Dell S2309W monitor, XPS Studio 435T - monitor has crosshairs

I was given a like-new Dell XPS Studio 435T and the Dell S2309W monitor that came with it. I'm going to use it as a Linux testbed but the monitor has a crosshair )blue line vrossing a green one) and I can't figure out how to get rid of it. Any ideas?

those sound like stuck pixels. you can always try a factory reset found under the settings panel within the monitor itself, but from what you've described it sounds like a bunch of stuck pixels. if the reset doesnt work, there are free applets or even youtube videos you can try to "unstick" them. Dead pixels are usually white or black, green, red or blue are generally stuck.

apparently some "gaming" monitors can have this as an option, but you use additional software. is this showing up on all computers it is connected to, or just the XPS studio? 

Haven't tried to connect to other machines. I just plugged it in. It's not killing me, but I would like to get it right if I can. 

The monitor video is shut right now (installing Debian 9) and even though the computer has it blacked, the crosshair is there. I didn't think of stuck pixels. Oddly, after a lot of monitors in my life, I've never had anything with stuck pixels before (that I know of, I should add.)

EDIT: Must be stuck pixels. I had it completely unplugged from the PC and had the problem. Interesting... The vertical line is green, the horizontal one is a faint white. (I was wrong about it being blue.)  Now to see if there is one of those unstick pixels programs that runs on Linux...

Edited by SoCalRox

If it is still under warranty, RMA it. If not, I would replace the screen.

I only replaced laptop screens, but lcd screens shouldn't be that different.

37 minutes ago, SoCalRox said:

Haven't tried to connect to other machines. I just plugged it in. It's not killing me, but I would like to get it right if I can. 

The monitor video is shut right now (installing Debian 9) and even though the computer has it blacked, the crosshair is there. I didn't think of stuck pixels. Oddly, after a lot of monitors in my life, I've never had anything with stuck pixels before (that I know of, I should add.)

EDIT: Must be stuck pixels. I had it completely unplugged from the PC and had the problem. Interesting... The vertical line is green, the horizontal one is a faint white. (I was wrong about it being blue.)  Now to see if there is one of those unstick pixels programs that runs on Linux...

if you cant find an app that works on linux, you can use youtube as well. I have seen videos that do the same thing as the app, its basically a bunch of colors moving around to try and unstick them. you can also try massaging them, if the video doesnt work.

33 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

you can also try massaging them, if the video doesnt work.

I personally wouldn't recommend that. You endanger your screen...

8 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I personally wouldn't recommend that. You endanger your screen...

And you have experience doing this? I hope you do realize, this is a common way to fix a stuck pixel and has been used as such, for many many years.

25 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

And you have experience doing this? I hope you do realize, this is a common way to fix a stuck pixel and has been used as such, for many many years.

I have never done this, but I have heard stories of this being a bad idea. I just wouldn't recommend it, not "OMG, your LCD will blow up!"

Take it with a grain of salt. If he wants to do that, fine.

The monitor is not very new, but little used. If I cannot correct it, the screen will still be okay for what I need. It's actually only really noticeable against black from what I have been able to see.

1 hour ago, SoCalRox said:

The monitor is not very new, but little used. If I cannot correct it, the screen will still be okay for what I need. It's actually only really noticeable against black from what I have been able to see.

If it doesn't bother you, don't worry about it. Start worrying when it's black or blue... :laugh:

14 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Yeah but he has lines, not  a stuck pixel, so there is something else going on.

• Like 2

On 8/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, xendrome said:

Yeah but he has lines, not  a stuck pixel, so there is something else going on.

Sounds like a hardware problem between the screen control board (TCON) on the back of the panel itself (not the monitor mainboard), and the ribbon cables connecting the TFT panel itself to the board. They're very fine connections, heat weakens them and causes lines etc. They're heat bonded too AFAIK, and definitely not soldered joints. You can try applying heat, but be VERY careful, everything needs to be temperature perfect, you'll wipe the wafer thin control board out with too much heat, they warp VERY easily. If it doesn't bother you, leave it as is, although it may get worse if it's the TCON interface ribbons.

A panel replacement is a better option. Use the model of the panel itself, on a sticker on the back of the panel for an exact match. Disassembly IS required, so if you're not sure, seek help from a pro, and not YouTube. I know from experience that leads to further problems. YouTube has brought me so much work that was simple made difficult, I'm a lot richer :)