Is DDR4-3200 really necessary for a computer strictly made for homeschool?

A couple of weeks before the new school year, My mom's computer she was using to homeschool my younger sister decided to crap out, so we have to build a new computer for this purpose.

So I built up a part list and I am overall happy with the parts I chose, except for the memory. DDR4-3200 Memory for a computer that's only going to be used for school seems very overkill to me. My gaming/streaming rig that I recently built has DDR4-3000, and it works flawlessly for 1080p 60FPS streaming.

Here's the part list that I would like to have some help editing to fit more in the lines of what a computer strictly made for school would be.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Dk27GG

For gaming on an AMD system yes anything else no 1866MHz will be perfectly fine. Also is there a problem with the old Keyboard/mouse if not then why waste money buying a new set even though they're cheap 

3200 is for OC. Like said above, 2133 is good enough. 2133 is cheaper too.

AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Pinnacle Ridge) support DDR4 3200+(OC)/ 2933/ 2667/ 2400/ 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Summit Ridge) support DDR4 3200+(OC)/ 2933(OC)/ 2667/ 2400/ 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory*
AMD Ryzen series CPUs (Raven Ridge) support DDR4 3200+(OC)/ 2933(OC)/ 2667/ 2400/ 2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory*

3 hours ago, Athlonite said:

For gaming on an AMD system yes anything else no 1866MHz will be perfectly fine. Also is there a problem with the old Keyboard/mouse if not then why waste money buying a new set even though they're cheap 

Minimum is 2133mhz I believe, not 1866.

• Like 1

PCWorld has performed tests that show that memory speed make big differences to the performance of the integrated graphics.

DDR4-3000 costs $10 more than DDR4-2400 and DDR4-3200 costs $1 more than DDR4-3000, so you are not spending a lot more anyway.

ryzen_apu_memory_matters-100749061-orig.

Edited by Mockingbird

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($98.89 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M-HDV Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($68.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: *Team - T-Force Vulcan 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($85.98 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Inland - Professional 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($24.99 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cougar - MX330 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($34.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Keyboard: AmazonBasics - KU-0833 +MSU0939 Wired Standard Keyboard w/Optical Mouse  ($14.44 @ Amazon) 
Total: $328.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-26 10:25 EDT-0400

5 minutes ago, xendrome said:

Going to need a power supply and OS on the OP and last build or these specs won't matter at all.

EVGA 450BT for $9.99

Toms Hardware's review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-450-bt-value-psu,5605.html

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($9.99 @ B&H) 
Total: $9.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-08-26 10:47 EDT-0400

29 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

PCWorld has performed tests that show that memory speed make big differences to the performance of the integrated graphics.

DDR4-3000 costs $10 more than DDR4-2400 and DDR4-3200 costs $1 more than DDR4-3000, so you are not spending a lot more anyway.

You're not going to be gaming on it...which is what Fire Strike is geared for.  Synthetic benchmarks are just that ... synthetic ... how does that benchmark translate to real world use for their purpose?  Just saying ... get the cheapest "brand" name and it'll be fine.  

7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

You're not going to be gaming on it...which is what Fire Strike is geared for.  Synthetic benchmarks are just that ... synthetic ... how does that benchmark translate to real world use for their purpose?  Just saying ... get the cheapest "brand" name and it'll be fine.  

The difference is $10.

Why not get the faster memory?

Just now, Mockingbird said:

The difference is $10.

Because you can buy 3-4 gallons of gas and go much further than the non-appreciable difference in the memory speeds.  :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mockingbird said:

The difference is $10.

Because the OP can now spend more on a PSU that will last longer than a 10 dollar one (which sounds like a mistake to even consider).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Because the OP can now spend more on a PSU that will last longer than a 10 dollar one (which sounds like a mistake to even consider).

Super Flower made the power supply.

43 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Super Flower made the power supply.

Ok?

Even quality OEMs make garbage now and then. I'd question ANY OEM selling a PSU for 10 bucks.

Edit: I see. Its a mail-in rebate. So not really 10 dollars.

5 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Ok?

You clearly didn't bother to read the review.

Cheap power supplies rarely earn recommendations because they're often ticking time bombs. But the allure of a low price tag tempts the value-oriented among us. Normally, EVGA's 450 BT sells for $45. But from time to time, you'll find it on sale for $25. While that sounds too good to be true for a capable 450W PSU, we're here to tell you that this model does deserve consideration for its satisfactory efficiency, good ripple suppression, tight load regulation, and ability to keep its rails within the ATX specification's tolerances.

[...]

The 450 BT's price tag ranges from $25 to $40, depending on available rebates and discounts. Even at that higher price, this PSU's value proposition is amazing. The Super Flower platform it's based on is old and outdated. However, with some clever tricks, including a low maximum power output on its minor rails, it facilitates decent performance and 80 PLUS Bronze efficiency. 

Usually, PSUs in this price range are ticking time bombs. But that's not the case with EVGA's 450 BT, which is covered by a three-year warranty.

I'd rather spend good money on a more expensive PSU. That I KNOW works well.

And those benchmarks, mean crap in real world scenarios.

9 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

You clearly didn't bother to read the review.

If I had a dollar for every glowing review I read that has turned to sh*t when I bought the product...

3 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

If I had a dollar for every glowing review I read that has turned to sh*t when I bought the product...

If I had a dollar every time I get into an argument with someone who didn't even bother to do any basic research...

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

If I had a dollar every time I get into an argument with someone who didn't even bother to do any basic research...

What you post has NOTHING to do with what the OP is talking about...

2 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

Please.

Who in their right mind recommends DDR4-3200 over a better PSU, when the latter will make the bigger difference in the long run and the former won't be noticed whatsoever?

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

Please.

Who in their right mind recommends DDR4-3200 over a better PSU, when the latter will make the bigger difference in the long run and the former won't be noticed whatsoever?

His computer doesn't even have a video card.

He doesn't need a top notched power supply.

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

His computer doesn't even have a video card.

He doesn't need a top notched power supply.

3-5 years down the road, when that 10 dollar PSU dies....I imagine that DDR4-3200 will be quite useful.