HP G72-259WM Resurrection

I got this several-year old laptop given to me by a social worker at school just before my Graduation, and It's seemed to have had a rough several years, so I'm looking to upgrade it and maybe repurpose it for College or something. However, except for Memory and SSD upgrades, I can't find much more upgrades on it, so I figured I'd ask the wonderful little folks here on the Neowin forums, who've helped me out a few times before to see just how far I can upgrade this thing and if it would be a worthy investment.

Right off the bat, I can see that the hard drive is showing signs of impending doom. Attempting to check the hard disk in the BIOS causes it to completely stall near the end of the check, forcing me to shut the system off. The same thing also happened when I used DBAN to attempt a complete wipe of the disk, so I know I'll be needing to replace the hard drive eventually. Second of all, the battery also appears to be dying out. The 47Wh 10.8v battery only lasts less than an hour on a full charge and regular settings, and only approximately 20 minutes on a full charge when the brightness is at max, so I can tell that that's going to need to be replaced sometime soon. Third, the cooling fan seems to be really stressing itself. Sometimes the fan fails to spin at proper speeds I'm guessing due to a bunch of gunk, and when it does work, it's forced to run at apparently max speed. (It does sound pretty loud in person.)

However, I'm curious to see if the CPU is upgradable or if anything else is besides the things that I have mentioned. But without further to do, here are the CPU-Z specs of the system.

Spec1.thumb.PNG.7df33ac19390a89b3c03f146a5e9baf7.PNGSpec2.thumb.PNG.0368a2dc1a29a3cdb02f47f5f684ace6.PNGSpec3.thumb.PNG.78dc94584c77f01effd461c38b7eb443.PNGSpec4.thumb.PNG.db24fc2c30569d68341e50a5e484c075.PNGSpec5.thumb.PNG.18faa49e7405851fca3f309fb38dd57f.PNGSpec6.thumb.PNG.741035cbd0c216a9d597dab552654aac.PNGSpec7.thumb.PNG.f56d17f0910e037698b3ef28110e8c4b.PNG

So, anybody know where I can find full upgrade information on this thingy?

In a laptop? I'd highly doubt the CPU can be replaced. MOST laptops solder on the CPU.

You can replace the RAM and SSD/HDD. You could replace the wireless card if needed.

There's not really anything you can do...

• Facepalm 2

1 minute ago, Mindovermaster said:

In a laptop? I'd highly doubt the CPU can be replaced. MOST laptops solder on the CPU.

You can replace the RAM and SSD/HDD. You could replace the wireless card if needed.

This computer came out well before soldering the CPU on was the norm. This one is not soldered on and is upgrade-able, however OP's unit already has the highest support CPU installed.

2 minutes ago, Circaflex said:

This computer came out well before soldering the CPU on was the norm.

Umm, wasn't the old Gateway laptops have the CPU soldered? IIRC, they did... Was years ago, so I could be wrong here...

• Facepalm 2

52 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

48 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

Umm, wasn't the old Gateway laptops have the CPU soldered? IIRC, they did... Was years ago, so I could be wrong here...

Seriously man....if you can't be bothered to do research before replying when unsure, you have no business giving technical advice. Especially since this is not a Gateway.

http://www.insidemylaptop.com/disassemble-hp-g72-and-compaq-presario-cq72-laptop/

Doesn't look soldered to me. Does it to you????

You were even linked a post that linked the service manual for it discussing replacing the CPU and what was supported....

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02641840

• Like 2

8 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

Seriously man....if you can't be bothered to do research before replying when unsure, you have no business giving technical advice. Especially since this is not a Gateway. 

I didn't say Gateway was his laptop. That was just a suggestion....

8 hours ago, adrynalyne said:

You were even linked a post that linked the service manual for it discussing replacing the CPU and what was supported....

Umm... I was never given that link...

EVERYONE can be wrong. Don't call me a ******* that I do not know anything.

17 minutes ago, Mindovermaster said:

I didn't say Gateway was his laptop. That was just a suggestion....

Umm... I was never given that link...

EVERYONE can be wrong. Don't call me a ******* that I do not know anything.

One of those was in the link you chose not to click. That YOU even quoted. I didn’t call you anything, but you are a danger to others when you can’t be bothered to be informed before giving advice (even worse you argued it when corrected!). People are coming to you for help, and are not going to provide you links to learn what you are talking about before hand. That’s your job. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, adrynalyne said:

It was in the link you chose not to click. That YOU even quoted. I didn’t call you anything, but you are a danger to others when you can’t be bothered to be informed before giving advice. 

So, we all have to be spot on at all times now? Give me a break.

What i origonally said was actually true... In a way.

We can fight until we die, but everyone is at a fault one way or another. I'm close to you in posts. I know a few things. Everything? No...

• Facepalm 2

Post count is not reflective of knowledge. My suggestion would be, if you are unsure about something, research before hand. Providing technical answers by way of guessing is not how you should go about it. That’s how incorrect information is spread. Take this as a learning lesson. 

• Like 2

//The CPU question has been answered.  Let's knock off the back and forth.//

Best you really can do is the SSD/Memory/new battery (which is only about 25-50 bucks) .  Regarding your fan issue... you could remove the Fan/heat sink assembly ... clean out the fan, remove the old thermal paste and apply a fresh coating.  Maybe that will resolve the issue.  The fan itself appears to be about 10 bucks on sites like Amazon.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Isn't the point of a technical forum to have a discussion? That's all that was happening, no one was breaking any rules, merely correcting any misinformation from spreading. If you continue to allow incorrect information to be posted without any sort of discussion, you lose the ability to have a recognized tech forum. 

22 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Isn't the point of a technical forum to have a discussion? That's all that was happening, no one was breaking any rules, merely correcting any misinformation from spreading. If you continue to allow incorrect information to be posted without any sort of discussion, you lose the ability to have a recognized tech forum. 

You are correct about discussions, but it is also a Moderator's job to Moderate!

From the context, he was just trying to cool things down, not prevent a technical discussion.

That being said, I commend you for articulating a creed and standard that promotes excellence at Neowin and it is always worthwhile to affirm what everyone hopes to achieve.

On 3/24/2019 at 12:31 AM, WTHRZ said:

so I'm looking to upgrade it and maybe repurpose it for College or something

If you could provide your objectives that would help us make suggestions.

If you might use it for College, what subject would you be studying and how to you see the laptop being used?

The Pentium T4500 is a Core 2 series CPU at 2.3 ghz with 2 cores and a 800 mhz FSB, and a small 1 meg L2 cache.

A T9500 from the top of the tested list (see below) runs at 2.6 ghz with 2 cores, 800 Mhz FSB and 6 meg L2 cache, along with Virtualization and Turbo Boost.

It is mildly useful upgrade but only if you can find the CPU dirt cheap since 2.3 to 2.6 will be noticed nicely but not hugely.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-this-processor-compatible-with-laptop.1763838/

Thank you very much for your response eatmypie. I have ordered an Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 as intended, and have received it today. I've replaced my current processor with it, and it the Core 2 Duo works perfectly, with no setup required (just plug and play).

For anyone else on the same chipset (GL40) looking for upgrades, it does not matter if the CPU you desire to upgrade to is not listed on your laptop's CPU support list. However, if it's a Socket P processor with 800MHz FSB (not higher), then it will work with your GL40 chipset. Here's a quote, by Drev9 from CPU-Upgrade.

The GL40 chipset will support Any Socket P CPU with a max of 800Mhz FSB. I have owned multiple Toshiba Satellite L355's, and have installed upwards of a T9500 and T9300 successfully. These all work:

T9500
T9300
T7800
T7700
T7500
T7300
T7100
T6500
T6400
T5800
T5750
T5550
T4200

There are plenty more, but I have tried all of these successfully in a GL40 chipset motherboard. As long as you are running socket P, and do not exceed 800Mhz FSB, it will work.

I can vouch for Drev9, my CPU also worked on the GL40 chipset; even though it's not listed on the CPU support list on my laptop's manual (which should have been, as the T9300 was released 2 years before my laptop was purchased as new).

23 hours ago, Jim K said:

Actually, the CPU question was NOT answered. (See my post on the subject.)

But that "back and forth" certainly needed some cooldown!

WARNING: I am just thinking out loud in this post and speculating. I have done something similar to this in the past but with a desktop CPU so all sorts of factors include mobo PSU handling 45 Watts instead of 35 Watts, BIOS issues, pinout variations would all need to be researched VERY carefully.

Also, even though ancient, there is a "collectable" aspect to a QX9300 that may never yield a decent used price...

Ultimate Hack:

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Core_2/Intel-Core 2 Extreme Mobile QX9300 AW80581ZH061003.html

The fastest Core 2 Mobile CPU ever made was the QX9300 which runs at 2.53 Ghz with 4 cores!

It uses a 1066 FSB but it might auto adjust to 800 FSB with a reduction in clock speed to 1.9 Ghz which sucks compared to 2.6 GHZ BUT you would get 2 extra cores...

Even though it is an "Extreme" series, the multiplier is locked.

But there is apparently a software method to get around that (only for Extreme):

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/how-to-unlock-the-core-2-extreme-multiplier-in-windows.489140/

So, if the multiplier can bump the CPU back to 2.53 ghz, then you have a POWERHOUSE CPU similar to a i7-920XM

https://technical.city/en/cpu/Core-2-Extreme-QX9300-vs-Core-i7-920XM

On 3/24/2019 at 12:35 AM, Circaflex said:

That unit supports Socket P processors, the GL40 chipset is an indicator on this unit that the most power cpu is already installed. You can upgrade to 4GB of ram. https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/G72-259wm-CPU-Upgrade/td-p/5193749

Actually, it is possible to source a 4 GB DDR2 SO-DIMM

Which permits 8 gigs of RAM in some cases, but since the 4 GB modules arrived late in the cycle, there tends to be BIOS conflicts.

Almost always, while 8 gigs might work, 6 gigs always works. Thats a 4 GB module and a 2 GB module.

2 hours ago, DevTech said:

If you could provide your objectives that would help us make suggestions.

If you might use it for College, what subject would you be studying and how to you see the laptop being used?

The Pentium T4500 is a Core 2 series CPU at 2.3 ghz with 2 cores and a 800 mhz FSB, and a small 1 meg L2 cache.

A T9500 from the top of the tested list (see below) runs at 2.6 ghz with 2 cores, 800 Mhz FSB and 6 meg L2 cache, along with Virtualization and Turbo Boost.

It is mildly useful upgrade but only if you can find the CPU dirt cheap since 2.3 to 2.6 will be noticed nicely but not hugely.

https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-this-processor-compatible-with-laptop.1763838/

So, for this T9500 CPU, what would classify as "Dirt Cheap"? So far I've found them "refurbished" for $30 plus shipping.

4 hours ago, WTHRZ said:

So, for this T9500 CPU, what would classify as "Dirt Cheap"? So far I've found them "refurbished" for $30 plus shipping.

1. You skipped the part on objectives

2. You should also describe your tech background and available budget

3. The #1 valuable upgrade will be a SSD, for which the Samsung 860 EVO (or PRO) 512 gig or 1 TB would be a good choice. That is a component that can be moved to other computers later on and will stand the test of time. (Do NOT buy any QLC based SSDs for a year or two until the stats shake out on that)

4. The next best upgrade (free) is to Windows 10 for which you should download a utility to see if it will install OK. 

Windows 10 is more efficient, so it will improve the Laptop almost as much as a hardware upgrade.

5. Then you could see if it takes a 4 GB SODIMM in one slot to get you 6 GB

6. Up to this point, the road has been easy. Opening a Laptop and disassembling it enough to remove the heat pipe assembly to replace the CPU will require far more skill and patience.

I used the word "Dirt Cheap" as a subjective measure of the value of upgrading the CPU from an already strong T4500 to get 50% maybe boost VS the cost of the CPU plus the cost of heatsink compound plus the cost of any tools needed plus the risk of damage.

Only YOU know what the value of any dollar amount is to YOU. In general, $30 seems decent if the shipping doesn't exceed $5....

---------------------------------------

And the word "Refurbished" applied to a CPU chip is a LOL moment! Do they open the Heat Spreader and Sand Blast the Silicon inside? :)