Which is the best language to learn for Back-End Development?

Question

Hello
I would like to start a career as a full stack developer and I do not know what language should I use for back-end.
My top goal is to be able to create web platforms by myself for small to medium businesses such as Restaurants, Hotels, Super Markets etc.
where they will need to have a server where the can pull data such as stock item availability, customer recommendations according what they like, store partnerships in short Data Relationships.
but I want the platforms to work on a web-page, mobile phones & tablets (cross platform compatibility) (Javascript Frameworks will help me with that) 

I know what I ask I huge and will require tons of reading, building stuff , failing and whatever else.
I have already some experience in the following coding languages (whether they are not development languages): C, C++, php, HTML, python, javascript

I understand top platforms such as Facebook, WordPress, Drupal etc might have been written in php  but I have heard from many that php has been hit to a wall, Python is evolving fast, C# is aggressively advertised and is evolving too.
also I understand that Android has Java and now adapts to kotlin

Should I study php or python or C#?

My top goal is to become a full fledged stack developer. 
What do you suggest?

3 answers to this question

I'd recommend learning how to do a basic site in each of the following: PHP, Node.js, Ruby on Rails, and demonstrate knowledge or familiarity with HTML/CSS3/JS and frameworks like jQuery/React.js/Vue.js/Bootstrap if you want to work with open source technologies. As backend, knowledge of Linux, Amazon Web Services (AWS), and setting up an apache environment would be ideal for a Full stack developer.

If you want to work with proprietary and go the MS route, then learning C# and a lot of tools used by MS (Visual Studio, Active Directory, etc) is key along with getting certifications if applicable. You'd want working knowledge of Azure and MS-focused platforms and setting up/configuring IIS environments.

Knowing how to interact with 3rd party APIs and making REST/Soap calls is usually necessary as well either route you take.

I still see a lot of jobs for coding in Java but I personally am not fond of it. 

On 9/23/2018 at 3:54 AM, exotoxic said:

It doesn't matter which language, one way or another they all do the same thing. You just need to try them and find the one you like.

I agree with this. My main programming language has been .Net over the many many years, but done almost every language from Delphi/Pascal through to Rails, .Net, Python, Assembler and others. But what your saying is correct, the only thing new to learn in a language is 95% of the time the syntax, (with asm been the major exception).

But learning a new language... for the sake of making money. I'd go for Ruby on Rails or even just Rails. Full stack development is not everything it is made out to be, and there are VERY few proper full stack developers in the world. Primarily because most developers, especially the awesome ones, are very functional, they think in a functional way, but what is functional and what is pleasant to the user are two very different beasts.

I believe that the hardest part of development. regardless of language is the UI or more specifically UX (User Experience). One of the best teams I ever worked for worked under a marketing director and (i ###### you not) they would measure pixels on the screen for consistency. before that I thought "yeah my screens are nice, they look good" but post that..., UX now gets a much larger allocation of time to a project than almost anything else.

But to point, if your going to learn a language choose one with OO support (mainly all of them), but Rails is awesome and job market wise its booming... .Net is very corporate but then your stuck in a world wearing suits and ties and feeling like Neo.