Second Router Not Visible to First

Modem running as first router on 192.168.0.1 with DHCP on (mask 255.255.255.0 address range 10-254).  Second router wired to first on 192.168.0.2 with DHCP off, in router mode. Internet works for clients attached to either router.

However, I want to be able to connect to either router from any client. File sharing across clients on different router seems to also drop. When I make a change to the configuration (IP address, DNS server, gateway, etc.) the second router is visible from clients on the first (it shows up in "arp -a"). After some time, the router IP, 192.168.0.2 just drops off the list (can't ping it, can't login to admin). I am still able to login to the router if I'm connected to it directly, but it is really annoying that I can't see it within the 192.168.0.x network and not having file sharing is a no starter. Also, when I'm on the second router, I can see the first router and a PC I'm trying to file share with. However, the files are inaccessible but the Internet is fine.

If it is supposed to do this, I don't get it. If it is not supposed to do it, I have no idea what is causing it. 

2 hours ago, xendrome said:

But why have two devices running as 192.168.1.x when you are sharing files between them? Just set the modem into bridge mode and use the single router as DHCP and 192.168.1.X

Yeah, you want DHCP on your router, not your modem.

Put modem into bridge mode, like Xendrome said...

6 hours ago, hendy said:

Second router wired to first on 192.168.0.2 with DHCP off, in router mode

Huh??

What are you trying to do exactly?  What is the make and model of both of these devices.  Are you wanting to use your 2nd router as just a wireless AP with some devices connected to is lan ports as well?

sounds like the op is utilizing the internet port on the second router....it technically shouldn't work but well anything is possible.  

Basically in your setup, OP, unplug all ethernet cables to the second router, find some tape, rip off a piece of tape that is about the size of a ehternet port on the router, cover the port that is for the WAN/internet with the tape, plug in the cables you unplugged to the remaining ports.  

6 hours ago, hendy said:

Modem running as first router on 192.168.0.1 with DHCP on (mask 255.255.255.0 address range 10-254).  Second router wired to first on 192.168.0.2 with DHCP off, in router mode. Internet works for clients attached to either router.

However, I want to be able to connect to either router from any client. File sharing across clients on different router seems to also drop. When I make a change to the configuration (IP address, DNS server, gateway, etc.) the second router is visible from clients on the first (it shows up in "arp -a"). After some time, the router IP, 192.168.0.2 just drops off the list (can't ping it, can't login to admin). I am still able to login to the router if I'm connected to it directly, but it is really annoying that I can't see it within the 192.168.0.x network and not having file sharing is a no starter. Also, when I'm on the second router, I can see the first router and a PC I'm trying to file share with. However, the files are inaccessible but the Internet is fine.

If it is supposed to do this, I don't get it. If it is not supposed to do it, I have no idea what is causing it. 

You should provide a diagram because your description suggests the goofiest config I've ever seen although like a circus clown doing tricks it might be fun to adjust the routing tables to amaze and confound themselves by routing around each other in a manner that creates the world's first perpetual motion machine...

What you should have:

MODEM ----> ROUTER ---> SWITCH ----> Lots of LAN cables going everywhere with some of them going to wireless access points that have NO routing functions.

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

sounds like the op is utilizing the internet port on the second router....it technically shouldn't work but well anything is possible.  

That would explain them dropping out of the known universe as they fight each other for a dynamic IP assignment from the ISP!

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

That would explain them dropping out of the known universe as they fight each other for a dynamic IP assignment from the ISP!

also the dhcp scope should not include the second router address of 192.168.0.2...the scope should start higher than .2  

2 minutes ago, sc302 said:

also the dhcp scope should not include the second router address of 192.168.0.2...the scope should start higher than .2  

It s so hard to tell from the description but maybe all he has to do is hit a single check box on the second device "Make this device an access point"

3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Yeah, you want DHCP on your router, not your modem.

Put modem into bridge mode, like Xendrome said...

Oh I just wish I could release a plastic eating nano-bot into the environment that intelligently detects the foul odor of just these annoying little all-in-one plastic boxes that seem to multiply everywhere like plastic-rabbit-cockroach-upside-down-spiders that sit there like grinning Cheshire cats doing nothing but weird things and planning more weird things as they pollute the electromagnetic spectrum everywhere...

But who am I to talk... I have my 5 ghz pets planning their own collusion in every room...