Website extremely slow!

Question

I had a fellow Neowinian and his partner design a new website for my business. It uses the Avada theme on WordPress. He ran it on a test server during development and it ran perfectly. Now that it's uploaded to my host, Network Solutions, it is VERY slow. Like 10-11 seconds to load each page.

Http:www.coveredwagonpromotions.com 

Anyone have any troubleshooting I can try? We updated to php 7.0 and also made sure all plug-ins are up to date. I'm very close to switching hosts but I'd rather not go through the hassle of this speed issue can be solved.

17 answers to this question

Have you checked that the DB (assuming MYSQL) isn't overloaded? Does the site load pages that don't connect to the DB faster (IE <?php phpinfo(); ?> ) 

OK, on the initial load it took a bit longer then I would think it should, but checking on all the different pages it loaded pretty fast.

could be bad code, could be host system, could be a lot of things.  

utilizing google chrome, hit the f12 key.  go to the performance tab.  run a performance check.  You will find that your scripting and painting is taking a long time to process.  

I would say your java script needs to be tweaked/looked at.

2 hours ago, sc302 said:

could be bad code, could be host system, could be a lot of things.  

utilizing google chrome, hit the f12 key.  go to the performance tab.  run a performance check.  You will find that your scripting and painting is taking a long time to process.  

I would say your java script needs to be tweaked/looked at.

Well, the thing is that the site ran lightning fast on the test server. I'm thinking it has to be something on network solutions' end. Maybe something configured wrong there?

It's still active on the test server. http://seowisdom.net/covered-wagon/ extremely fast, the way it should be.

seems to be OK now.  Not great but OK. At least in edge....I still think it is a programming issue, not a server issue.

http://www.coveredwagonpromotions.com

also, current programming may not like the host/version it is on...more specifically the host/wordpress/php/cpanel version may not like the programming and choke on it.

59 minutes ago, sc302 said:

seems to be OK now.  Not great but OK. At least in edge....I still think it is a programming issue, not a server issue.

http://www.coveredwagonpromotions.com

also, current programming may not like the host/version it is on...more specifically the host/wordpress/php/cpanel version may not like the programming and choke on it.

I'd say its a combination. A 4.5 MB page load seems rather high for such a simplistic site but there is nothing in it that is very large. One page load is 66 requests however, and with an oversold shared web host, you will see that time add up if each request is slower than expected. However, even if you cut out all the requests and just retrieve the document which is 12.7KB, its almost 5 seconds and sometimes more.

https://tools.pingdom.com/#5a3039a414000000

No amount of code changes are going to fix that built in 5-6 second latency on the first call.

There are improvements (to cut down server requests) that would help sure, but at the end of the day, its a mis-configured web server, or an oversold shared host. I suspect the latter as I have dealt with it many times.

8 hours ago, patseguin said:

Well, the thing is that the site ran lightning fast on the test server

And where was the test server?  And were were you testing it from?  People tend to forget that things on a lan is way different than being 30ms away or even farther.. full gig lan speeds vs internet speeds..

Guessing that test server wasn't doing anything else, while your host is prob a shared host?  Can you the specs of the test box vs your host.. Is using the same DB backend? specs, same httpd? etc. etc.

8 hours ago, BudMan said:

And where was the test server?  And were were you testing it from?  People tend to forget that things on a lan is way different than being 30ms away or even farther.. full gig lan speeds vs internet speeds..

Guessing that test server wasn't doing anything else, while your host is prob a shared host?  Can you the specs of the test box vs your host.. Is using the same DB backend? specs, same httpd? etc. etc.

He was running the test server on seowisdom.net

You'd think a huge hosting company like Network Solutions could handle a pretty simple website like this. Plus the guy tells me the Avada theme is one of the most popular out there. I'm thinking I may need to get it off Network Solutions and switch to Bluehost or something.

57 minutes ago, patseguin said:

He was running the test server on seowisdom.net

You'd think a huge hosting company like Network Solutions could handle a pretty simple website like this. Plus the guy tells me the Avada theme is one of the most popular out there. I'm thinking I may need to get it off Network Solutions and switch to Bluehost or something.

Part of the problem with huge hosts is that more often than not they oversell their shared solutions and make you pay extra for dedicated that looks oh so much better because they cannot oversell those. They like to see how many sites they can cram onto a single server. 

I USED to run Wordpress sites on Network Solutions hosted platform.  The reason why I do not any longer is that the MySQL backend for their hosted shared server plans is far too slow.  I had to move to a VPS solution to finally get the site to run at reasonable speeds (and I left Network Solutions and went to Blue Host).  I imagine that there are other shared hosted services that do not have the huge MySQL lag that NetSol does, but I am not aware of any specific ones.  Good Luck.

9 minutes ago, adrynalyne said:

They like to see how many sites they can cram onto a single server. 

Yeah that is a very common issue with shared hosting..

If you want to test the site on a different host - I have a shared hosting account with dreamhost... Could put it up there for testing.  Just PM me and will create you sub account you can use to test it out with, etc.

I have a few domains we could use for testing it with as well.

Make sure the server and the MySQL server are in the same data center. I had an issue with slow load times and the two servers were in different DCs. When I had the host move them to the same DC, problem went away.

Also can try installing minification/caching plugins.

I am happy to put it on one of my hosts to test it if you wish? would let you see how fast it loads somewhere else