Yellow jacket nest

Hi,

Last year I had a yellow jacket nest under my shed. Will it still be there when summer times arrives? If yes, what is the best / safest way to remove it while it is still cold enough before the warmer weather arrives?

thx

Depends...they hibernate in the winter but the nest probably won't survive if subjected to freezing temps.  In other words...it depends.

Napalm is usually the recommended method of ridding yourself of them (like spiders)

• Like 1

Just call your local pest control? Describe the situation to them and they'll either come out and remove it for you or give you tips on how to do it yourself.

7 minutes ago, Jim K said:

Depends...they hibernate in the winter but the nest probably won't survive if subjected to freezing temps.  In other words...it depends.

Napalm is usually the recommended method of ridding yourself of them (like spiders)

Trying to douse a wasp nest in napalm that is under a shed sounds like a risky proposition to me.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

what is the best...

Napa.....

26 minutes ago, Bruinator said:

...safest...

Oh.. Call a guy.

We have a lot of paper wasps, mud daubers and yellow jackets. These are all incredibly important insects to the local ecosystem so we only eradicate them if they pose an imminent threat.  In the last 10 or 11 years, we've only had to destroy one nest (they built it on the door frame).  Since the nest was easily accessible and visible, it was easy to eradicate. Right now we have 5 or 6 nests out there around the house being built - none on a door frame this year!

Simple, don't remove them if they don't pose a big threat. People should learn to cohabitate with nature again, especially with insects, which are vital to many ecosystems. If an appeal to ecological sense doesn't appeal to you, wasps are very efficient mosquito killing machines ;) 

12 minutes ago, XerXis said:

Simple, don't remove them if they don't pose a big threat. People should learn to cohabitate with nature again, especially with insects, which are vital to many ecosystems. If an appeal to ecological sense doesn't appeal to you, wasps are very efficient mosquito killing machines ;) 

Agreed but i was stung last yr and it isnt gonna happen again !!!!