TITAN RTX - Mad Scientist Idea of the Day

TITAN RTX

NVIDIA® TITAN RTX™ is the fastest PC graphics card ever built for ORIGIN PC desktops. It’s powered by the award-winning Turing™ architecture, bringing 130 Tensor TFLOPs of performance, 576 tensor cores, and 24 GB of ultra-fast GDDR6 memory to your ORIGIN PC. (https://www.originpc.com/landing/2018/nvidia-titan-rtx/)

Mad Scientist Idea of the Day

We keep running across people who say all you need in a gaming PC is 8 gigs of RAM...

Now, the latest NVIDIA gaming GPU has 24 gigs of RAM on board!

If you're gonna run that beauty with a pathetic 8 gigs, why not go all the way down to 2 gigs to get MAXIMUM RIDICULOUS.

What if?

We took a low end CPU with 2 gigs of RAM etc which only has the purpose of booting an O/S INTO THE 24 gigs of GPU RAM

Advantages:

- Super fast

- no video card BSODs since the video card IS the O/S...

- total Mad Scientist vibe!

1 hour ago, Mindovermaster said:

Don't get any ideas from this, kids..... :rolleyes:

Well, maybe somebody should, and here's pointing a finger at YOU, NVIDIA and AMD!

I actually thought that this idea must have been tried by now so I fired up Google...

And then trusty old GitHub:

https://github.com/search?o=desc&q=gpu+linux&s=stars&type=Repositories

(And if you run Linux with a GPU in it, check out some of those projects. Bet you find a useful util or two...)

And guess what? In the Linux Universe of "scratch your itch, fork everything" there is NOTHING

Tons of results on how Linux Video drivers and GPU support is so constantly CRAPPY!

So what is going on?

The Antithesis of OSS ---->>  Proprietary Hardware Info.

Both AMD and NVIDIA have all sorts of SECRET BITS concerning the low level "pedal to the metal" of their GPU technologies which makes it probably impossible to write a proper OS Kernel for them... You could maybe do some sort of Toy Project with CUDA programming but Kernels and the Boot Process are keys to owning the hardware...

Some large benefactor with Big Bouncy Balls (*) needs to fund an Open Source GPU Hardware design and take over the world like ARM did, well better than stupid ARM and their licensing - something TRUE PUBLIC DOMAIN for ALL HUMANITY (that;s us, the people, yeah)

Hmmm... isn't that the purpose of Government? take the people's money via taxes and give them something back that they want that needs collective grouping of resources?

2020 Election: Vote for the GPU Party!

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, DevTech said:

@adrynalynehave you ever come across a project to boot an O/S hosted in a GPU?

I really thought I had seen one somewhere but I can't find it...

Can’t say I have, LOL. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible. 

1 hour ago, adrynalyne said:

Can’t say I have, LOL. I don’t see why it wouldn’t be possible. 

Thanks for dropping in

My best guess is proprietary hardware info on bare metal of GPU...