Initializing new HDD?

So i just put in a new 6TB HDD to my machine, replacing the old 1TB drive that was in there.

No doubt of no surprise to you guys but it didn't show in My Computer. I wondered if i needed to assign it a letter via disk management and was faced with this when i opened it up...

INITIALIS.thumb.jpg.0b89f55281571a16e7c6fcc947386edd.jpg

So the default is "MBR" but reading below it seems to suggest (to me at least) i should select GPT?

Windows is Windows 7 64 bit Pro.

Just wondering what i should select so a) i don't mess things up and b) i can then use the drive.

GPT is what you want to use.

Once it's initialised then you can format it and give it a drive letter and then you're good to go!

• Like 2

Superb. Worked a treat. Thanks guys.

5.45GB. Kinda annoying you never get the full whack but hey ho. Seems the gap is more the higher you go. What's a 12TB drive then? 10.5TB? lol

3 minutes ago, Technique said:

5.45GB. Kinda annoying you never get the full whack but hey ho. Seems the gap is more the higher you go. What's a 12TB drive then? 10.5TB? lol

You do mean TB, right? :laugh: 

MB and Mb are two different things. ;)

6 minutes ago, Technique said:

That...

11 minutes ago, Technique said:

Manufacturers measure space in GB.  Windows measures in GiB and calls it GB. That accounts for most of the discrepancy. GB = 1000MB. GiB = 1024MB. 

• Thanks 1

Windows support for hard disks that are larger than 2 TB

Summary
In order for an operating system to fully support storage devices that have capacities that exceed 2 terabytes (2 TB, or 2 trillion bytes), the device must be initialized by using the GUID partition table (GPT) partitioning scheme. This scheme supports addressing of the full range of storage capacity. If the user intends to start the computer from one of these large disks, the system’s base firmware interface must use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI) and not BIOS.

^ sorry but that is not really true.. You can use Basic or MBR formatting over 2TB  just needs support over 512 sectors... Newer drives should be 4k, use the tool fsutil fsinfo on your disk..

See here this 3TB drive is not GPT..

2TBdisk.thumb.png.f8055ae7a10900cf61adf5b16c67caf6.png

example that I drive above

4k.thumb.png.148d8162a45bae26479656fb762242fa.png

21 hours ago, BudMan said:

^ sorry but that is not really true.. You can use Basic or MBR formatting over 2TB  just needs support over 512 sectors... Newer drives should be 4k, use the tool fsutil fsinfo on your disk..

See here this 3TB drive is not GPT..

2TBdisk.thumb.png.f8055ae7a10900cf61adf5b16c67caf6.png

example that I drive above

4k.thumb.png.148d8162a45bae26479656fb762242fa.png

While that is true, it's not MS recommended way as per the help page.

6 hours ago, BudMan said:

Just pointing out that the info is not actually correct...

Thanks for your ongoing efforts in improving technical excellence!

Details matter in tech, maybe in everything else as well :)

1 hour ago, DevTech said:

Thanks for your ongoing efforts in improving technical excellence!

Details matter in tech, maybe in everything else as well :)

That's the shortest post you ever made....