Install Windows on a Mac

Do you prefer bootcamp or parallel?

I have a 128gb ssd mbp and want to install windows OS for testing purpose (I want to install visual basic and mssql)

Any recommended disk space I need to create?

Boot Camp if you want to use the power of your hardware; Parallels if you don't mind using virtual hardware.

I would give Windows 60GB at a minimum. That is probably enough for what you are trying to do.

• Like 1

Performance in Parallels is excellent, and I'd rather use it than the "less than ideal" set of drivers Apple provides for bootcamp. Plus you can do what you need in Windows whilst doing everything else you'd normally do in macOS at the same. It's the best of both worlds.

Also, you can always move your Parallels disk to an external USB/Thunderbolt 3 drive in the future if you run out of space.

Boot Camp runs Windows better than any PC I have ever used. Also, it is built into your Mac and FREE.

When using Parallels, you are basically running 2 operating systems on your Mac at the same time, so it can affect the performance of your Mac, unless you have plenty of RAM and split it between macOS and Parallels. From what you described above about what you want to run on it, you might possibly get away with dedicating 2GB RAM to the Parallels virtual machine, but how good is Windows + your 2 listed programs REALLY going to run with only 2GB of RAM?

Parallels costs $80 initially, and unless their pricing model has changed, you have to upgrade it (usually $50) every time there is a major upgrade to macOS.

BootCamp always seems to have issues.  It is one of the few Apple experiences that doesn't always "Just Work".  To me, Parallels is well worth the money.  Runs Windows 10 flawlessly.

57 minutes ago, RottGutt said:

Boot Camp runs Windows better than any PC I have ever used. Also, it is built into your Mac and FREE.

When using Parallels, you are basically running 2 operating systems on your Mac at the same time, so it can affect the performance of your Mac, unless you have plenty of RAM and split it between macOS and Parallels. From what you described above about what you want to run on it, you might possibly get away with dedicating 2GB RAM to the Parallels virtual machine, but how good is Windows + your 2 listed programs REALLY going to run with only 2GB of RAM?

Parallels costs $80 initially, and unless their pricing model has changed, you have to upgrade it (usually $50) every time there is a major upgrade to macOS.

I've been running macOS + Windows on a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina since the day it came out (usually 4GB RAM for each OS, sometimes I change it under certain tasks), running Visual Studio, Delphi, (in Windows) and Chrome or Firefox, Photoshop, XCode, InDesign, Final Cut Pro (in macOS) and a bunch of other stuff with almost no resource issues. You're way overstating how taxing it is to run two OSes and some software.

And yes, Parallels isn't free. But if you can't afford to upgrade Parallels once every three years (that's about all that's required because it doesn't magically stop working every 365 days) then what are you doing with a Mac in the first place? 

Come on guys. The OP asked for opinions and suggestions and I gave mine. Let’s not turn this thread into an argument like every other thread on Neowin.

Can you guys help?

I decided to install VM rather than bootcamp.

But I'm having an issue

I tried installing Parallel, VirtualBox, and VMFusion, but all of them fail

It looks like a permission issue?

Everytime I install the app, Mac gives me a warning that it's unidentified developer, so I go to security>privacy and allow it

But it still fails (uploaded images)

A) Anyone experienced this? Can you give me a hand?

B) How do you view all the application you allowed from "Unidentified Developer" (Security>Privacy) Allow

I want to disable some of the apps that I allowed and try allowing them again

In terminal, I thought spctl list or spctl --list | grep UNLABELED is the solution, but doesn't seem like it

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.15.33 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.16.35 pm.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-14 at 3.17.42 pm.png

• patseguin locked this topic