How to disable Windows 10 updates permanently

15 minutes ago, Mayk98 said:

Hey,

I did it by using these steps:

1. Open Start.
  2. Search for gpedit.msc and select the top result to launch the experience.
  3. Navigate to the following path.
  4. Double-click the Configure Automatic Updates policy on the right side.
  5. Check the Disabled option to turn off the policy.

Happy web surfing! 

On 2/19/2019 at 9:48 PM, spacelordmaster said:

I have completely given up on Windows 10. I have had enough. It was working fine and then came the updates that completely made my PC crash over and over again. Blue screen of death. Formatted HD, downloaded latest version of Windows 10 and did a clean install....Same thing happened. I don’t know what updates are creating the issues but I am done. Back to Windows 7. Never had this issues with Windows 7 - ever. All I use my PC is to play games anyways (gaming rig) so I could care less about Windows 10 as 7 does the job just fine. Just my 2 cents.

Yep, I now avoid those stupid updates permanently by running Linux on all my machines except for wife's Windows 7 machine, which will be converted to Linux once it reaches EOL, if not sooner! So much less maintenance and so fewer headaches and so much faster updating using Linux. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Disabling Windows update doesn't work anymore. Microsoft has some sort of watch dog mechanism inside the OS that detects the status of the Update service and re-enables it if it gets turned off.

You don't have to disconnect from the internet. What you do is remove the update service altogether. Now Windows cannot update your computer no matter what updates it detects because the program that facilitates the update process doesn't exist.

• Facepalm 2

Option 1. Add the following to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\Hosts

127.0.0.1   update.microsoft.com

127.0.0.1   download.windowsupdate.com

Then disable the security notification's in security centre for Windows Update.

This will prevent it from scanning for updates.

Option 2. Alternately, disable the Windows Update Service in Administrative Tools > Services.

Just ensure that you do periodically run it as a manual exercise on your terms; so that you don't become part of the problem.

Hello,

This will have no effect. Microsoft disabled blocking of its update servers via hosts file somewhere in Microsoft Windows XP's life-cycle in order to prevent malware from using this technique to block access to updates.  Here is an example of attempting to block those two hosts under Windows 10:

image.thumb.png.4d8819be7af54ffad292bc99f919b527.png 

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

On 7/19/2019 at 5:22 AM, C:Amie said:

Option 1. Add the following to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\Hosts

127.0.0.1   update.microsoft.com

127.0.0.1   download.windowsupdate.com

Then disable the security notification's in security centre for Windows Update.

This will prevent it from scanning for updates.

Option 2. Alternately, disable the Windows Update Service in Administrative Tools > Services.

Just ensure that you do periodically run it as a manual exercise on your terms; so that you don't become part of the problem.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:07 AM, goretsky said:

Hello,

There is no way to permanently disable updates in Windows 10.  Even enterprise versions update, although system administrators have some more granular control about when those updates are applied...

Actually there does seem to be a way to permanently disable Windows updates. Remove the Update Service (wuauserv?). That'll stop Windows from trying to install any updates, because that component is needed to facilitate the update process.

On 1/27/2019 at 1:07 AM, goretsky said:

... There are several reasons Microsoft chose this strategy, but a major component of their reasoning is that people who do not install updates are unsafe on the Internet.  Not only are they vulnerable to being attacked, their computers serve as platforms from which additional attacks can be performed.  Having everyone on the latest patches helps mitigate this problem.

I feel like Microsoft could have done better on this though. Updates that change the UI, add/remove features and/or improves on existing features could be set to optional, whereas security-related updates could be mandatory. Since security updates are the most important kind, they should try to make it so that those updates do not require the computer being restarted.

That would be the most ideal solution in my opinion. People who don't care to update their computers can avoid newer upgrades, yet still receive security updates without the machine needing to be rebooted.

On 7/19/2019 at 7:22 AM, C:Amie said:

... Option 2. Alternately, disable the Windows Update Service in Administrative Tools > Services.

That doesn't work anymore. Microsoft has found a way to re-enable the service. I noticed this occur with my Windows 10 copy. I decided to remove the Update service entirely. It's been smooth sailing since.

19 hours ago, DeeTech95 said:

That doesn't work anymore. Microsoft has found a way to re-enable the service. I noticed this occur with my Windows 10 copy. I decided to remove the Update service entirely. It's been smooth sailing since.

disabling it from services.msc stopped working with 1607 and greater as that only worked with the RTM/1507 & 1511 releases of Win10

only certain 3rd party tools like StopUpdates10, O&OShutup10 and WUB (windows update blocker) can reliably disable them permanently in recent Win10 versions

On 7/25/2019 at 5:50 PM, erpster3 said:

... only certain 3rd party tools like StopUpdates10, O&OShutup10 and WUB (windows update blocker) can reliably disable them permanently in recent Win10 versions

Yeah. I decided to remove the Update service entirely. Some of those update blocker programs I used in the past didn't work 100%.

Making these changes in gpedit.msc appears to work well for me, no unauthorized updating ever since applying them onto this new PC three months ago:

Computer Config > Admin Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update

Configure Automatic Updates: ENABLED, (Option 2 - notify for download and auto install)
Enabling Windows Update Power Management to automatically wake the system: DISABLED
No auto-restart with logged on users for scheduled automatic update installations: ENABLED
Turn off auto-restart notifications for update installations: ENABLED

On 7/25/2019 at 5:50 PM, erpster3 said:

disabling it from services.msc stopped working with 1607 and greater as that only worked with the RTM/1507 & 1511 releases of Win10 ...

Maybe disabling doesn't work after 1607, but I'm talking about removing the .sys file from Windows, rather than just disabling it in Services.msc. I'm running version 1803 and the Windows Update service is gone. I found the location of the file and deleted it. It hasn't showed up in services.msc for months. Now because that crucial file is missing, Windows cannot look for, download and install updates. I made sure to go the extra mile after I found out about the deletion bug in 1809. I'm waiting a while before I decided to update.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/31/2019 at 1:57 PM, DeeTech95 said:

Maybe disabling doesn't work after 1607, but I'm talking about removing the .sys file from Windows, rather than just disabling it in Services.msc. I'm running version 1803 and the Windows Update service is gone. I found the location of the file and deleted it. It hasn't showed up in services.msc for months. Now because that crucial file is missing, Windows cannot look for, download and install updates. I made sure to go the extra mile after I found out about the deletion bug in 1809. I'm waiting a while before I decided to update.

the so-called "file deletion" bug in v1809 was fully fixed in the build 17763.107 re-release in mid-Nov. 2018 so I did not encounter the data destroying file deletion problem with 1809 at all (and I always upgrade or do feature updates using the ISO method, not thru Windows Update)

as much as you guys think otherwise, disabling updates is a BAD idea just asking for trouble down the road as you miss security patches and such ...

I've been using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4 for a few years now, and I have yet to have anything break from installing updates.

The best method would be to defer updates until you're sure they won't cause issues, and then install them. I guarantee 100% that you will cause more damage to your PC by trying to turn the update service off, than if you would installing updates. 

29 minutes ago, Brandon H said:

as much as you guys think otherwise, disabling updates is a BAD idea just asking for trouble down the road as you miss security patches and such ...

Yep, couldn't pay me to use that machine on the internet.

22 minutes ago, warwagon said:

Yep, couldn't pay me to use that machine on the internet.

What if it wasn't your machine.. i mean.. it could be fun.. 

They should start a gameshow.. guess how long it takes for an OS to get ######ed from using the interwebz without patching.. 

33 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

I've been using Windows 10 on a Surface Pro 4 for a few years now, and I have yet to have anything break from installing updates.

That's normally because you have Windows 10 dedicated hardware. Not like some of us who has mixed hardware.

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

That's normally because you have Windows 10 dedicated hardware. Not like some of us who has mixed hardware.

The OP said he had the same machine. So, what's breaking on his SP4 that isn't on mine?

6 minutes ago, Dot Matrix said:

The OP said he had the same machine. So, what's breaking on his SP4 that isn't on mine?

He fooked it and put in non-standard hardware. (aka, I don't know...)

16 hours ago, Brandon H said:

This x1000. Deferring feature updates shouldn't be a problem as long as the version you're on is supported but stopping updates completely is a bad idea.