Question about installing batteries on a bike light

This may seem odd (even for me :)) but I have a rear red light that I use on my bike which uses 2 CR2032 batteries. It quit working so I assumed it was the batteries that were dead, so I have replacements, but I do not know which way they install! The bottom of the light housing has a spring on it, and the top simply has a metal conductor, which way do I install the batteries? Positive to the spring or the other way around?

I would put negative to the spring. Did you look at the inside of the battery compartment and on the top/bottom for a small + or - battery symbol? You won't damage it by trying one way then the other.

I just checked my rear bike LED but apparently its rechargeable via USB. Thanks to you, it's now charging :)

26 minutes ago, Chsoriano said:

I would put negative to the spring. Did you look at the inside of the battery compartment and on the top/bottom for a small + or - battery symbol? You won't damage it by trying one way then the other.

I just checked my rear bike LED but apparently its rechargeable via USB. Thanks to you, it's now charging :)

Yes I looked with a flashlight, nothing printed showing me what direction to install the batteries.

I have another one that is solar powered (Florida - lots of sun!), and you're welcome! :p

23 minutes ago, Jim K said:

The smooth side (+) will face up. The (-) side touching the "spring"

Edit: ninja'd :)

Thanks both of you, I had my description backwards (of course!) the spring is in the light housing, the switch part has the metal, so I will try that, but the problem I am having is getting it to screw back together, it wants to be a PITA! It turned out that there is a thin metal piece that holds the first battery down so that the second one can go on top, it was slightly bent up, so I simply pressed it back into place and it screwed together and lit up! Again a big thanks to both of you for the reply!

Just curious - why would you not have seen how the original batteries were placed?  Did someone else take it apart?

4 minutes ago, BudMan said:

Just curious - why would you not have seen how the original batteries were placed?  Did someone else take it apart?

When I took it apart, it was still dark in the morning! I simply set it aside to 'work on later' :D

11 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Yes I looked with a flashlight, nothing printed showing me what direction to install the batteries.

I have another one that is solar powered (Florida - lots of sun!), and you're welcome! :p

Thanks both of you, I had my description backwards (of course!) the spring is in the light housing, the switch part has the metal, so I will try that, but the problem I am having is getting it to screw back together, it wants to be a PITA! It turned out that there is a thin metal piece that holds the first battery down so that the second one can go on top, it was slightly bent up, so I simply pressed it back into place and it screwed together and lit up! Again a big thanks to both of you for the reply!

Lots of sun and humidity too. This is about the only time of year you can ride a bike there, isn't it? Otherwise, you totally fry your mind down there in summer! LOL

I almost hated the 3 years I spent in Georgia in the Army just because of the heat and humidity. To miserable to do anything outside. Then there was the sudden, pop up monsoons!! Don't forget the cockroaches either. Never knew those things could get so big!!

9 minutes ago, cork1958 said:

Lots of sun and humidity too. This is about the only time of year you can ride a bike there, isn't it? Otherwise, you totally fry your mind down there in summer! LOL

I almost hated the 3 years I spent in Georgia in the Army just because of the heat and humidity. To miserable to do anything outside. Then there was the sudden, pop up monsoons!! Don't forget the cockroaches either. Never knew those things could get so big!!

Yup! Welcome to Florida!