Moving Home, New Setup, Apple Tv?

Hi, My old Samsung le40m87bf that i have had for almost 12 years is finally on deaths door, and as we are moving house i figured i would finally upgrade it. Also as we mostly watch Tv thought the Xbox One these days (due to the TVs age, and it not supporting Smart Tv Apps etc.), but as i don't play Xbox any more due to time constraints thought i would replace that also!

So, I was thinking about a new Tv plus an Apple Tv, but don't know if that would a bit daft considering that most (if not all) on demand apps you can now get on the Smart TVs anyway.

I'm NOT considering getting and a superbly large Tv (probably only 40" again, but possibly smaller tbh), and as a result will not really leverage 4K on the Apple Tv... but i do like the idea of being able to look at the catalogue on my phone, and then push it to the Tv, also it's quite slick..

I can do my own research on specific TVs, but just after some thoughts on a best-fit 'simple set-up' for a couple that only really watch live tv, and on-demand stuff (iPlayer, All4, Netflix, NowTv, Etc.)... no sports or films regularly really either - just stick with a Smart Tv?

We are based in the UK.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, BGM said:

Hi, My old Samsung le40m87bf that i have had for almost 12 years is finally on deaths door, and as we are moving house i figured i would finally upgrade it. Also as we mostly watch Tv thought the Xbox One these days (due to the TVs age, and it not supporting Smart Tv Apps etc.), but as i don't play Xbox any more due to time constraints thought i would replace that also!

So, I was thinking about a new Tv plus an Apple Tv, but don't know if that would a bit daft considering that most (if not all) on demand apps you can now get on the Smart TVs anyway.

I'm NOT considering getting and a superbly large Tv (probably only 40" again, but possibly smaller tbh), and as a result will not really leverage 4K on the Apple Tv... but i do like the idea of being able to look at the catalogue on my phone, and then push it to the Tv, also it's quite slick..

I can do my own research on specific TVs, but just after some thoughts on a best-fit 'simple set-up' for a couple that only really watch live tv, and on-demand stuff (iPlayer, All4, Netflix, NowTv, Etc.)... no sports or films regularly really either - just stick with a Smart Tv?

We are based in the UK.

Cheers!

Yes, go Apple TV, especially if you have an iPhone. Dead simple to setup, use, and is quite fast. Built-in smart TV features are more often than not turds, or they will be in the near future as the manufacturers stop updating them.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's the lack of updating of the Smart Tv apps that worries me, i assume that it's the channel/service that supplies them to the store... and each Tv manufacturer has their own store? Or do they use the Android Play Store?

Is there currently a manufacturer (Samsung?) that has the 'best' array of Smart Tv Apps?

Anyway, do you think i should wait until the announcement at the end of the month, or just get a 5th gen box now? 🙄

5 minutes ago, BGM said:

Yeah, it's the lack of updating of the Smart Tv apps that worries me, i assume that it's the channel/service that supplies them to the store... and each Tv manufacturer has their own store? Or do they use the Android Play Store?

Is there currently a manufacturer (Samsung?) that has the 'best' array of Smart Tv Apps?

Anyway, do you think i should wait until the announcement at the end of the month, or just get a 5th gen box now? 🙄

Not sure regarding the updates, the only ones coming from the Android store are Android TVs. Those in themselves have their own quirks, as the TV never shuts off, but instead goes to standby. Which means there will be times that you need to completely restart your TV, and just like an Android phone, they don't boot the fastest. I would say that if you went the smart TV route for apps, you probably should consider an Android TV for longevity in updates (it pulls straight from the google play store). Also, thats a judgement call on waiting, the end of the month isn't too far away ;)

Also, Apple TVs are the only streaming boxes I have found that can handle a gigabit internet connection, and includes smart TVs themselves. The Apple TV remote is infuriating, but it just so happens that my Sony TV remote can control the Apple TV too (I am guessing via HDMI-CEC). Or you can download an app and use the iPhone as a remote.

13 hours ago, Human.Online said:

I have a 2019 model LG smart TV.  I also have an Apple TV box.  I always prefer the use of the AppleTV box.  

this pretty much just sold it for me 🤣

• Like 1

Yeah I'd second a few opinions over here. I'd go with a specific device for your smart TV needs over the built in apps. 

We have a Fire TV stick and despite being one of the earlier versions, it's way better than the build in apps. 

Also Mytchett, you're the second member here that I've seen in recent months that lives close by....we should have a Neowin meet up :D

2 hours ago, dipsylalapo said:

Yeah I'd second a few opinions over here. I'd go with a specific device for your smart TV needs over the built in apps. 

We have a Fire TV stick and despite being one of the earlier versions, it's way better than the build in apps. 

Also Mytchett, you're the second member here that I've seen in recent months that lives close by....we should have a Neowin meet up :D

Well, i'm about to move away, so best be quick about it! :D:D

Thanks for the input guys!

• Like 1

I will say, hold fire on buying an AppleTV.  With Apple opening their DRM (and services) up to third parties as well as their TV subscription offering coming soon, I'd not be surprised to see a slight hardware change.

But absolutely go for the 4K box!

10 minutes ago, Human.Online said:

I will say, hold fire on buying an AppleTV.  With Apple opening their DRM (and services) up to third parties as well as their TV subscription offering coming soon, I'd not be surprised to see a slight hardware change.

But absolutely go for the 4K box!

If new hardware doesn't come at the event the end of this month (25th ?), i will jump on a 4K box.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Not sure regarding the updates, the only ones coming from the Android store are Android TVs. Those in themselves have their own quirks, as the TV never shuts off, but instead goes to standby. Which means there will be times that you need to completely restart your TV, and just like an Android phone, they don't boot the fastest. I would say that if you went the smart TV route for apps, you probably should consider an Android TV for longevity in updates (it pulls straight from the google play store). Also, thats a judgement call on waiting, the end of the month isn't too far away ;)

Also, Apple TVs are the only streaming boxes I have found that can handle a gigabit internet connection, and includes smart TVs themselves. The Apple TV remote is infuriating, but it just so happens that my Sony TV remote can control the Apple TV too (I am guessing via HDMI-CEC). Or you can download an app and use the iPhone as a remote.

Android TVs also have crappy update cycles.  My late 2016 Sony (which was 2nd highest in the range at the time) isn't getting updates anymore (stopped in mid 2018).

My personal view - buy an external box, whether this is Apple TV or Amazon FireTV and use the smart features there.  At least you can replace the box without the cost of replacing the whole TV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

Android TVs also have crappy update cycles.  My late 2016 Sony (which was 2nd highest in the range at the time) isn't getting updates anymore (stopped in mid 2018).

My personal view - buy an external box, whether this is Apple TV or Amazon FireTV and use the smart features there.  At least you can replace the box without the cost of replacing the whole TV.

That just fits in with the update policy for Android devices :D

2 hours ago, Fahim S. said:

Your apps are getting regular updates, which is what I was discussing. For smart TVs that don’t have the play store, you are at the mercy of their own store updates or firmware updates, both of which aren’t as frequent as the play store. 

• Like 1

If you're already invested in the Apple ecosystem then an Apple TV will work well for you; otherwise I'd recommend going with a FireTV Stick 4K.

I'm running one in my bedroom and it works great; the only missing 'native' app is YouTube but launchers in the app store cover that; they launch Youtube.com/tv in the default browser and enable alexa/media key support.

While Amazon DOES lock it down a bit it still feels like a much more open/modifiable system compared to the Apple TV

though I will admit my perception may be skewed as I haven't messed with Apple TVs since Gen 2 and I had that very jailbroken.

20 hours ago, BGM said:

There are smart TVs with Roku or FireTV built right into them; if you want to go the Smart TV route again I'd recommend looking for one of these.

The TV OEMs don't know how to keep support going for their own Smart solutions so those built with Roku or FireTV are easily the better option there if you want it built into the TV

edit: here's an amazon search for both:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tv+with+roku&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=tv+with+Fire+tv&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

edit2: you said your in the UK though; I can't seem to locate either model on the UK amazon store :/ maybe you could get them directly from the OEMs though; Toshiba and Insignia seem to have the Fire TV models and TCL seem to do the Roku TVs

3 hours ago, BGM said:

If new hardware doesn't come at the event the end of this month (25th ?), i will jump on a 4K box.

Also get an OLED I did and the difference is worth the cost, especially if you plan to keep it for a long time (like your current one).

23 hours ago, BGM said:

word of advice, even if your TV isn't 4K capable it's generally better to shoot for the 4K capable Roku/AppleTV/AndroidTV/FireTV as the 4K versions tend to have a much better SoC resulting in a smoother experience :)

I have an LG smart TV, and I just use the built-in apps. If the time comes when LG stop supporting them, then I'll buy an extra device at that point for my smart-apps needs. No point having a TV that supports every thing I need, and then buying a second device at the same time to do what the TV already can.

Agree with Dave, my 40" 1080p Samsung HD TV upstairs in my bedroom is a model from 2014 and is no longer updated or supported, but it is hooked up to an Xbox One S so I still got my Netflix, Plex, other apps etc :) 

I always choose external device over SMART TV apps.  better performance and supported longer.

FireTV fan here.  I like Roku, also.  If you already have Apple stuff, AppleTV is probably best best.  I have a FireTV Cube and several FireTV sticks around the house.  

23 hours ago, farmeunit said:

I always choose external device over SMART TV apps.  better performance and supported longer.

FireTV fan here.  I like Roku, also.  If you already have Apple stuff, AppleTV is probably best best.  I have a FireTV Cube and several FireTV sticks around the house.  

I am with you on this one.  If I could buy a panel only (even with no speakers) then that is what I would do.

On 3/4/2019 at 2:27 PM, adrynalyne said:

Your apps are getting regular updates, which is what I was discussing. For smart TVs that don’t have the play store, you are at the mercy of their own store updates or firmware updates, both of which aren’t as frequent as the play store. 

And I didn't argue with your point at all.  Just made a related one.

8 minutes ago, Fahim S. said:

I am with you on this one.  If I could buy a panel only (even with no speakers) then that is what I would do.

And I didn't argue with your point at all.  Just made a related one.

Nor did I argue your point. So why are you arguing my reply to you LOL. 

Whatever you do, don't get a fire stick. Family has two of them and constantly have clear Netflix's app cache, reinstall as it'll error out on launch. It's just a generally disappointing OS.

AppleTV probably your best bet if you're in Apple Ecosystem, they're also by far the best hardware and smoothest operating devices. Even the older models still work good. Their new remote sucks though, touched based navi is never better than physical arrows imo. It's one of the reasons our main TV uses Roku.