Computer restarts when playing games

2 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

I highly doubt it's a voltage issue.  That would be a massive design defect that hardly anybody would have the knowledge to fix.

That is so impossibly dumbfounding that I am well almost at a loss for words...

I suppose a BIOS setting named "Load Line Calibration" which is there WITH SUPPORTING ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS is not enough of a hint about an extremely common VOLTAGE PROBLEM encountered by CPUs on ALL motherboards.

Or perhaps you could provide design expertise to most of the world's motherboard designers and let them know about their "massive design defect"

12 minutes ago, DevTech said:

That is simply NOT how one employs a diagnostic process or else Sherlock Holmes would still be wandering around in the moors surrounded by howling hounds of the Baskervilles...

It's elementary, Watson...

18 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Or he could surround his computer with garlic bulbs to ward away Vampires...

That is simply NOT how one employs a diagnostic process or else Sherlock Holmes would still be wandering around in the moors surrounded by howling hounds of the Baskervilles...

In any case, people keep failing to actually READ this thread where the OP stated early on that he performed a RAM test.

OK, look there is no need to be rude, that is completely out of order. I just quickly looked over OPs posts in this thread and I didn't see any mention of a RAM test (although it was a quick scan so I may have missed it). I mentioned the RAM test because as I said I was experiencing similar issues and it was faulty RAM. OP is free to ignore my advice and I will not be hurt. Furthermore, running a test while OP would otherwise not be using the computer is a perfectly valid diagnostic test, it's literally what the tool is there for.

Either way, I'll not be contributing any more to this thread.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

How do you know his voltage settings are the issue here? That's just one assumption.

OP, if I were you, I would do a factory reset on your BIOS/UEFI and start from the ground up...

Use the Force Mork! (or Mindy)

Think of yourself as an elite strike force hitting the drop zone with precision.

You could have a Shotgun, but a Long Barrel Sniper Rifle with Precision Guided Micro-Missiles is just so much cooler/hip/groovy/boss/dope/lit/woke/rad/bae/fleek/snatched/gnarly/slay/yeet/goat/dank/trill/gucci/optimal

Anyways the number 1 smoking gun of voltage issues is a computer restart (after auto-restart on BSOD has been turned off) with no warning, no event log entry, no BSOD, just reboot out of nowhere which is what the OP has.

Sure, you could shotgun a million other diagnostics young grasshopper, but your elite training regimen here at Neowin encourages Laser Thinking...

1 minute ago, DevTech said:

Anyways the number 1 smoking gun of voltage issues is a computer restart (after auto-restart on BSOD has been turned off) with no warning, no event log entry, no BSOD, just reboot out of nowhere which is what the OP has.

He says it reboots while playing games, not "just all the sudden"

10 minutes ago, Slugsie said:

OK, look there is no need to be rude, that is completely out of order. I just quickly looked over OPs posts in this thread and I didn't see any mention of a RAM test (although it was a quick scan so I may have missed it). I mentioned the RAM test because as I said I was experiencing similar issues and it was faulty RAM. OP is free to ignore my advice and I will not be hurt. Furthermore, running a test while OP would otherwise not be using the computer is a perfectly valid diagnostic test, it's literally what the tool is there for.

Either way, I'll not be contributing any more to this thread.

The OP's second response post in this thread!

The OP for reasons that are unclear only "sounds" a bit like a newbie but in fact he rapidly employed all the logical things to try and then was faced in this thread with a constant barrage of the SAME OLD TAPE RECORDED ADVICE when he needed a DRILL DOWN.

6 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

He says it reboots while playing games, not "just all the sudden"

YES

Now you follow that diagnostic tree and hypothesize:

A) voltage issues (due to no error messages)  combined with

B) full on 3D GPU usage combined with 

C) it all worked fine for the first 2 months

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

That is so impossibly dumbfounding that I am well almost at a loss for words...

I suppose a BIOS setting named "Load Line Calibration" which is there WITH SUPPORTING ELECTRICAL CIRCUITS is not enough of a hint about an extremely common VOLTAGE PROBLEM encountered by CPUs on ALL motherboards.

Or perhaps you could provide design expertise to most of the world's motherboard designers and let them know about their "massive design defect"

What's impossibly dumbfounding is you thinking that even a common PC user even knows what BIOS is and how to get to it.  Why in the world would a CPU be so poorly designed that it would require the voltage to be ever so subtly adjusted to enable stable operation?  Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

The even sadder part is that you clearly don't understand what Load Line Calibration and voltage droop is.  Maybe you should try Googling it sometime and maybe you'll understand why it's only talked about in overclocking forums...

Please show us some proof of this extremely common problem...

I can guarantee you that even if the OP figures out how to bump up the CPU voltage, it's not going to fix the issue... 

4 minutes ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

What's impossibly dumbfounding is you thinking that even a common PC user even knows what BIOS is and how to get to it.  Why in the world would a CPU be so poorly designed that it would require the voltage to be ever so subtly adjusted to enable stable operation?  Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

The even sadder part is that you clearly don't understand what Load Line Calibration and voltage droop is.  Maybe you should try Googling it sometime and maybe you'll understand why it's only talked about in overclocking forums...

Please show us some proof of this extremely common problem...

I can guarantee you that even if the OP figures out how to bump up the CPU voltage, it's not going to fix the issue... 

His symptoms exactly match what happens when CPU voltage drops below a threshold.

His motherboard comes from the factory to auto adjust CPU frequency AND VOLTAGE to dynamically overclock his system.

Any error in that algorithm which is based on VOLTAGE OFFSETS and can erroneously SUM IN CONCERT will degrade his CPU.

You should try to understand this very common modern phenomenon of BIOS code trying to be too clever.

@DevTech I changed the load line options, but i couldn't set a custom voltage on the cpu, the only options was the one i got in the picture i sent before, after doing that i got a restart when playing again 

9 hours ago, Astra.Xtreme said:

This is my thought as well.  I've seen bad RAM be a pain many times, and it typically shows a kernal power log in the Event Viewer.

Try running the PC on a single RAM stick and see if one of them is the culprit.

It indeed shows a kernel power log in the event viewer, i used the memtest tool to test the ram and I didn't get errors

13 minutes ago, matiasl9815 said:

@DevTech I changed the load line options, but i couldn't set a custom voltage on the cpu, the only options was the one i got in the picture i sent before, after doing that i got a restart when playing again 

You must turn AUTO in the BIOS to OFF or you won't be able to access many settings

45 minutes ago, matiasl9815 said:

It indeed shows a kernel power log in the event viewer, i used the memtest tool to test the ram and I didn't get errors

How many passes did you make? If you say just one, it could skip a lot. Best practice is 3 passes or an overnight scan.

If you do see any errors, that is when you stop it.

4 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

How many passes did you make? If you say just one, it could skip a lot. Best practice is 3 passes or an overnight scan.

Just one

42 minutes ago, DevTech said:

You must turn AUTO in the BIOS to OFF or you won't be able to access many settings

It just gave me an option regarding ram overclock

14 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

These are the results of the memtest

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-21 at 12.16.49 PM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2018-12-21 at 12.16.50 PM.jpeg