You call yourself a webdesigner?

Question

Note from .Atlantis: Many, and I mean MANY people in the Web/Graphic Designers Corner should read this. Although they contribute greatly. What they achieve in quantity they soon loose in content and style.

Original Article

So you call yourself a Web Designer!

It?s a sad fact that anyone with a copy of Microsoft Frontpage (or equivalent), a budget hosting plan and domain name can call themselves a Web Designer and start touting for business. What?s wrong with this?

Well, take a look around the web for any length of time, frequent any of the design forums and you?ll soon realise that there are many individuals who only have a basic grasp upon the fundamentals of the software they use, and a tentative grasp upon the main design principals. However, this doesn?t stop them from branding themselves as desigSo what does all this have to do with this article?cle?

Simple, I want to take you through some of the basic building blocks, good and bad habits and to just offer my opinion on the oversaturated Web Design arena. I?m going to outline some basic requirements that, in my opinion, any self respecting potential Web Designer should know; then I?ll look at ways to develop for youTools of the trade e trade

Would you take your car to a mechanic that only knew how to use a screwdriver, hammer and spanner? The answer (I hope) is a resounding NO! So why should anyone trust you to design anything for them when you only have a basic knowledge of your toolkit?

While the advent of WYSIWIG development tools, like Dreamweaver have simplified the task of web site development, they don?t mean that you don?t need to know the underlying code. HTML and its many successors are not too difficult to learn and understand, and knowing the basics of the code your application is creating will make fault finding, problem solving and tweaking a much easier and quicker process. Also, many of these applications have their own limitations that mean you will need to delve into the code on occasion to achieve a desired effect.

Alongside the web design tools, you?re going to need to have a good grasp on at least one graphics application. The forerunners are obviously applications like Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Fireworks, etc. While none of these are particularly cheap, there are cheaper alternatives, like Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 or Paintshop Pro 8 that stand up well to their more expensivDesign, usability and accessibility accessibility

There are 2 kinds of design in my book ? Good design and bad design. While any design is subjective, there are still distinguishing factors that will make a design good or bad for the majority of users. While it is beyond the scope of this, or any article to impart the many rules of design, I?ve listed a few for completenColour:icle.

Colour: Colour is one of the biggest mood influencing factors you can incorporate into your work. If you are working on a site with a lot of textual information you need to make the contrast between text and background as high as possible. Not only that, but the choice of text and background colour is important as well. For example, black and white are good high contrast colours. However, using a black background and white text can be hard on the eyes when viewed on a light emitting device like a computer monitor or PDA. Swap that to black text on a white or pale grey background and you have an altogether more pleasant experience. Look at what you see in everyday life and then ask yourself ?why is it so prevalent?? Because it WORKS!

Calming colours work well on sites that have a lot of text to read, as they relax your mind while allowing you to digest the informatioUsability:ading.

Usability: What exactly do I mean by this? Well, that the site and its content are easy to use. The navigation is where you would expect it, easy to distinguish from the content and stands out as navigation. Use contrasting colours, make it self explanatory. Try to stay away from cryptic text/icons that willAccessibility:s.

Accessibility: 2 clicks! You heard me, 2 clicks. Try to make all your pertinent information a maximum of 2 clicks away. Why? Because visitors will become bored having to wade through layers of navigation to find what they want. Or worse still, they will get bored and/or distracted and leave,Unnecessary content:b>Unnecessary content: You?ve been learning flash for months now and you?ve created (what you think) is a superb intro animation to your site about your favourite topic. So, you create a wonderful all singing, all dancing splash page for your site that takes 45 seconds to load. Does the average visitor care? Probably not, and they?ve had to sit there for 45 seconds waiting for an unnecessary part of the site to download before they can get to your real content. Again, worst case scenario, they?ve left the site before they even viewed youThe future site proper.

The future

The Internet is in a constant state of flux, and so are many of the Web Design technologies. Go back a short space of time in Internet history and the majority of web sites were static by design. Now take a look at how many sites are embracing server technology and dynamic design.

Why is this? Simply because the benefits of using a database to store the content of your site and have it served to a handful of dynamically designed and populated pages makes the ongoing design process an easier task. However, with that ease of amending and updating comes a whole plethora of new technologies to learn and understand. Hiding in the dark and pretending that dynamic design is going to go away is certain death for any web developer.

How do you choose which server model to go with? Well, that is a difficult choice and one that would depend on many factors. On the upside, there are a lot of similarities between the different languages (ASP, ASP.NET, PHP, etc) and you can also feel safer in the knowledge that the database backend will also have a lot of similarities in the SQL (Structured Query Language) that you would need to utilise it. Meaning that learning any of the languages will make learning the next one easier.

So, the life of any good Web Designer should be one that embraces these as well as numerous other factors into their work, their ethic and their outlook.

I hope you found this article of use, and I?d be more than happy to hear your thoughts on the points raised here.

Source: WZ2K Articles

It?s a sad fact that anyone with a copy of Microsoft Frontpage (or equivalent), a budget hosting plan and domain name can call themselves a Web Designer and start touting for business.

that's true

Yeah I've been through all those stages...

Check out my portfolio at www.hamsterscantfly.co.uk

I also started with Frontpage (eg. MDR Partners site) and look at the god damn awful code on that!

I then got into hand coding.... but using all those damn flash banners and stuff (eg. GTS & Snowblind)

Now, with the actual portfolio site, it's all clean and simple, PHP indexed, CSS positioned... ahh... at least I've improved :)

Good article; however I have to take issue with the seemingly random swapping of the terms web designer and web developer. While a single person can be called both, more often than not those titles represent two different people. In addition there is the assignment of abilities to a web designer that are traditionally those of a graphic designer.

Admittedly, the roles of web designer and web developer are converging in many areas; and most web designers should have an average ability as a graphic designer. Don't forget the roles of interface designer and usability expert, neither of which most web designers can claim to encompass; they are important to the design and development of web pages/sites.

A good web designer/developer/etc. knows the limits of his capabilities and seeks the advice and talent of those who are skilled in the areas that he is not.

hehe I call myself a web designer. Yep i started with frontpage .. hmm about 6 or 7 years ago lol.. I was young.. started at about 11.

I have progressed through time to learn multiple programming languages and the usage of flash, javascript, java etc. Its been a long road but as you go you only get better. So don't discourage anyone starting out. It only gets better. I learned html on my own. Its really great once you get it down though. I design and maintain all sorts of sites now. :)

I'll add to the article -

I?ve put together some web design principles that should be followed when designing your site. These principles are generally accepted by web designers and should be of help in making your site easy to navigate and look more attractive.

Research

Find out how other sites of a similar subject work. Find out how established websites have been put together. What content do they have? Are there any similarities between how these types of sites have been put together?

Compatibility

Think carefully about compatibility - if your site uses frames or java then it would be a good idea to offer an alternative site without these features.

Contact Information

Always put your contact information in every page in your site. This is generally found as a mailto: link at the bottom of your site with copyright/disclaimer information or as a link in your site?s menu system.

Site Description

You should always have a clear description of what the site is. If your logo/site name doesn?t clearly indicate what the site is about a small description of the site is advisable under the banner.

Navigation

The top part of the page is loaded first - thus this is where you should put your navigation. You should either use a top horizontal menu system or a vertical one to the left of your site. These are the locations that site navigation normally appears and so these are the locations that people expect to find the menu.

Graphics

Ensure that graphics on the main page promote the site?s purpose. Irrelevant graphics will only slow down and potentially deter people from browsing your site.

Load Times

Your main page should take no more than 20 seconds to load on a 56k modem. Any longer and people normally navigate away from your site.

Links

Links should be easy to differentiate from normal text. Underline links and use different colours from the surrounding text.

Site 'Depth'

Try not to make sites too ?deep.? Try to keep pages about 4 clicks from the main page where possible. The harder it is to obtain information from the main page; generally the harder it is to navigate your site.

Scrolling

On a similar subject, it should take no more than 4 clicks on the scroll bar to reach the bottom of the page. Any longer and users will tend to be deterred by the length of the content. Try to section off pages that are extremely long into smaller chunks.

Colour Scheme

Once you have chosen the colours for your site, stick with them. Even sub-sections that have been colour coded should be sufficiently similar to the main page. If you have any specific ?brand? colours, use them throughout your design.

Contrasting Colours

Be careful when using coloured backgrounds. Try to avoid stronger colours and make sure that text is contrasting enough to be seen in-front of your background.

Off-Site Links

Avoid or minimise the use of off-site links, after-all you?ve managed to attract the user to your site - off-site links will only send them back away from your site again.

Limitations

You shouldn?t be telling the user what the site is best viewed with - don?t tell the user how you have limited how they view the site.

Missing Links/Graphics

Ensure all links and graphics work on your site. Missing links or graphics generally tell people that the webmaster doesn?t care about their work - regardless of whether that is true or not.

Conclusions

You should find that these simple points will make a large difference to your webpage. You should always remember these basic principles when you are adding new content or designing new sites to greatly improve their appearance and user friendliness

Bad use of Flash, layout broken in a standards compliant browser, inconsistent interface, non-complementary color usage, and some other detractions make your site wholly unappealing (to me). With that said, a bit of your work (mainly in the print realm) appears to be of quality.

Oh wait, you were just advertising weren't you...

Very nice. I hope I've done most of this in my nearly-completed website.

This looks to be sticky material.

Compatibility

Think carefully about compatibility - if your site uses frames or java then it would be a good idea to offer an alternative site without these features.

And please, stop designing for Netscape 4.x. While we keep designing for the few users who insist on sticking with it, they will keep on using it. A vicious circle.
Site Description

You should always have a clear description of what the site is. If your logo/site name doesn?t clearly indicate what the site is about a small description of the site is advisable under the banner.

I hear that. If I've said it once, I've said it a million times. If the home page doesn't state your objective clearly, what incentive is the user to have to find out for himself?

Navigation

The top part of the page is loaded first - thus this is where you should put your navigation. You should either use a top horizontal menu system or a vertical one to the left of your site.

I could give a very good argument for why you may want to use the right hand side instead of the left, especially if you are using tables. Think Search Engine spider!
Your main page should take no more than 20 seconds to load on a 56k modem. Any longer and people normally navigate away from your site.

You're generous, I always go for ten or twelve.

Avoid or minimise the use of off-site links, after-all you?ve managed to attract the user to your site - off-site links will only send them back away from your site again.

lol I see that one so many times. Always make me smile. I say be ultimately selfish when it comes to leads out of your site.

Nice addons.

Ok, I'm going to write up an article stating what would make a good website, but I would also like to use some/most peoples suggestions in here also. With credit too. Reply if this is ok :)

^ Please. Maybe I could take note as JMann Designs needs a new look.

JMann

Actually it's quite nice already. Instead of just going for a new look, I would suggest trying to move from a table-based layout with inline images to one using CSS. Admittedly, your use of tables is better than most, as you've actually used tags appropriately and left styling of text to CSS; however the "semantic" value of the page could be improved.

Just a thought.

.Atlantis, that would be a good idea; though what makes a good web site in some people's minds is not always going to be the same. Example being my hatred for the use of Flash for navigation on a site that is otherwise just HTML (or the use of Flash where an animated GIF would have worked just as well). A lot of people would disagree with me on that one.

My thoughts are thus:

If you haven't been paid by people you didn't know before your took on a job, you're not a web designer. Bashing out a site for your moms business is one thing, but doing it for someone you've never met before is another entirely. There are exceptions, but I think that statement would eliminate 90% of the posers.

I have a hard time calling someone a web-designer if they don't have a solid grasp on at least one server-side language (php, asp/asp.net, cold fusion, perl, etc) and the ability to at least read another one or two. I suppose that might be another category entirely, "web programmer" but I think it's important all the same.

Maybe web designer: Can make a 'picture' of a page, and a mock up in html, hire one if you need to design a new page from scratch without dynamic content. Web programmer: not always the best artisticly, but can take a mock-up image or html page and make it work with dynamic data (databases, rss, etc.). A web programmer/designer would obviously be the best of both worlds.

The problem with the high-tech market is that there are no official titles. When someone is a structural engineer you know they have certain skills and knowledge that are different from someone who is an accountant. With high-tech anyone can claim any title: programmer can be someone who just learned "10 print 'hello wold' :20 goto 10" or someone like Linus Tarvolds. There are certifications you can get (MCSE, CNA, A+) that prove you have some knowledge - but there's nothing license required to be a technician, programmer, designer, administrator, etc. When we finally have those I think that the high-tech industry will be a lot more reliable and respected.