Ubiquiti

So i started replacing my home Network Hardware with Ubiiquiti after reading loads of good things on sites and on here from Budman

I replaced my old router iw as using in AP mode with a UniFi AP-AC-LR to start with and loved it.

I then thought lets get rid of the wifi on the ISP crap router altogether so i got another UniFi AP-AC-LR and turn off the wifi on the ISP router

I then started to think lets get rid of that all together, i still had a Fibre Modem lying about so i have just ordered a Unifi Security Gateway to replace that

Now network wise in the house apart from the Ubitquiti stiff i also have a 8 port unmanaged Switch, a 5 port unmanaged switch and a 16 port Managed Switch

image.thumb.png.baea34838e6ef730ac0e4c8693da938f.png

Is this enough to create a separate networks? one for my internal trusted stuff and one for Guests and IOT stuff/Smart Stuff or would the two unmanaged switches need to be managed?

Thanks

As long as all the devices connected to the dumb switches are in the same vlan your fine..

Off your USG connect the managed switch, if your going to want to use different ssid on different vlans you will want your AP connected into your smart switch.. But you can use the dumb switches as more ports all in the same vlan..

Then again 8 port smart switches are not that expensive... Just stay away from the tplink... They don't quite understand the point of vlans is removing ports from vlan 1 ;)

Didn't want to pull the trigger on the nano-HD model? ;)

https://unifi-nanohd.ui.com/

Should of let us know you were thinking of usg.. I have one sitting on my shelf trying to get rid of.. Given you good neowin discount for sure.  While its a nice product for the price point, it doesn't compare to my pfsense box for features and ease of use.

20 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Just stay away from the tplink... They don't quite understand the point of vlans is removing ports from vlan 1 ;)

I can second that... tplink switches that I was playing with at college couldn't do ###### with vlans...

The Nano do look nice but the AP i have right now are amazing compared to the crap i had before

I have been reading for months about the USG and considering it and finally pulled the trigger the other day :)

The plan is to replace the 5 port and 8 port switches with Managed ones, was just the dumbs ones i had for now that i have had for years before i got more into the networky side

I will surely give you guys a call when i  come to do that for some recommendations

The Managed switch i have just now is a TP-Link TL-SG1016DE i got it from work when they brought in some new kit from a new supplier. would i be better to replace that too?

image.thumb.png.adbf23653d5f20a8bdb1b99fa7316791.png

Yeah to be honest replace that ###### as well..

I have cisco sg300 that I love!!!  I have a 28 Port and a 10 port models.. If was in the market right now I would get the sg350 line from cisco..

But if you can remove ports from vlan 1 it might be fine, but was reading elsewhere on that model some issues with multicast bleed over, etc.  If me would get something else - they just don't see to get how vlans are suppose to work ;)

You might look at the dlink DGS-1100 series..

Or if your going full unifi - they do have switches that do vlans ;)

Dude I see the sg350-28 for $179  yeah I would snatch that puppy up at that price!

https://www.amazon.com/Cisco-Sg350-28-28-Port-Gigabit-Managed-x/dp/B01HYA38CA

Cool ty for that

so i am thinking this

VLAN 1

(all my trusted devices)

Haggis Wifi

VLAN2

Haggis-Guest Wifi

Hue Hub

3 Echo Dots (Wifi)

Smart PLugs (Wifi)

All my guests to my home will also connect to this wifi too

Does that make sense?

That would be  start sure.. You can always segment it more if desire to isolate specific types of devices from other devices.  For example your echo's from your guest network, etc.