• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Bumped a car no damage

Maqqq    0

I was at the traffic light where i accidently let go of my break on my automatic car and as i was changing the music my car went forward i breaked but bumped the car infront slightly, we stopped over at the side checkd the cars there was no damage what so ever i apologised an she said it was fine although she was very angry with me which i fully understand. It was my fault but i did apologise sincerely, however as we were getting off she took a picture of my reg plate. There was no damage to her car and no injury but is there any way she can come at me through her insurance??. 

DConnell    6,164
8 minutes ago, Maqqq said:

I was at the traffic light where i accidently let go of my break on my automatic car and as i was changing the music my car went forward i breaked but bumped the car infront slightly, we stopped over at the side checkd the cars there was no damage what so ever i apologised an she said it was fine although she was very angry with me which i fully understand. It was my fault but i did apologise sincerely, however as we were getting off she took a picture of my reg plate. There was no damage to her car and no injury but is there any way she can come at me through her insurance??. 

If she was as angry as you say I would have gotten some photos of the cars to prove there was no damage in case she did try anything. But you probably don't have anything to worry about.

Maqqq    0

In the moment i was abit shook so i wasnt thinking straight its my brand new car and im a new driver, didnt really know what to do. Im quite lucky i breaked in time! However i did think i should have took pictures an also took her number but i didnt at the time, not much i can do about that now. She was a grown woman and im only 21. Hopefully she wont take the matter further, as i doubt she would damage her own car to get anything out of it but then again im not sure what she can do.

shockz    4,081

If she snapped your pic of a plate she probably intends to get an inspection and if shop recommends repairs, she will probably contact bmv for your contact information to obtain your insurance. 

If you say there wasn’t any damage though, I doubt she’ll take the matter any further, it’s a hassle to obtain info via plate through official channels, so unless there is actually any damage. Just put it behind you.

As to any injuries, that too costs money on her dime until she can be reimbursed. Time off, insurance:legal fees, etc. 

You lucked out, if that was me I’d have called the police for an official report be taken. And contact numbers/ insurance info would certainly of been exchanged. Visible damage or no visible damage. 

I’ve also been bumped at only 5 mph from the rear, it’s not a pleasant experience and actually is a decent jolt and bang when you have your foot on the brake. Their front license plate bolt left it’s shape in my bumper. There’s usually always damage. Her insurance paid out 600 to fix it. I also considered suing for lost value on trade in, however I decided to just turn my lease in and wash my hands of it. Any one who carfaxes that vin now will be alerted it was in an accident, and I don’t know about you, but would never buy a car with a bad car fax. Most dealers low ball you on trade ins when ###### like that happens.

Regardless, if she does press the matter, that’s what car insurance is for.

Edited by shockz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

patseguin    1,185

She will 100% for sure try to claim damage and/or injury. Otherwise, she wouldn't have taken that picture. Your insurance company is there to fight for you, so I'd call and report it it to them just in case.

• Thanks 1

ITOps    38
6 minutes ago, Maqqq said:

In the moment i was abit shook so i wasnt thinking straight its my brand new car and im a new driver, didnt really know what to do. Im quite lucky i breaked in time! However i did think i should have took pictures an also took her number but i didnt at the time, not much i can do about that now. She was a grown woman and im only 21. Hopefully she wont take the matter further, as i doubt she would damage her own car to get anything out of it but then again im not sure what she can do.

In the future be sure to not take your eyes off the wheel and do not follow so close.  If the car is in drive your eyes should be on the road.  Only play with items in the car when it is in park if you have to take your eyes off the road to do so.  She will probably take the car into a mechanic to check it out.  Just because there is no visual damage there could be damage internally.  Normally a full scan will show if there is any damage.  If there is she can submit a claim to her insurance company for repairs in which your insurance or you will cover.

When you get in an accident you want to collect the following information:

Time of day

Weather at the time

Temperature at the time

Road conditions

Your speed, colors of the vehicle

Mile marker

Street and/or intersection

Drivers license (front and back), insurance (front and back), registration and license plate of other drivers involved

Pictures of damage area and angles of the other vehicle front and back

Picture of who is driving and passengers

Picture of the accident area

Time you called it in to how long it took for the police to arrive

GPS coordinates at the time of the accident if possible

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maqqq    0
36 minutes ago, shockz said:

If she snapped your pic of a plate she probably intends to get an inspection and if shop recommends repairs, she will probably contact bmv for your contact information to obtain your insurance. 

If you say there wasn’t any damage though, I doubt she’ll take the matter any further, it’s a hassle to obtain info via plate through official channels, so unless there is actually any damage. Just put it behind you.

As to any injuries, that too costs money on her dime until she can be reimbursed. Time off, insurance:legal fees, etc. 

You lucked out, if that was me I’d have called the police for an official report be taken. And contact numbers/ insurance info would certainly of been exchanged. Visible damage or no visible damage. 

I’ve also been bumped at only 5 mph from the rear, it’s not a pleasant experience and actually is a decent jolt and bang when you have your foot on the brake. Their front license plate bolt left it’s shape in my bumper. There’s usually always damage. Her insurance paid out 600 to fix it. I also considered suing for lost value on trade in, however I decided to just turn my lease in and wash my hands of it. Any one who carfaxes that vin now will be alerted it was in an accident, and I don’t know about you, but would never buy a car with a bad car fax. Most dealers low ball you on trade ins when ###### like that happens.

Regardless, if she does press the matter, that’s what car insurance is for.

Tbh i was quite close to her car in the first place i would have done around 2mph at most if even that, i thought i had breaked in time but she told me i bumped the back of her. For sure there was no damage ive bumped my sisters car at a similar speed an no damage was caused, also considering the womans car was suv and i have the mercedes a class. 

35 minutes ago, ITOps said:

In the future be sure to not take your eyes off the wheel and do not follow so close.  If the car is in drive your eyes should be on the road.  Only play with items in the car when it is in park if you have to take your eyes off the road to do so.  She will probably take the car into a mechanic to check it out.  Just because there is no visual damage there could be damage internally.  Normally a full scan will show if there is any damage.  If there is she can submit a claim to her insurance company for repairs in which your insurance or you will cover.

When you get in an accident you want to collect the following information:

Time of day

Weather at the time

Temperature at the time

Road conditions

Your speed, colors of the vehicle

Mile marker

Street and/or intersection

Drivers license (front and back), insurance (front and back), registration and license plate of other drivers involved

Pictures of damage area and angles of the other vehicle front and back

Picture of who is driving and passengers

Picture of the accident area

Time you called it in to how long it took for the police to arrive

GPS coordinates at the time of the accident if possible

Fully agree for next time! 

theyarecomingforyou    10,062
54 minutes ago, patseguin said:

She will 100% for sure try to claim damage and/or injury. Otherwise, she wouldn't have taken that picture.

Not true. It is sensible to take a picture of the licence plate should there be any complications but it does NOT mean they'll definitely try to pull an insurance scam. It would be strange if they didn't take a picture of the licence plate.

• Like 1

Maqqq    0

Also, if she was to take the matter further an try make a claim. How long will it take till i find out? As im just stressing out everyday thinking whether anything will come through or not. So how long will it take till im contacted and would this be through the post or a phone call? 

ITOps    38
1 minute ago, Maqqq said:

Also, if she was to take the matter further an try make a claim. How long will it take till i find out? As im just stressing out everyday thinking whether anything will come through or not. So how long will it take till im contacted and would this be through the post or a phone call? 

Time frame would be determined on state laws and insurance companies.  Normally personal injury is two years and property damage is three years.