Question: Dell PowerEdge T310 + ESXi 6.5 or 6.7

I didn't but I don't think the Clarksdale CPU series is supported on 6.7 from the compatibility chart that I've seen. I'm happy with 6.5 just need to upgrade it via the CLI to version update 2.

• 4 weeks later...

Heya again guys. I've bought a 4x8gig (32gig) RDIMM 10600R 2Rx4 set of memory for my server. When trying to run 1 stick in slot 1, I get E2012 Memory Unusable error coming on the LCD and no post. When I try to run 2 stick in slot 1 and 2 (marked by white dimmer slot plugs on the motherboard) I get the same error. Enclosed is screen shot of the label of the memory and a RAM table I found when looking at Dells forums. Does anyone have any thoughts why at this stage? Have I picked up the wrong memory or is it capable of throttling down to 800mhz so I can run all 4 chips? If so, how can I force it to do this? Thanks in advance.

IMG_20181016_190318.jpg

Screenshot_20181016-190757.jpg

It doesn't look to be a supported speed.  

Utilizing crucials compatible memory guide, it lists pc3 12800-14900 as supported memory.   That chart you took a screen shot of does say that what you have is compatible, but I don't know where you got that chart from.   I Know that crucial guarantees compatibility with their memory to work in systems utilizing their memory search utility on their site, so I would go with what crucial has on their site in relation to your system.

Also get the same memory brand/model for best compatibility.  

Faster memory? SC302 was suggesting more compatible memory.

I believe SC302 is correct.

Edited by Mindovermaster

I am suggesting the recommenced guaranteed compatible memory for your system from crucial and recommending you utilize the memory tool from crucial to get the exact compatible memory for your system. I am not suggesting you utilize whatever chart that is or the memory you bought.  Alternatively, I recommend utilizing the same brand/model memory that you have which is working. 

I have been utilizing crucial for more years than that server has been in production.  Crucial has never once let me down with incompatible memory from the first time I used them till last week when I purchased server memory. 

• Thanks 2

Correct me if I';m wrong then guys, but is PC3-12600R not a faster rated speed of memory in comparison to PC3-10600R. I appreciate they are both registered DIMM sets of memory and the kit I've already boiught is ECC Registered DIMM, but my understanding of this is that the faster speed is all the difference in compatibility between the RAM I already have and the RAM I would like to buy.

Sorry, I've made the fowl mistake of buying one kit that I can't use already. I don't want to be caught out a second time buying the wrong type of memory again, plus I would also like to try and buy it from eBay, as Crucial is quite expensive for memory replacements.

Once again, thank you for your help. Mindovermaster and SC302. Thank you guys

ebay memory, I would not guarantee anything.  

Skipping that, why cant you buy the duplicate of what you have in there which works?  Why can't you search ebay for the same memory brand/model?

While it may be faster and should slow down, the simple issue is that your motherboard doesn't like it and why I cannot recommend using it.  You can try to logically explain yourself all you want, the bottom line is your motherboard doesn't like it and why I suggest not doing what you did.  PC memory, sure go for it take a chance...server memory no.  I have seen too many failures with random memory that people buy to be cheap, which ends us costing them more in the end because they pay me to tell them they bought junk memory and now it is my job to fix their issue by recommending or purchasing quality memory when if they just bought quality compatible memory to begin with they would have been far better off.

Lets start off with this.....What processor do you have in there and can you take pictures and post them of the memory you have that works within the system. Alternatively if you wish to pm me your service tag I could see what it was shipped with.

• 1 year later...

Hi @aclarke_31, I have been having issues with my T310 and just came about this thread. I have done the exact same steps as you ironically and had the same memory issues. I had Non-ECC unbuffered and wanted to switch to registered RDIMM. I ended up returning the RDIMM and came back to the Non-ECC UDIM for 8GBx4 sticks.

Anyway, I digress. I think when I upgraded from 5.5 to 6.5 I started having issues with the Host randomly powering down and an amber light on the power supply in the back. I tried new power supplies and the issue continues. I was going to try putting 6.7 on to see if that could fix that issue. I don't believe it was powering off like this on 5.5.

Curious to hear your thoughts on this.