• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Samsung 1TB 970 Evo M.2 2280 extender cable?

Recommended Posts

Joni_78    48

Hi,

 

I bought Samsung 1TB 970 Evo M.2 2280 for passively cooled build (link below). It's easily going to throttling temperatures (80 C) because the Z270N-WiFi M.2 slot is in the back of the motherboard directly beside the CPU socket with i7-7700K.

 

https://www.insanelymac.com/forum/topic/331330-streacom-db4-fanless-mini-itx-build/

 

I was wondering if there are M.2 extender cables, so I could move the drive away from motherboard. I found this but I'm not quite sure if this is what I need. Anyone know if this is the correct cable?

 

http://www.pc-adapter.net/product/864.html

Edited by Joni_78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    1,695

I have it on the back of my motherboard as well. I never have thermal throttling.

 

You sure your front fans are blowing in cool air? I smell dust clogging up your front fans.

 

If this isn't a boot device, you can get a PCI-e adapter. I personally use this one: 

 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA6V87HX5336&Description=m.2 to pcie adapter&cm_re=m.2_to_pcie_adapter-_-9SIA6V87HX5336-_-Product

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joni_78    48

It's passively cooled, the case is a heatsink. I wanted to try it with 7700k and Radeon RX 560. Processor and GPU temps are within safe temperatures when gaming, but the drive temperature is then about 78 C so I would like to move it away from the processor. I benchmarked the drive until it starts to throttle and it's somewhere between 80-83 C. Of course it's a fast drive even when it throttless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Marujan    75

put some dry ice, it will help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    10,997
4 minutes ago, Joni_78 said:

It's passively cooled, the case is a heatsink. I wanted to try it with 7700k and Radeon RX 560. Processor and GPU temps are within safe temperatures when gaming, but the drive temperature is then about 78 C so I would like to move it away from the processor. I benchmarked the drive until it starts to throttle and it's somewhere between 80-83 C. Of course it's a fast drive even when it throttless.

Somewhat off-topic, but that is a terrible CPU for something like this. Where are you reading the drive temperature? I find it amazing it’s even running at that temperature. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joni_78    48

Yeah, but it's just a hobby. I wanted to see if the case can handle this. I use HWinfo on Windows and HWmonitor on mac.

 

Of course you can't do Prime95 or Afterburner as CPU package temperature for example gets into throttling temperature of 90 C easily. But that's not something that happens on real world situations. On gaming or video encoding CPU is on mid 70 C and GPU mid 60 C.

 

This drive is just hot. Even when cold boot, ambient temperature about 30 C and CPU & GPU at 30 something C, the drive gets really hot (80 C) when doing drive benchmarking on loop, the drive would need atleast good case fans. Moving it away from the hot processor would also keep the drive temperatures on acceptable < 70 C while gaming on encoding. 

Edited by Joni_78

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joni_78    48

I haven't really been following the technology in couple of past years so the M.2 A,E,B stuff is something new to me.

 

I understood that 970 Evo is M.2 2280 M-key drive, so is the motherboard connector. Extension cable to me seems to be just what I need, unless there is something i'm missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
adrynalyne    10,997
2 minutes ago, Joni_78 said:

I haven't really been following the technology in couple of past years so the M.2 A,E,B stuff is something new to me.

 

I understood that 970 Evo is M.2 2280 M-key drive, so is the motherboard connector. Extension cable to me seems to be just what I need, unless there is something i'm missing?

Yes. You need to make sure whatever you use supports NVMe.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joni_78    48
8 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Yes. You need to make sure whatever you use supports NVMe.

Ok. Description says "support all M.2 M-Key SSD such as Samsung XP941 SM950 SM951,960 EVO ...nMVE SSD" so I guess that would do then.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
goretsky    1,003

Hello,

 

I've seen this adapter on sale at Frys:  Micro Connectors Low-Profile M.2 NVMe SSD to PCIe x4 Adapter with Heat Sink for 1U.  It comes with a heat sink that mounts between the card and the SSD.  The company also sells a couple of different heat sinks to mount on top of the drive:  SSD Heat Sink, Low-Profile SSD Heat Sink.

 

If you have a free 16/8/4x PCIe slot, you could give this a try, but you might also want to look at wiring up an additional fan so it blows some air across the heat sink.

 

Regards,

 

Aryeh Goretsky

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,442

You are potentially going to damage or degrade some nice hardware in a ridiculous attempt to passively cool equipment that are NOT designed for that purpose!

 

If low noise is your objective, use 200 mm fans with reduced speeds - you won't hear a thing!

 

If torturing innocent young silicon is your thing, please find a digital S&M forum somewhere. The internet has everything, right?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,442
10 hours ago, Joni_78 said:

Ok. Description says "support all M.2 M-Key SSD such as Samsung XP941 SM950 SM951,960 EVO ...nMVE SSD" so I guess that would do then.

Still, you are introducing cable length to a high speed PCIe x 4 bus which will be possibly prone to signal noise, signal degradation, and general flakyness to save the cost of a $1 small fan. 

 

That's a really bad trade.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+DevTech    1,442
11 hours ago, Joni_78 said:

Yeah, but it's just a hobby. I wanted to see if the case can handle this. I use HWinfo on Windows and HWmonitor on mac.

 

Of course you can't do Prime95 or Afterburner as CPU package temperature for example gets into throttling temperature of 90 C easily. But that's not something that happens on real world situations. On gaming or video encoding CPU is on mid 70 C and GPU mid 60 C.

 

This drive is just hot. Even when cold boot, ambient temperature about 30 C and CPU & GPU at 30 something C, the drive gets really hot (80 C) when doing drive benchmarking on loop, the drive would need atleast good case fans. Moving it away from the hot processor would also keep the drive temperatures on acceptable < 70 C while gaming on encoding. 

"Of course you can't do Prime95 or Afterburner"

 

You are creating, unbelievably on purpose, an unstable computer!

 

A deliberate flaky beast.

 

A computer with "bugs, built in" (sing "Dirty Bugs, designed right in" to the tune of ACDC's "Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap")

 

And a mind twisting glorious Happy New Year's to all and a wish for a 2019 filled with all the zany, weird, and wonderful stuff we can cook up in our mad scientist labs!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    11,375

Sorry, couldn't resist! :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daniel F.    556

I also have a 970evo, the optimum operating temps are 40-60 degrees c. NVME memory does run hot and is designed to be used upto 70 degrees c. if its getting hotter than that then some passive cooling is usually enough to cool it down. 

 

But honestly unless your transfering files for hours on end you'd be hard pressed to notice the thermal throttling without running a benchmark.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.