Fake Microsoft scam, how do I get rid of it?

Question

Yesterday a friend called me and said he got the fake Microsoft scam where it takes over the browser and verbally tells you your PC is infected. So I went over and did the following...

Cleared all of the browsers (cache, cookies and history and logged in sites) and updated them. Made sure there were no bad add on's and extensions. Ran Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and AdwCleaner. Did a scan with Webroot (the antivirus he uses). Made sure there was no programs that were suspicious.. This morning he called me and he said the message came back again. 

What else can I do to get rid of it?

7 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, cosrocket said:

Yesterday a friend called me and said he got the fake Microsoft scam where it takes over the browser and verbally tells you your PC is infected. So I went over and did the following...

Cleared all of the browsers (cache, cookies and history and logged in sites) and updated them. Made sure there were no bad add on's and extensions. Ran Malwarebytes, HitmanPro and AdwCleaner. Did a scan with Webroot (the antivirus he uses). Made sure there was no programs that were suspicious.. This morning he called me and he said the message came back again. 

What else can I do to get rid of it?

Quit visiting the sight that gives him this popup?  I mean ... it sounds like you ran everything you could.  Did you witness the popup while you were working on it/browsing the web on his computer?  If not ... it is probably some website he is visiting.

3 hours ago, Jim K said:

Quit visiting the sight that gives him this popup?  I mean ... it sounds like you ran everything you could.  Did you witness the popup while you were working on it/browsing the web on his computer?  If not ... it is probably some website he is visiting.

I did not see the popup. I asked what sites they were going to and they were major retail sites, nothing out of the ordinary.So I don't get it.

It could be that whatever website he is visiting has ads which are serving him this popup. It's maybe the case that the ad provider had some malicious ads slip in. If that's the case try using chrome or firefox with ublock origins and see if the issue goes away. Last year our local radio station had that issue and they were serving up that crap for days one time. But go in with an adblocker and they would never popup.

Hello,

Does this occur with all web browsers or just one in particular?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky