space running out of C:\

I'm using windows 7 home.

my C:\ is full.

but D:\  is  free 80 GB.

I want to give more space to C:\ i.e  resize C:\ to 40 GB more and D:\  to 40 GB

what is the easy way ?

Hello,

You might want to try running a program that performs a quadratic space analysis of the disk to see what directories are taking up the most space.  That can be useful in identifying things to remove.  Examples of programs that do that are Antibody Software's TreeSize, WinDirStat (open source) and JAM Software's WizTree.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I would look at ccleaner to see if you can free up some temp files.  You generally never need temp files after they have been used and can take up a lot of room.  

I would also use the software that @goretsky mentioned to identify where your space hogs are.  

And finally if you still cant recover any room, I would look at purchasing a new, larger, harddrive to migrate to.  You could use gparted, but that may just be a bandaid.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mockingbird said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 12TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($399.79 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $399.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-24 12:37 EDT-0400

and if it is a laptop?  3.5 inch won't fit in a laptop that is capable of having windows 7 home installed on it.

OP - 1st figure out why it's full. too much installed? can anything be moved to the D drive? too many temp files? 2nd, you can look into software like Partition Magic that can resize drives like you want

Like others said, check temp file locations.  I have seen temp files take up 100+gig of space.  c:\windows\temp or c:\users\(username)\appdata\local\temp internet files.  Also check the Downloads folder.

29 minutes ago, Mockingbird said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Storage: Seagate - IronWolf 12TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($399.79 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $399.79
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-24 12:37 EDT-0400

Yeah, we need more information before you can make a suggestion like that...

It would be nice to know the total capacity of the hard drive. Sounds to me like they have an Acer. I've seen a lot of Acer machines partition the C drive in 1/2 and create a large empty D drive called Data that the average user was never smart enough to use. 

So I'm going to guess the total size of the hard drive is around 160GB.

As others have said I would recommend running some sort of temp files remover, be it wise disk, ccleaner or privacy eraser (No it won't erase your privacy).

If you need some wiggle room to even install these applications you can disable hibernation via the command prompt which removes the hibernation file and gives you back some space in around the amount of ram you have. (If you have 4GB of ram you'll get back 3-4 GB of space)

Click Start / type CMD and then right click on CMD (or might show up as command prompt on top) and right click it and left click on "Run as administrator"

At the black box type powercfg -h off (then press enter)

That will give you some wiggle room if you are 0% free space left.