Protect files and folders s/w

Question

10 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Bruinator said:

Hi Guys,

Can someone recommend a "protect files and folders" software that is free, easy to use and works well?

thx

Why do you need something like this? What is your overall goal, that will make it easier to suggest software, however Windows has Bitlocker, that should be more then enough.

25 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Why do you need something like this? What is your overall goal, that will make it easier to suggest software, however Windows has Bitlocker, that should be more then enough.

will look into it.

On 12/27/2018 at 10:45 PM, exotoxic said:

Windows 10?? "Controlled folder access".

He might want to test it before going all out. I tried it and found it more trouble than it was worth. It was constantly blocking programs, especially background ones  using from making changes.

It gives you a notification, but the notification opens to the affected folder rather than the executable attempting to make the change. How are you supposed to make an exception if you can't find out exactly what .exe is being blocked? It got to the point where it was just easier to not use Controlled Folder Access than to spend a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what executable I needed to add an exception for.

The feature might have improved since I last tested it, though.

6 minutes ago, DConnell said:

He might want to test it before going all out. I tried it and found it more trouble than it was worth. It was constantly blocking programs, especially background ones  using from making changes.

It gives you a notification, but the notification opens to the affected folder rather than the executable attempting to make the change. How are you supposed to make an exception if you can't find out exactly what .exe is being blocked? It got to the point where it was just easier to not use Controlled Folder Access than to spend a lot of time trying to figure out exactly what executable I needed to add an exception for.

The feature might have improved since I last tested it, though.

Yeah i know what you mean, it needs work. But the way to do it is Ransomware protection --> Allow an app through controlled folder access --> Add an allowed app --> recently blocked

3 minutes ago, exotoxic said:

Yeah i know what you mean, it needs work. But the way to do it is Ransomware protection --> Allow an app through controlled folder access --> Add an allowed app --> recently blocked

Awesome. I'll turn the feature on and see if this helps! I don't recall seeing that when I tried it before ...

12 minutes ago, exotoxic said:

But again, it depends on what @Bruinator is looking to achieve for us to know if that is a suitable option. From the information we have he might just need something like Sandboxie; or if he waits a bit longer and has Windows 10 Pro such a feature will be added as part of the OS.

2 minutes ago, Technique said:

He wants to hide his nrop collection from his partner so help the guy out ;)

Right-click, properties, hide folder. :laugh:

Or if you want to get "really" technical, create a Veracrypt volume and stash everything there.

17 hours ago, Nick H. said:

Right-click, properties, hide folder. :laugh:

Or if you want to get "really" technical, create a Veracrypt volume and stash everything there.

Partner tries to open file, can't figure it out, thinks it's junk & deletes it.

Collection gone 😂😂😂