Free DVD copy\ shrink\ clone software.

Question

I'm trying to find a good free DVD Shrink\ Copy \ clone software.  It's for my father.  Years ago I would have just got an illegal copy of something.  I don't do that anymore (haven't done it in years).   He's a pensioner so he doesn't have much money.  He's tried trial versions of Cone DVD etc but they only allow him to make a 30-minute copy, so they are useless.  Any help would be most appreciated.  Thanks, guys.

Edited by Doomster71

3 answers to this question

Is this just for media DVDs?  You could use makemkv ... though it will make an exact copy of the actual movie (with no compression)...so 3GB+ .mkv rips.  Along with that downside .. unless you buy a copy you have to enter a new activation key every two months (it is "free while in beta" ... it has been in beta for years now).  See this thread for activation codes ...  https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1053

To compress you could run the makemkv rip through Handbrake.  Its UI can also seem a bit complex though it does have default presents (and you can create your own) so the process could be as simple as loading the makemkv rip...selecting a present and transcode.  There are also methods to have Handbrake rip/compress DVDs ... a Google search will yield information on that (I personally do not do this).

Anyway,  I'm not aware of any other free software that can rip/compress DVDs without some limitation/cost.  So, IMO, the best option is MakeMKV --> Handbrake (if compression is required).

I believe the old school products sometimes are still the best. In this case, i would recommend DVDShrink.  It will copy and it will compress and most importantly, ITS FREE! They do ask for donations. 

Hope that helps

Edited by Tech Geek Alex