Wireless (4G/LTE) Internet access

Hello everyone. 

Does anyone have any experience using a wireless ISP ?  I live in a rural area where the best speed on DSL is just above 56K. I’m looking at two different ones, one is called EVDO depot USA and the other is called yellow jacket. 

I’m wandering if anyone has used either one of these two or if there is a better one?  

Thanks!

You mean satellite Internet? I never used one but have heard of them. If you are out in a rural area, I'd say that is your best bet. As for which, I am not sure. Next person, please?

58 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

You mean satellite Internet? I never used one but have heard of them. If you are out in a rural area, I'd say that is your best bet. As for which, I am not sure. Next person, please?

This is not satellite, it is 3g and 4G transmitted by wireless towers.

@OP:

My company provides wireless internet service amongst other services. It is expensive, but if you can get it, it will be far superior to satellite. Keep in mind that it is very susceptible to poor weather, line of sight, elevation and distance. All can be a factor in your performance.

You can see prices here:

https://www.evdodepotusa.com/3g-4g-plans-pricing/

They are expensive for what you get, but WISPs usually are.

https://yellowjacketbroadband.com/plan-pricing.php

Looks like yellowjacket also offers satellite. If you care about latency, stay away from it.

36 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

This is not satellite, it is 3g and 4G transmitted by wireless towers.

Oh, I wasn't sure what he meant, sorry.

40 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Oh, I wasn't sure what he meant, sorry.

No need to apologize :)

I was just clarifying. 

• 3 weeks later...

Yes.  I am wanting to stay away from Satellite.  Latency is so bad that even a game of minecraft on Minecraft Realms is terrible.  That is why I was looking into a alternative.  We do have a Cell tower, AT&T I believe, that is right out our front door about 1/4 mile away and sits in the middle of the cornfields.  I received a e-mail from Yellowjacket making me a offer of a sprint modem/antenna for a decent price... But not sure what kind of speeds and latency I could expect.  I may give them a call in the morning.

Why not get a pay and go simcard / pre-paid sim, put that in a phone and run a speedtest on 4g to see what sort of speeds are possible in your area? That should give you a good idea about what should be possible.

Unless someone here lives really close to you, then your results will vary compared to anyone else. Results will even vary from hour to hour depending who or what is connected to your nearest cell tower.

To give you some idea about what is possible here in the UK, near my house I can get 50mbps download and around 30mbps upload over 4g, with a ping of around 40ms, In comparison at work I can 25mbps download and around 20mbps upload over 4g, with a simlar ping of around 40ms.

That should be more than acceptable for gaming, however it is something you should try test yourself with a phone if possible.

When I was in Uni we used to play Halo 3 on Xbox Live via 3g, which was perfectly playable back then, so gaming should be fine on 4g. It's more data caps you need to worry about.