Looking for Future Proof Wireless Router

2 minutes ago, BudMan said:

There is no lite LR ;)  There is a lite model and a LR model... hehehe

Lite is prob fine for your first purchase to be sure.. What you going to do for your "router'?  To be honest you could prob still leverage your wrt54g for the wired routing depending on your internet speeds.. If less then 25mbps your good for it running your wired connection prob... But I don't think those things can really handle more than say 15-25mbps max on the nat/firewall point anyway...

What you looking at for switch and or router?  Netgate/pfsense got some new appliance coming out soon - rumors hearing that could be game changer for price point and netgate..  But if your going to go unifi route - you might want to look at their switches and USG.. not really a fan to be honest - but the price point is good.. And the USG does move packets without a problem...  I have one on shelf let you have for good price before you move.. It for sure handles 500/50 without issue.. But it was only place holder till I could get my pfsense sg-4860 online.  After move to 500/50 internet that the vm pfsense could not handle.

Yup. Back at home, I'm at 20 Mbit/s (Need to check the ISP for updated prices). 

I thought on using the same Huawei Router for the router/switch. Currently, the router is the one who gets fed from the cable that the ISP threw (Which looks smaller than a coax cable) (We do have fiber optics at home).  I have no idea how it looks right now, so I can't 

BTW, on another note. What's the difference between these two?

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-UAP-AC-LR-Single-Version/dp/B01609AF22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537387045&sr=8-3&keywords=Ubiquiti+Unifi+Ap-AC+Long+Range

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Long-Range/dp/B015PRCBBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537387045&sr=8-2&keywords=Ubiquiti+Unifi+Ap-AC+Long+Range

2 minutes ago, Jose_49 said:

I thought on using the same Huawei Router for the router/switch. Currently, the router is the one who gets fed from the cable that the ISP threw (Which looks smaller than a coax cable) (We do have fiber optics at home).  I have no idea how it looks right now, so I can't 

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-UniFi-UAP-AC-LR-Single-Version/dp/B01609AF22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1537387045&sr=8-3&keywords=Ubiquiti+Unifi+Ap-AC+Long+Range

https://www.amazon.com/Ubiquiti-Unifi-Ap-AC-Long-Range/dp/B015PRCBBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1537387045&sr=8-2&keywords=Ubiquiti+Unifi+Ap-AC+Long+Range

I think they are both the same.

Looks like about $10.50 - from the model number they are the same thing.

From unifi direct comes to $103.07 with shipping and tax to Chicagoland..  I'd go with the 98$ link with free, just not prime..

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

Looks like about $10.50 - from the model number they are the same thing.

From unifi direct comes to $103.07 with shipping and tax to Chicagoland..  I'd go with the 98$ link with free, just not prime..

Bummer. Since this was a last minute-choice I'll have to take the Prime approach. I'm leaving on Tuesday, and the other one assures me that it'll be on Monday the latest!!

Thanks for confirming!! 

7 hours ago, Jose_49 said:

One of them is a rip-off. 

On 9/19/2018 at 11:56 PM, adrynalyne said:

One of them is a rip-off. 

Apparently I got the good one. This one is looking good ;)

Just came back to let everyone know that I got the UniFi UAP AC LR (Single), and I just installed it at home. Finally! I now have full signal in the balcony and have a better signal at the dining room.  I'm just still impressed how thick these concrete walls are since the AP doesn't seem to reach the kitchen. 

Problem people seem to forget all the time.. Is even if you could see the signal from the AP... your little phone or tablet xmit power is going to be way lower - so can it reach back, etc.

If you want good wifi coverage in your home, unless its made of paper or you live in a wide open loft or something your going to want more than 1 AP to problem GOOD coverage in all areas.

use only cable for TV,ps4, all media,etc

and wifi for portable small devices.

cable is more secure and reliable.

ps: hire a tech who will pull cable if u dont have it. no headache in future of interference, data caps, fails.....other....

network-cable-50ft-patch-cable-cat5e-network.thumb.jpg.b6bb2031ca1cda249de3e66b64ebc84a.jpg

^ agree, if it doesn't move it should have a wire.  I had even bought the wired addon for my chromecast when they came out.. If you do not carry it around in your pocket or use mobile "tablet/laptop" then yeah it should have a wire..  Wire is always better than any wifi you will ever have.  Even when the new stuff comes out and you can do 7gig in theory with wireless - you could do 10ge or even 40ge on a wire ;) And your latency and jitter is always going to be better on a wire, etc.  Wifi is great when your mobile.. But if it doesn't move it should have a wire - period and of story ;)

• Like 2

Excellent! I agree. Nothing can beat the cable... Although I never had that mindset in the first place. I have some spare Cat5e cables around, I'll see if they're long enough to hook the consoles into the router.  BTW, I have a spare Router (No wireless connectivity), will it hurt if I connect multiple devices over? (I know that the best thing would be having a direct connection to the main device)

I also wanted to give an additional update. I moved the AP to where the Wireless Router is and surprisingly I'm having way better signal in my room than I had before. In fact, now I'm 80% in a far corner in my room, and good 70-80% in the balcony. I just tested Wireless Streaming with the Xbox One in Very High Settings, and it's surprising indeed. 

Streamed FPS are close to 25-30 FPS (Xbox One and laptop wirelessly connected to the AP) ,Tested out a Halo 5 match (Game plays natively @ 60FPS) and while It's not the best (Input lag felt up 150+ms), I'm surprised on how good it has become (compared on what it had originally).  This means that on a bad day I can safely stream an adventure or Tales game that doesn't require <80ms input lag. 

Another update: I made some rearrangements and place a Cat6e cable on the Xbox One, and now it's directly connected to the router... OMG unbelievable!! My laptop is connected to the AP in 5Ghz, and input lag is now less than 100ms!!! (I think it's close to 50ms). Now Halo 5 is perfectly playable! The game plays from 30-60 FPS (I believe if the PC is LANed, it could get butter-smooth 60 FPS). :D:D :D.

Yaaaaassss. This is exactly what I wanted. Now I don't need to move the console while playing in my room. I just need to connect the PS4 to the router (Currently no slots available and no cable long enough to reach it, will get one for sure)

nice @Jose_49

if your PS4 isn't close enough to run a cable to your router you may be able to use powerline adapters instead. 

they're a great way to get near hard-wire speeds if your device & router are far apart in the building

https://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294

5 hours ago, Brandon H said:

nice @Jose_49

if your PS4 isn't close enough to run a cable to your router you may be able to use powerline adapters instead. 

they're a great way to get near hard-wire speeds if your device & router are far apart in the building

https://www.newegg.com/Powerline-Networking/SubCategory/ID-294

Thanks! I love PowerLine adapters! They're just wonderful! I hope I knew about them 13 years ago, since some of the walls in my house were worked on to cross a cable from the main router to my parents' bedroom.

Fortunately, the PS4 is just a couple of feet away, and nothing that a good 15FT cable can't reach.