Trying to Use Really Old Scanner - Should I just Bin It?

I have a Lexmark 6300 that I want to use the scanner on.

Windows can identify it's a 6300 but can't install any drivers.

I found some drivers but Windows doesn't seem to see they're installed.

I found a piece of software called "VueScan" which says the scanner is compatible but then when booting into the program, it says I need to install the Lexmark drivers and forwards me to a page of current Lexmark printers and scanners.

Is there anything else I should try?

I feel bad for already wasting 45 mins of my time messing about in Device Manager with this.

Scanning through work and emailing back home (which the emails turn up sometimes a week later!) is a slow process.  Can't do it any other way as work IT have locked the scanner there down massively.

Short of using VMWare and installing Windows XP, I'm going to think this might take far more of your time than its worth.

Save yourself several hours, get a nice scanner with modern drivers and recycle or donate the old one.

On 1/18/2019 at 10:57 AM, Sir Topham Hatt said:

I have a Lexmark 6300 that I want to use the scanner on.

Windows can identify it's a 6300 but can't install any drivers.

I found some drivers but Windows doesn't seem to see they're installed.

I found a piece of software called "VueScan" which says the scanner is compatible but then when booting into the program, it says I need to install the Lexmark drivers and forwards me to a page of current Lexmark printers and scanners.

Is there anything else I should try?

I feel bad for already wasting 45 mins of my time messing about in Device Manager with this.

Scanning through work and emailing back home (which the emails turn up sometimes a week later!) is a slow process.  Can't do it any other way as work IT have locked the scanner there down massively.

On 1/18/2019 at 11:23 AM, Joe User said:

Short of using VMWare and installing Windows XP, I'm going to think this might take far more of your time than its worth.

Save yourself several hours, get a nice scanner with modern drivers and recycle or donate the old one.

There was a change to the scanner device model quite a few years back. It also killed many webcams...

If you have Win 10 Pro version, HyperV is included for free. Boot XP, install old device driver. It will work. If you don't have Pro, the free VirtualBox will certainly be good enough to run a scanner.

Worth the learning time if you find VMs interesting, otherwise as Joe suggests, a new scanner or printer/scanner combo is indicated.

Thanks - new one it is then!

To be fair, I can pick up ones for £5 locally that people sell.  I'd just rather spend that £5 on a burger! ha ha

Cheers :D

• Like 1

depending on what it is your scanning now days you can take a pic with your phone and using software import it into the office doc

I'm surprised VueScan didn't work, I seem to remember it has its own drivers which worked with a lot of different scanners.

You could try going to device manager, right click, update drivers for your scanner, then browsing to the VueScan directory and see if it's generic drivers will be picked up and installed for your scanner.

My Dad has a couple of very expensive slide / film scanners that cost many £100's at the time. Neither scanner ever got drivers for anything other than 32bit Windows XP. However they work great on 64bit Windows 10 thanks to VueScan. The quality of the scans made with VueScan is also vastly superior to the scanners native software.

I'm all for trying to keep perfectly good hardware running when the only issue is lack of drivers :), as you say worst case scenario you can pickup a scanner pretty cheap these days.

7 hours ago, InsaneNutter said:

I'm surprised VueScan didn't work, I seem to remember it has its own drivers which worked with a lot of different scanners.

You could try going to device manager, right click, update drivers for your scanner, then browsing to the VueScan directory and see if it's generic drivers will be picked up and installed for your scanner.

My Dad has a couple of very expensive slide / film scanners that cost many £100's at the time. Neither scanner ever got drivers for anything other than 32bit Windows XP. However they work great on 64bit Windows 10 thanks to VueScan. The quality of the scans made with VueScan is also vastly superior to the scanners native software.

I'm all for trying to keep perfectly good hardware running when the only issue is lack of drivers :), as you say worst case scenario you can pickup a scanner pretty cheap these days.

I tried using VueScan on my HP Lazerjet MFP-M129-M134. My Dad tried it as well. It didn't work on mine, but it worked it on my Dad's. (both running Mint 19.1)

On 1/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, DevTech said:

If you have Win 10 Pro version, HyperV is included for free

Does Hyper-V pass through USB scanners? It didn't the last time I used it, which is why I switched to VMWare.

49 minutes ago, Joe User said:

Does Hyper-V pass through USB scanners? It didn't the last time I used it, which is why I switched to VMWare.

Good point!

VMWare uses a kind of hack, but who cares if it works...

Microsoft names this tech area Discrete Device Assignment

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2015/11/19/discrete-device-assignment-description-and-background/

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/virtualization/2015/11/20/discrete-device-assignment-machines-and-devices/

They have a supported "easy" solution known as VMConnect:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/learn-more/use-local-resources-on-hyper-v-virtual-machine-with-vmconnect

The problem with that is the most downlevel OS supported as guest for that is Windows 8.1

Which I suspect won't help much with ancient scanners...

There is a fair amount of third party software and "VitualHere" has a free version that supports a single device:

https://virtualhere.com

A user comment in this article has a PowerShell Script that might be useful:

https://www.altaro.com/hyper-v/hyper-v-usb/

---------

Anyways thanks for the note since I hadn't tried non-storage devices and now I have material bookmarked if I ever need it. There are too mant advantages of HyperV for me to consider anything else and also VS 2017 has a fairly hard dep on it...

Since Hyper-V supports nested VMs it might be possible to run a Windows 10 VM inside HyperV which in turn runs VMWare or VirtualBox if they recognize the Nested VM tech and then use VMConnect to pass the USB but...

Linux standard hypervisor supports Nested VMs with some config work so if there is any Linux support for ancient scanners, that might be a way to do it depending on what is going on with HyperV support in Linux - I know Ubuntu includes HyperV drivers and stuff in the standard distro so that everything "just works" but have they nailed down USB?