. Especially if in operation. Some modern drives have freefall detection, and auto-park in an attempt to avoid catastrophe. They can also be mounted with a bit of rubber (or other absorbant item). Basically, if you can increase the duration of acceleration/deceleration, then the average force will be decreased.