PC locks up by itself

Could be so many things, we need more information. This could be hardware or software related, however in my experience this is generally a hardware issue.

What are you doing when it locks? Gaming? Anything intensive? Or is it randomly locking? Does the computer seem abnormally hot? Anything new you have done software wise or even hardware upgrades since the time it was working properly and now with the lockups?

I had a similar problem with my wife's PC. I cleaned in case it was heat, I removed unnecessary apps, and I even tried a clean install. Then I bought a new SSD that was on sale, problem solved. 

An SSD dying was my last guess, but I'm glad I gave it a shot before replacing it!

27 minutes ago, zeke009 said:

I had a similar problem with my wife's PC. I cleaned in case it was heat, I removed unnecessary apps, and I even tried a clean install. Then I bought a new SSD that was on sale, problem solved. 

An SSD dying was my last guess, but I'm glad I gave it a shot before replacing it!

Just replaced SSD few days ago with a new one.

6 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

But it was happening on a HDD as well.

is this the same computer that had the vbs autorunning?

7 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

But it was happening on a HDD as well.

What does that mean ... you are dual booting and the system freezes on the secondary HDD????  Or was it freezing on a HDD main install which you've mirrored onto a new SSD???  

Anything in event viewer (Critical) or a BSOD?  Could this be related to the various "tweaks" you've inquired about over the past several weeks (to include the possible virus/malware from last week)?

Might be time to "Reset this PC" .  :) 

11 minutes ago, Jim K said:

What does that mean ... you are dual booting and the system freezes on the secondary HDD????  Or was it freezing on a HDD main install which you've mirrored onto a new SSD???  

Anything in event viewer (Critical) or a BSOD?  Could this be related to the various "tweaks" you've inquired about over the past several weeks (to include the possible virus/malware from last week)?

Might be time to "Reset this PC" .  :) 

it means when i was using HDD it happened and then with new ssd it did as well.

12 minutes ago, warwagon said:

is this the same computer that had the vbs autorunning?

not with new install.

OK ... problem occurred on prior install (with HDD).  Problem persist on a fresh install with a SSD.  (that would have been helpful in the original post)

Probably hardware/driver/temp related ... like kryten suggested ... run memtest.  Ensure all the drivers are updated/correct.  Any BSOD and/or Critical events in Event Viewer?

I would keep task manager open and see if anything spikes in the processes tab or see if anything is getting bottlenecked in the performance tab. changing hardware wont fix anything if its a rogue app. :)

2 hours ago, warwagon said:

I would also open the case and inspect all the caps to make sure none are swollen or leaking.

It is prob his laptop

1 hour ago, Bruinator said:

It seems this is happening while viewing youtube videos. Any ideas to fix it?

Post complete system specs

Don't expect people to remember which computer you are talking about

Screen Size15.6 inches

Max Screen Resolution1366*768 pixels

Processor2.5 GHz A10-7400P

RAM8 GB DDR3L SDRAM

Hard Drive1 TB mechanical_hard_drive

Graphics CoprocessorAMD Radeon R6

Chipset Brandamd

Card DescriptionDedicated

Wireless Type802.11bgn

Number of USB 3.0 Ports2

Either hardware issue or software driver.

1. Get latest drivers from AMD website.

2. go to websites for wireless driver, and other components.

3. test it and let us know result

Anything in any system or applicaoni eventviewer logs that shows the last few processes running before lockup?  Any way to narrow down those processes (should be time stamped).

Any bluescreens or dumps that occur?   anyway you can get to the minidump folder in c:\windows to determine?

Any physical issues like blown capacitors on the system board or graphics card?  Can you try with a different power supply as well?  

12 minutes ago, sc302 said:

Anything in any system or applicaoni eventviewer logs that shows the last few processes running before lockup?  Any way to narrow down those processes (should be time stamped).

Any bluescreens or dumps that occur?   anyway you can get to the minidump folder in c:\windows to determine?

Any physical issues like blown capacitors on the system board or graphics card?  Can you try with a different power supply as well?  

It's a laptop. ASUS-X550ZA

37 minutes ago, DevTech said:

It's a laptop. ASUS-X550ZA

could be still be hosed, but capacitors aren't going to be physical tells on that.  will need to check eventlogs and minidumps to see what is in use at the time of failure.  

Following this may help lead to resolution if you can get one of these to log the system properly.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3118553/how-to-troubleshoot-windows-based-computer-freeze-issues