Mini Project for the Kids

First of all, it's been forever since I've logged on to this account and posted. So would like to say thank you to Neowin for saving my account for the last 18 years 😁

The current idea is to use a wireless hdmi transmitter/receiver with VM+GPGPU to provide my kids with a extra computer. but one of the things that came up, was the fact they'll need a usb hub for device connectivity. so wanted to keep with the wireless theme because it would help with portability around the house. so currently I have found no suitable solution for a wireless usb hub to passthrough to the system, in fact they don't even make wireless usb extender, I found one, just one that was recent enough but for $299 after being founded by kickstarter. so no, the whole point of having this setup is to have a cheap solution and low maintenance environment for a full experiencing including gaming for the kids.

Now I could go with them walking back and fourth to a usb hub device at the media console, but want to avoid them being anywhere near the equipment. so ordered a rj-45 to usb kit (only supports usb 2.0, where's the usb 3.0 at? copper 10gbe ,yes please) to pass it through powerline ethernet adapters to a usb hub. now all the pieces aren't here yet, but has anyone successfully got a usb wireless extender solution working good for a wired keyboard, mouse, usb storage and other peripherals?

Also, at least had to test the solution before rolling it out.

Test Configuration:[Receiving Hardware]
BenQ GW2780 27 Inch IPS 1080p HDMI Monitor w/ Speakers
OREI Wireless HDMI Transmitter Receiver Extender 1080P Kit with IR Remote
IBRA Orange HDMI Cable 3ft - UHD HDMI 2.0 (4K@60Hz) Ready -18Gbps-28AWG
Logitech MK345 Wireless Combo – Full-sized Keyboard with Palm Rest and Comfortable Right-Handed Mouse

Configuration:[Test Source System]
CPU: AMD ThreadRipper 1950X
RAM: G.Skill 128GB DDR4 @2933Mhz
GPU: MSI Radeon RX Vega 64 - Driver 18.9.3
NVMe: 2 x Samsung 960 PRO 1 TB
Software: VMWare Workstation 15 Pro - Windows 10 NVMe Guest OS

Configuration:[Source System] "Not able to test yet, QNAP in RMA process"
QNAP TVS-1282 4.3.5
GPGPU: GeForce GTX 1050TI

WEme USB 2.0 Extender to RJ45

Sabrent 4 Port USB 3.0 Hub
Virtualization: macOS High Sierra / Windows 10

So since my QNAP is not here, I decided to test with my workstation machine just to see how well the OREI RX/TX worked for 1080p source/destination. As you can see from the screenshot(s) attached, there's no more then 7ft between the source/destination, originally I tried putting it in a different area, but due to line of sight issues with my computer, the logitech keyboard/mouse input was very laggy. there was/is no latency from the video source and it successfully passes audio through the VM to the monitor with no latency.

But wait, even better, the VM is running on the BenQ monitor as an extended screen from my workstation, so this is twice as intensive for image processing on the OREI. other then the lackluster Logitech MK345 distance/input, even had to use an ASUS USB extender I found for the USB receiver to get a good input signal.

Will update once I get my QNAP back, and test a full blown DirectX game setup with the GeForce 1050 TI in passthrough.

Still waiting to test direct VM+GPGPU and the USB Hub configuration, but would really prefer to get some type of usb wireless solution. been looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Hawking-Technology-Wireless-N-Multifunction-HMPS2U/dp/B00AKXOVG6/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1538612264&sr=8-13&keywords=usb+over+ip , but the reviews are bad, and trying to use it for a wired keyboard/mouse seem hazard.

Please gimme your thoughts.

P_20181002_190640.jpg

Seems like a waste of time to me to be honest - if you want t thin client, then just buy one you can get something new for like 100$..

Think you missed the whole point, a thin client doesn't fit in to this picture. only thing I'm looking for is a USB wireless hub, which USB2AIR is way too expensive and doesn't seem to work based on reviews, and the other USB over IP hubs require software to connect to the devices, defeat the purpose of having a wired keyboard and mouse connected to it. either way the setup is working great, and I'm sure my QNAP with GPU will get the desire effects. Worse case scenario, already brought a 10ft USB extender cable to connect a USB hub to put atop the media console to have them connect their USB storage, and would just go with a better wireless keyboard/mouse combo if this one keeps acting up.

Your point is to leverage the cpu and graphics of another machine right? But allow the local device to interact with it via keyboard and mouse - this is by definition a thin client.  Could of been one neat little box, not need for any sort of usb wireless hub, etc.