Anyone here not getting pay because Trump shutdown the government?

Is anyone here a federal worker or a federal contractor worker who is not getting pay while Trump shutdown the government?

Tell me how you are getting by and what cutbacks you have had to make.

My brother in law isn't getting a paycheck but since he lives well within his means and not paycheck to paycheck, he's just fine. He considers potential shutdowns as part of the risk of being a federal employee.

Personally, my family would also not be impacted if I were on furlough as we have several years worth of emergency funds.  

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, TrekRich said:

Credit unions are offering 0% loans for people that are effected by it

They shouldn't be anymore...the shutdown was put on hold.

and everyone got their or is getting their back-pay, so they "didn't lose any money", it was just delayed.  Besides, blaming just Trump for the shutdown is not really correct- it was also Schumer and Pelosi- just because President Trump wanted border wall funding (which they were all for when other presidents wanted it)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jamwheat said:

and everyone got their or is getting their back-pay, so they "didn't lose any money", it was just delayed.  Besides, blaming just Trump for the shutdown is not really correct- it was also Schumer and Pelosi- just because President Trump wanted border wall funding (which they were all for when other presidents wanted it)

Trump owned it, you don't get to make that decision. There is also no reason the shutdown had to happen to continue negotiations. Trump made that stand.

If it was such a major deal, why didn't he push it when the GOP controlled everything?

19 minutes ago, jamwheat said:

border wall funding (which they were all for when other presidents wanted it)

Other presidents wanted strategic fencing and increased protection at legal ports of entry I believe, and so did the DHS.  Nobody other than Trump actually wants a wall.  The only one telling us otherwise is Trump.

It makes me wonder how much he'd actually make off building this wall.

There are some things I don't understand.

I read a lot of news articles about federal employees not having money for food or other basic stuff during the shutdown but are their wages so low or their expenses so high that the can't put some money on the side? Do they actually live from paycheck to paycheck without any savings whatsoever?

Ever since I got my first job during college 25 years ago I kept saving some money in a dedicated savings account each month in case I lose my job or something unexpected happens, so I find it hard to believe that somebody that gets a steady paycheck for decades like those federal employees can't save SOMETHING...

If 35 days without a wage were enough to bring them to their knees I shudder to think what would happen in a real crisis.

Those federal employees should be blaming themselves too, not just Trump or Pelosi or whoever else comes to their mind.

2 hours ago, john_alex said:

I read a lot of news articles about federal employees not having money for food or other basic stuff during the shutdown but are their wages so low or their expenses so high that the can't put some money on the side? Do they actually live from paycheck to paycheck without any savings whatsoever?

Ever since I got my first job during college 25 years ago I kept saving some money in a dedicated savings account each month in case I lose my job or something unexpected happens, so I find it hard to believe that somebody that gets a steady paycheck for decades like those federal employees can't save SOMETHING...

If 35 days without a wage were enough to bring them to their knees I shudder to think what would happen in a real crisis.

Those federal employees should be blaming themselves too, not just Trump or Pelosi or whoever else comes to their mind.

Typical blame the victim mentality. 

2 hours ago, john_alex said:

According to this...about 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

...and no ... it wasn't their fault they weren't getting paid and it was also a situation beyond their control.

53 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

Typical blame the victim mentality. 

That was not blame the victim, it was an honest question. I wondered the same thing myself. While the situation of them not getting paid was out of their control, them saving some money was more than likely in their control. I mean what if they were to get fired from their job then what?

39 minutes ago, Jim K said:

According to this...about 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.

...and no ... it wasn't their fault they weren't getting paid and it was also a situation beyond their control.

While the situation of them not getting paid was out of their control, them saving some money was more than likely in their control. I mean what if they were to get fired from their job then what?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Trump owned it, you don't get to make that decision. There is also no reason the shutdown had to happen to continue negotiations. Trump made that stand.

If it was such a major deal, why didn't he push it when the GOP controlled everything?

Yeah, Trump owned it.  He also tried multiple times to get the Dems to the table, but Pelosi even said "NO" before he even made his offer on TV.  Control was barely there when the Republicans were "in power", but both sides still fought Trump on everything.  Usually, when Trump tried something, there were always lawsuits against everything he did.  So, what's the answer?  I say all need kicked out of office that are all for helping illegals here in the USA, while not doing a dang thing for the American people.  The news agencies need slapped down for their biased, like the 2 years of 90%+ negative crap against Trump we have been hearing day in and day out.  Like the crap against the "Maga kids" with the libel and slander by the media, politicians, and celebrities.  Sorry, but this is a sore spot with me today, with all the crap that's been going on.

19 minutes ago, warwagon said:

While the situation of them not getting paid was out of their control, them saving some money was more than likely in their control. I mean what if they were to get fired from their job then what?

...getting fired is different ... no?  Getting fired is because of some action by the employee ... something within their control.  Anyway, one cannot be in the shoes of those who were affected and say "well, you should have...." 

No, the 800k Federal employees should have gotten paid.  No need to blame the people who are living paycheck to paycheck while contributing to their retirement (FERS/TSP) and health insurance.

Edit:  I will say that I was not impacted by this latest shutdown (VA is funded through Sept I believe).  Even if I had ... I would have been fine (house paid off, monthly military retirement check).

9 minutes ago, Jim K said:

No, the 800k Federal employees should have gotten paid.  No need to blame the people who are living paycheck to paycheck while contributing to their retirement (FERS/TSP) and health insurance.

Not blaming them, but as Dave Ramsey recommends, (in baby step 3) is that it's a good idea to have an emergency fund of 3 to 6 months of expenses before saving for retirement. Just in case your income becomes unavailable for a little while. You are correct, they should have gotten paid, but a situation that was out of their control happened and because they were paycheck to paycheck it started getting serious fast.

3 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Not blaming them, but as Dave Ramsey recommends, (in baby step 3) is that it's a good idea to have an emergency fund of 3 to 6 months of expenses before saving for retirement. Just in case your income becomes unavailable for a little while. You are correct they should have gotten paid, but a situation that was out of their control happened and because they were paycheck to paycheck it started getting serious fast.

...but some can not do that...as pointed out about 78% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck.  Just because you're a government employee doesn't mean you're rolling in the green cash.  

This isn't the employee's fault ...

6 minutes ago, Jim K said:

...but some can not do that.  Just because you're a government employee doesn't mean you're rolling in the green cash.  

Agree'd, some can not, but they were making it out to sound like a "Large" majority.

Just now, warwagon said:

Agree'd some can not, but they were making it out to sound like a "Large" majority.

Who knows how many were the most affected.  So, the media should have been quiet on people having to ration their insulin ... because???

5 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Trump owned it but Ryan and McConnell enabled it.  In December, when H.R.695 went to the Senate, it passed, then the house decided to edit it and put $5.7 billion for Trump to waste.  When January rolled around, the SAME bill (w/o the $5.7b pork project)  was brought back up to the Senate, and McConnell refused to allow a vote.  To hell with all of them.

Trump is not a king.  Congress had weeks to override any veto he may have put up. The Senate didn't even try, because Mitch wanted to look strong AND he wanted to make sure Trump paid the price for this shutdown.

McConnell and his friends like to wail and cry about politics and how horrible things are, when they're the ones enabling it.