• Sign in to Neowin Faster!

    Create an account on Neowin to contribute and support the site.

Sign in to follow this  

Looking to replace my monitor soon, are BenQ's good?

Recommended Posts

DevTech    1,517
3 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Sweet, dude! Well, if you don't like it, you can always refund it :)

 

Sweet?

 

A TN Panel in 2019???

 

If it had a taste, it would be sour and full of dead things, not sweet! If it had a smell, it would be foul and rotting and full of sulfur from the depths of Hell where apparently TN panels are still kept in inventory for torturing and punishing people who refuse to read tech specs...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517
17 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Thanks for the list @DevTech I really like the LG, and for the price it seems like a good choice, I am torn between the LG 27UL500 and the BenQ, obviously the price difference between the LG and BenQ is a fair amount, but I agree with you about the monitor being a worthy investment!

I am still unsure about the LG 27UL500 because I could not confirm it has a 10 bit Panel which I consider a minimum requirement in 2019.

 

Of course, it is still light years beyond anything with a TN Panel. I really really can't believe that in 2019 I still have to caution people against the evils of TN Panels.

 

I might as well include a disclaimer in every post about how unreliable Floppy Disk Drives are for Data Retention. How about cup holders? whoops, I mean CD Drives? What about U.S. Robotics MODEMS? Stick with 9600 Baud or upgrade to 19K?

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,359
11 hours ago, DevTech said:

Sweet?

 

A TN Panel in 2019???

 

If it had a taste, it would be sour and full of dead things, not sweet! If it had a smell, it would be foul and rotting and full of sulfur from the depths of Hell where apparently TN panels are still kept in inventory for torturing and punishing people who refuse to read tech specs...

 

 

As long as he is happy, I'm happy, everyone is happy. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    12,059

@DevTech, since you seem to have an issue with everything that I buy, how about I buy this? (ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" Gaming Monitor 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync with Eye Care) Also I do not care what panel is in the monitor, I am playing games, not doing photo editing, or anything else that requires real world color.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517
26 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

@DevTech, since you seem to have an issue with everything that I buy, how about I buy this? (ASUS ROG Swift PG27UQ 27" Gaming Monitor 4K UHD 144Hz DP HDMI G-SYNC HDR Aura Sync with Eye Care) Also I do not care what panel is in the monitor, I am playing games, not doing photo editing, or anything else that requires real world color.

Huh? You just went from JUNK to PERFECTION!

 

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-PG27UQ-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07F1VGGLK?pldnSite=1

 

That is an absolutely PERFECT accurate 10 bit  Quantum Dot IPS LCD Panel which has Gaming features and 144 HZ GSYNC.

 

Nothing wrong with that monitor at all. Your EYEBALLS will love you for buying it. That monitor delivers real world color in spades which when you think about it will also really enhance the lasted games that support HDR and PBR based render paths.

 

The only thing to watch out for is the insane Bandwidth requirements at 4K once you get past 60 HZ which requires VERY CAREFUL attention to settings, CABLE CHOICE and of course GPU.

 

I'm not sure which games do PBR but with 4K to work with, you can always run at 1/2 that resolution to allow the video card and cabling to push HDR color at higher refresh for an awesome visual experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517

It's not easy to figure out which games are going to pop out at your eyeballs with a good HDR monitor and it depends on how the Game Engine is coded as well as the GPU, but this list is one set of possibilities:

 

https://www.allegorithmic.com/games

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    12,059
20 minutes ago, DevTech said:

Huh? You just went from JUNK to PERFECTION!

 

https://www.amazon.com/Swift-PG27UQ-G-SYNC-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07F1VGGLK?pldnSite=1

 

That is an absolutely PERFECT accurate 10 bit  Quantum Dot IPS LCD Panel which has Gaming features and 144 HZ GSYNC.

 

Nothing wrong with that monitor at all. Your EYEBALLS will love you for buying it. That monitor delivers real world color in spades which when you think about it will also really enhance the lasted games that support HDR and PBR based render paths.

 

The only thing to watch out for is the insane Bandwidth requirements at 4K once you get past 60 HZ which requires VERY CAREFUL attention to settings, CABLE CHOICE and of course GPU.

 

I'm not sure which games do PBR but with 4K to work with, you can always run at 1/2 that resolution to allow the video card and cabling to push HDR color at higher refresh for an awesome visual experience.

Obviously you don't seem to get what I am saying here, so I am going to use small words to explain to you: I do not care what type of panel is in the monitor, I do not use the monitor for anything that needs real world color, so a $300 monitor is more then sufficient for my needs, I do not need to spend $1500 (nor would I). Why spend over a grand for a monitor that I will get 2 or 3 years at most use out of before it becomes obsolete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517
27 minutes ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Obviously you don't seem to get what I am saying here, so I am going to use small words to explain to you: I do not care what type of panel is in the monitor, I do not use the monitor for anything that needs real world color, so a $300 monitor is more then sufficient for my needs, I do not need to spend $1500 (nor would I). Why spend over a grand for a monitor that I will get 2 or 3 years at most use out of before it becomes obsolete.

The largest WHY in small words is:

 

WHY start a thread for advice on monitors when you intend to buy the lowest cost JUNK?

 

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517

For reference, for current and FUTURE (Google search etc) readers of this thread, the quality  of GOOD LCD Monitors has been very excellent for quite some years now and I expect that trend to continue. Much useful information has been recorded in this thread and the "joke" aspect of some of it, should not need to distract from that.

 

The expected lifetime use of a quality panel is 10 years or more and worth some extra investment since your eyeballs benefit from the improvement immediately and through the lifetime of the Panel.

 

Personally, for various reasons I have been buying ASUS ProArt monitors with gorgeous panel quality and 10 bit panels and expect to keep using each one for many more years to come. The VALUE this represents is significantly better than buying cheap junk every 2 years.

 

For fun, I just bought an old Dell UltraSharp  panel for $25 and it displays material SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than a brand new junk or mid-range monitor made this year. 2019 may seem like the future, but every year there is still a marketplace for low cost junk and it still gets made.

 

ASUS ProArt, Dell UltraSharp, HP DreamColor and the other QUALITY products lines I listed previously, will still look great many years from now and are highly suggested to people who spend any significant time in front of a computer!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Circaflex    3,564
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jnelsoninjax said:

Obviously you don't seem to get what I am saying here, so I am going to use small words to explain to you: I do not care what type of panel is in the monitor, I do not use the monitor for anything that needs real world color, so a $300 monitor is more then sufficient for my needs, I do not need to spend $1500 (nor would I). Why spend over a grand for a monitor that I will get 2 or 3 years at most use out of before it becomes obsolete.

Dont sweat it, honestly his recommendations are often over the top and then hell ramble on about some nonsense no one is asking about. if you're happy, and the monitor fits your price point great. you can always return it if you do not enjoy it. I mean, MVCs can edit their post, yet hell post one right after another to pad his post count. its so strange.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517
2 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Dont sweat it, honestly his recommendations are often over the top and then hell ramble on about some nonsense no one is asking about. if you're happy, and the monitor fits your price point great. you can always return it if you do not enjoy it. I mean, MVCs can edit their post, yet hell post one right after another to pad his post count. its so strange.

Oh that's too funny! Nothing strange going on when objectives are the usual fuzzy stuff - just accurate information being provided. Accuracy needs detail. If you don't want useful information, just don't read the thread. Rather simple isn't it?

 

Absolutely nowhere did he state any requirements other than "quality" - and then he asked me specifically for a list of suggested monitors.

 

ONLY in the very end did he state "I do not care what type of panel is in the monitor" - So what really. There are tons of threads where it takes a huge number of posts for the OP to finally decide what his actual objectives really is and this one is not even close to the length of many of those.

 

If you don't care about the LCD Panel, that leaves the following OTHER parts of a monitor:

 

1. power supply

 

2. connections

 

3. stand

 

4. plastic bezel

 

5. misc features such as GSYNC

 

6. the manufacturers Logo.

 

But also very strange, he did not indicate an interest in any of those items either except GSYNC as an optional interest.

 

SO:

 

Since nothing was specified and in the title of the thread he wanted what was "good" I started with a focus on monitor quality which means the LCD Panel which is a quality independent of the Brand. But in the end he didn't care about that either and decided the ancient TN panel tech was good enough. Yuck! Any other humans like TN panels?

 

Translate those revised requirements and you get for the actual objective:

 

"The cheapest possible 4K monitor with a junk TN panel that has GSYNC"

 

Since that objective is easily achieved by buying a garbage product, and is hardly worth making a thread for, I leave all of the actually useful information in place for other people who want a "good" monitor.

 

If monitors don't interest you, then don't read the information.

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xendrome    5,524
On 4/27/2019 at 5:56 AM, DevTech said:

 

Since nothing was specified and in the title of the thread he wanted what was "good" I started with a focus on monitor quality which means the LCD Panel which is a quality independent of the Brand. But in the end he didn't care about that either and decided the ancient TN panel tech was good enough. Yuck! Any other humans like TN panels?

 

Translate those revised requirements and you get for the actual objective:

 

"The cheapest possible 4K monitor with a junk TN panel that has GSYNC"

 

Since that objective is easily achieved by buying a garbage product, and is hardly worth making a thread for, I leave all of the actually useful information in place for other people who want a "good" monitor.

 

If monitors don't interest you, then don't read the information.

 

 

 

 

Bro you aren't helpful at all once you start to go down the rant route, which is like EVERY thread you touch.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidosho    652
On 4/27/2019 at 10:56 AM, DevTech said:

Oh that's too funny!

No offense Dev, as I used to love your attitude when I was frequently here, but now, you LOVE the sound of your own voice, you're a digital narcissist, posting one after the other just to hear yourself. You're a bit like BudMan, he fancies himself, too, and insults people's choice. The reason I've stopped frequenting here and gone to Tom's. This place has gone so much downhill. It's like you're all competing against each other instead of being a TEAM. A bit like my second job at Amazon!

 

Geez!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mindovermaster    2,359
24 minutes ago, Tidosho said:

No offense Dev, as I used to love your attitude when I was frequently here, but now, you LOVE the sound of your own voice, you're a digital narcissist, posting one after the other just to hear yourself. You're a bit like BudMan, he fancies himself, too, and insults people's choice. The reason I've stopped frequenting here and gone to Tom's. This place has gone so much downhill. It's like you're all competing against each other instead of being a TEAM. A bit like my second job at Amazon!

 

Geez!

Well, BudMan is different... But I do agree with you...

  • Facepalm 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DevTech    1,517
7 hours ago, xendrome said:

Bro you aren't helpful at all once you start to go down the rant route, which is like EVERY thread you touch.

 

5 hours ago, Tidosho said:

No offense Dev, as I used to love your attitude when I was frequently here, but now, you LOVE the sound of your own voice, you're a digital narcissist, posting one after the other just to hear yourself. You're a bit like BudMan, he fancies himself, too, and insults people's choice. The reason I've stopped frequenting here and gone to Tom's. This place has gone so much downhill. It's like you're all competing against each other instead of being a TEAM. A bit like my second job at Amazon!

 

Geez!

 

4 hours ago, Mindovermaster said:

Well, BudMan is different... But I do agree with you...

 

After a bit of LOL about how petty this is, I will simply say that I don't agree with your flawed logic.

 

So, it doesn't matter how many times you repeat something that is wrong (Trump's favorite technique) it still does not make it correct. If two or more people say something that is wrong, it is still wrong. Just that simple.

 

It is insanely trivial and petty to worry about the amount of text on a screen. If a few extra words challenge your reading skills, just skip over them and ignore the text. The extra bandwidth might be of concern if you were connected to the internet via a 300 BAUD MODEM on Moonbase Alpha, and presumably you would have "bigger fish to fry", but I guess silliness could prevail there as well...

 

The OP specifically asked for my specific monitor suggestions with the ONLY extant criteria at that point in time being QUALITY and optional GSYNC if possible.

 

Subsequent to that out of the blue, he presumably assigned maximum priority to the GSYNC criteria and decided he could live with a TN Panel which I just didn't see coming since his current monitor has an IPS Panel.

 

I pointed out that this was incongruous with objectives and then he went into Troll Mode...

 

-------

 

Everything else was a failed attempt to educate people that the quality of the LCD Panel on the inside is more important than the BRAND NAME on the outside. Even with the @adrenilinetrying to explain that as well, the final choice of a TN panel and the general subsequent ridiculous comments sure as heck indicates why big corps spend a lot of money on branding instead of making their products better!

 

If I could have communicated such a simple idea in a single post, I would have been happy to do so.

 

I will continue to educate and help people as best as I can and if you don't like that, it is SO SIMPLE! Just skip over my posts and don't reply to them. Really, it is just plain old 8 bit text scrolling past your eyeballs into internet history oblivion. So enough with this trivial petty stuff, lets just provide accurate information and help others!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
astropheed    2,294

Have you received the information you need?

 

If this delves ever further into frivolous commentary I will lock the thread. If I see any more passive aggressive remark from either side I will gladly diffuse the situation. This place should—and will—be a nice place to ask and answer questions. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
+jnelsoninjax    12,059

@astropheed, Yes I did get the information I was looking for, please feel free to lock this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jim K    13,627

Locked as requested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.