System anomalies on Win2kSP4

Since reinstalling Windows 2000 Pro SP4 about a fortnight ago, I've been having various strange things happen.

1) On shutdown, it says it can't terminate the program "C:\DebugLog.Log" - this file didn't exist and if it's a .log, it's not an executable and therefore not a program that could be running in the first place. What causes this? Is there some unnecessary service I can shut down to stop this? I tried creating the file (an empty text file) but of course this didn't help.

2) Various installers fail to run. The game IG2's setup just does nothing when run, displaying nothing but leaving it's self in the task manager using 1.5MB and doing nothing. The program Powerdesk 5's installer hangs after I accept the license. There have been a couple of others that die similarly. These programs used to work before the reinstall on the same hardware.

3) Windows Explorer occasionally hangs when browsing the hard drive for no apparent reason.

4) When I right click on a file and click on Editplus to load the file into Editplus, my fav text editor, explorer hangs. I've reinstalled Editplus 2, no change. Other programs on the right click menu are fine and opening it in Editplus via the Sendto option works.

I'm hoping there is one solution to all of these but that's probably wishful thinking. I really don't want to have to reinstall Windows again...