Nest Thermostat Install

I live in a house that is built into the shell of an old factory.  It has a district heating system, which means we have a raft of boilers in the basement, which throw out heat to our own home units - I think this information is unnecessary but hey.

So, in my house I have a timer in the utility room that really doesn't do that much.  Say I set it to ON at 8am and OFF at 10am - all it does is supply power to thermostats on the wall, which in-turn send the message to the system to throw hot water to my radiators.  So like I say, all the timer is doing is powering the thermostats.  Once a thermostat reaches temperature it obviously shuts the heating off.

My thermostats have 3 wires coming in, into terminals labelled L, N, 2 - they are RET1000 MS - the third diagram at the bottom of this PDF: https://assets.danfoss.com/documents/DOC172686403785/DOC172686403785.pdf

The way I understand it the 3 wires are Live/Neutral for the power and 2 = "On" to the pump.  If I set my timer control to be "On" 24/7, that doesn't mean the heating is on 24/7, only that the thermostat receives power 24/7 and can then control the temperature as it should.

So, I want to get myself a Nest and install it.  But my issue is literally as simple as this:

When I go to the nest site and it says "What cables do you have coming in", the list shown doesn't tally with the cables I have.  I am still 99% sure Nest will work but...

Any help?  Thanks

• Like 1

I highly doubt the Nest will work, afaik the nest only works for Forced air.

• Like 1

That's not correct.  My mother has Nest and does not have a forced air system, she has a boiler system that turns on and off as per a normal thermometer.

My question is more about the wires.

But thanks :)

I've installed exactly three thermostats (including one Nest) in my life ... but zero in the UK.

With that said ...

Have you read this?

https://nest.com/support/images/misc-nest-thermostat-eu/gen3-install/3rd-gen-Nest-Learning-Thermostat-Install-Guide-UK.pdf

It appears you need a Nest with Heat Link.  

"Remove the Heat Link cover and connect the L (live) and N (neutral) terminals on the Heat Link to the L and N circuit on the boiler or junction box. This will power the Heat Link. Connect the heating control circuit to the Heat Link 1 (normally closed/satisfied), 2 (common), 3 (normally open/call-for-heat) as needed."

etc. etc.

Also,

https://nest.com/uk/support/article/What-is-Heat-Link

May help clear up things.

• Thanks 1

So...

It seems that this is EXACTLY what I need - it maps to EU/UK common connections.  Digging further down the rabbit hole, it seems that competitor Tado is already setup for UK connections and has Homekit functionality.

We have a Tado system. Tado seems to have better functionality, they have TRVs!

But I love the look of the Nest. Keep us posted on what you decide :) 

• Like 1

+1 for Tado, we have an on-demand Ideal Logic+ combi boiler. We have a wireless bridge on the router, and the extension kit on the boiler and the wireless thermostat downstairs floating between rooms. No TRV's though, as they're ££! One of us fellow Tado users can give you referral code for discount in the Tado Store. It's not much, but every little helps.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, spikey_richie said:

+1 for Tado, we have an on-demand Ideal Logic+ combi boiler. We have a wireless bridge on the router, and the extension kit on the boiler and the wireless thermostat downstairs floating between rooms. No TRV's though, as they're ££! One of us fellow Tado users can give you referral code for discount in the Tado Store. It's not much, but every little helps.

I held out buying TRVs because of the price. Last year on Prime Day, they had a start kit with two TRVs for just over £100. The starter kit cam be with the new bridge, which my wife sold on eBay for £50. Didn't work out too expensive in the end.

We need something like 9 of them, excluding towel rails. I can't justify that. I might buy a couple if they come up on offer again, just to try them out. The existing TRV's we have are fairly new anyway, so there's no real need to replace them; yet. I'm also unsure how they'll play with Google Home, I guess I can assign them to a heating zone then create a new room on Home and bind them. I want to say something like "Hey Google, turn the heating down in the lounge" but leave the other rads set by the thermostat. 

16 minutes ago, spikey_richie said:

We need something like 9 of them, excluding towel rails. I can't justify that. I might buy a couple if they come up on offer again, just to try them out. The existing TRV's we have are fairly new anyway, so there's no real need to replace them; yet. I'm also unsure how they'll play with Google Home, I guess I can assign them to a heating zone then create a new room on Home and bind them. I want to say something like "Hey Google, turn the heating down in the lounge" but leave the other rads set by the thermostat. 

To be honest, we're having work done in the house so haven't had a chance to install them :(

We only bought a two for the main bedrooms upstairs. We live in a mid-terrace so it's always so hot upstairs compared to the rest of the house. 

L/N/2? Is this a line voltage thermostat? if so I dont think nest supports those with their standard thermostat, they only support 24v ones i think

1 hour ago, spikey_richie said:

One of us fellow Tado users can give you referral code for discount in the Tado Store.

Happy to use it if you have one.

11 minutes ago, neufuse said:

L/N/2? Is this a line voltage thermostat? if so I dont think nest supports those with their standard thermostat, they only support 24v ones i think

I think it is a UK thing ... Nest appears to support his setup/wiring with a "Heat Link" thingymabob.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim K said:

I think it is a UK thing ... Nest appears to support his setup/wiring with a "Heat Link" thingymabob.

Absolutely correct