Temporarily change Java paths?

Question

Context- I am trying to run Eclipse using a different Java install than the rest of my stuff; my work PC was saddled with the 32 bit version of the JRE, and before I ask favors of our overloaded desktop guys (we have a great bunch of guys handling desktop and I don't want to put pressure on that positive relationship), I am hoping to find a workaround on my own. Keep in mind that while my work is technical, it is NOT on Windows machines and I am not a Java guy, so I am not sure about this. I am on a machine without local admin rights (our company has stringent rules because we deal in health insurance and pharmaceuticals) so they lock us down moderately tightly. 

Because of the restrictions, I want to replace the Java path in the %path% environment variables from the Oracle one to a JVM that is a "portable" one. It is 64 bits, which will make Eclipse happy. I'm using a.CMD file to set the path for that session, but I se it and the system-supplied path comes back in its place.

This is what I try to change to:

setx  JAVA_HOME "C:\local\Downloads\Portable\PortableApps\CommonFiles\JDK"
setx  JRE_HOME "C:\local\Downloads\Portable\PortableApps\CommonFiles\JAVA64"
setx /U path "C:\local\Downloads\Portable\PortableApps\CommonFiles\JAVA64\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\iCLS\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\iCLS\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Windows\CCM;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sennheiser\SoftphoneSDK\;c:\Program Files (x86)\WebEx\Productivity Tools;C:\Users\d1b4211\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;"

But this is what the %path% is afterward:

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Oracle\Java\javapath;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\iCLS\;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\iCLS\;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Windows\CCM;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH\;C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Sennheiser\SoftphoneSDK\;c:\Program Files (x86)\WebEx\Productivity Tools;C:\Users\d1b4211\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;

I tried both SET and SETX and neither works. I KNOW I am missing something obvious, but just don't know what.

3 answers to this question

I have a couple thoughts you could test out.

you could create a batch file to launch Eclipse with the correct version every time:

"path to javaw.exe" -jar "filename.jar"

or you could try the portable java launcher from portableapps.com

https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable

https://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/java_portable_launcher

I had tried that and it didn't work; however, I found that in eclipse.ini I could specify where to look for java, so it's all good after that change late this morning.