Hard Drive not showing up

Hey everyone, 

So my buddy gave me a HP laptop saying that his dad or something dropped the laptop and the next he knows, the computer no longer detects the hard drive and cannot boot up at all.

I've tried using HDD dock reader thing and disk management did not show up. I even tried on Linux and nothing works either.

Thanks, 

Does the laptop boot up? As in BIOS loads up?

If your laptop is OK, you can easily get a new one. :) 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DentedAphid7 said:

Hey everyone, 

So my buddy gave me a HP laptop saying that his dad or something dropped the laptop and the next he knows, the computer no longer detects the hard drive and cannot boot up at all.

I've tried using HDD dock reader thing and disk management did not show up. I even tried on Linux and nothing works either.

Thanks, 

Most likely the hard drive is dead since it was dropped, you have already done the best troubleshooting by removing the drive and trying to access it externally. Buy an SSD for under $75 and put it the laptop, reinstall the OS and it is good to go.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Most likely the hard drive is dead since it was dropped, you have already done the best troubleshooting by removing the drive and trying to access it externally. Buy an SSD for under $75 and put it the laptop, reinstall the OS and it is good to go.

Thanks

On 1/13/2019 at 12:21 PM, DentedAphid7 said:

Thanks

Check for a M.2 slot by downloading service manual for you model number.

If M.2 available, buy a Samsung 970 EVO.

If only SATA available, buy a Sumsung 860.

Hard drives die in all sorts of ways from drops. Instant death is from damage to the spindle bearings causing drive to seize up. Slow death is from the head gouging a hole in the platters releasing particles inside the drive which cause further damage in a chain reaction.

13 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Check for a M.2 slot by downloading service manual for you model number.

If M.2 available, buy a Samsung 970 EVO.

If only SATA available, buy a Sumsung 860.

Hard drives die in all sorts of ways from drops. Instant death is from damage to the spindle bearings causing drive to seize up. Slow death is from the head gouging a hole in the platters releasing particles inside the drive which cause further damage in a chain reaction.

If the worst case I can't fix it then just have to get a new one and re-install windows on it. 

Edited by DentedAphid7

Just now, DentedAphid7 said:

If the worst case I can't fix it then just have to get a new one and re-install windows on it. 

You probably can't fix the drive. Unless all the drop did was disconnect the drive but they are usually screwed into place, so most likely plain old dead.

I was just agreeing with @jnelsoninjax and providing details on which SSDs to purchase

On 1/14/2019 at 1:37 AM, Mindovermaster said:

Does the laptop boot up? As in BIOS loads up?

If your laptop is OK, you can easily get a new one. :) 

Yeah the laptop boots up fine. I can see the bios screen and everything.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:59 AM, jnelsoninjax said:

Buy an SSD for under $75 and put it the laptop, reinstall the OS and it is good to go.

Hell, if your just using it for basic use... I would spend no where near $75 (especially if the laptop is just going to be used for simple tasks) as you can get a decent brand for around $30. but I guess it just boils down to how much one is comfortable spending and how old the laptop is as if it's somewhat older, it's not worth investing too much in it. hence, go with a 120-128GB range SSD for around $30 as you can find a Intel 545s 128GB SSD for around $30 if you wait til it's on sale as I got mine for $31.99 about a half year ago but I seen it not all that long ago for $26.99 which is the best SSD I have seen for around $30.

but with that said... your general comment there I basically agree with.

16 minutes ago, DentedAphid7 said:

This is the latest update when I tried using another HDD docking station.

Hell, do a full format on the drive and see what happens. assuming your not attempting any data rescue etc.

15 minutes ago, ThaCrip said:

Hell, if your just using it for basic use... I would spend no where near $75 (especially if the laptop is just going to be used for simple tasks) as you can get a decent brand for around $30. but I guess it just boils down to how much one is comfortable spending and how old the laptop is as if it's somewhat older, it's not worth investing too much in it. hence, go with a 120-128GB range SSD for around $30 as you can find a Intel 545s 128GB SSD for around $30 if you wait til it's on sale as I got mine for $31.99 about a half year ago but I seen it not all that long ago for $26.99 which is the best SSD I have seen for around $30.

but with that said... your general comment there I basically agree with.

Hell, do a full format on the drive and see what happens. assuming your not attempting any data rescue etc.

Well that what I was trying to avoid is losing data. Looks like no go lol

2 hours ago, DentedAphid7 said:

Well that what I was trying to avoid is losing data. Looks like no go lol

If you have enough space on your other drives you could, and I strongly recommend, create a drive image of the suspected faulty drive, and do data recovery on the new image. I recommend TestDisk, as that can do drive imaging, partition rescue, and file recovery all in one tool. It's a DOS like GUI though, they are working on a QT GUI but it still has a way to go.

ALWAYS if possible create drive images of suspected damaged drives, and work with the image. Keeping the drive running could be worsening whatever damage there is, unless you're not arsed (yeah, I'm British lol) about the drive itself once the image is done.